Donor action or custom

I have not seen anyone I really trust nor have I gotten my hands on an axom to see how it functions and I'm particularly interested in timing. So far the best three lug action I've used is the GAP Tempest, an absalutely sweet functioning action with some amazing design features that make it run excellent. I really want to see if the axom will match it.

I have not seen anyone I really trust nor have I gotten my hands on an axom to see how it functions and I'm particularly interested in timing. So far the best three lug action I've used is the GAP Tempest, an absalutely sweet functioning action with some amazing design features that make it run excellent. I really want to see if the axom will match it.

I am interested in hearing some first hand reports on the Axiom as well. My take is that The action is supposed to be an affordable option for a full custom build... something that will make truing a factory action no longer the most affordable path to an accurate long range setup. But no frills.

I have rifles built on stillers, defiance actions, and one built on a rem 700 La. I wont ever build on a remington action again. It could just be my bad experience and not normal but i have extraction problems with the factory rem extractor, had to have it timed, had to pay to have an aftermarket bolt knob installed, had to pay to have it trued and it has a bottom bolt release, and i had to add a rail to it.

After all that expenditure it still is just a rem 700 action, it shoots well but i would very much prefer to have a custom action. If i ever need to sell the rifle, it appears that it is much more difficult to sell a trued up rem 700 built rife vs one built on a custom as well, judging by the classified forums.

The custom actions just "feel" better to me. Have a better extraction setup, timing, extraction, plus if you ever re-barrel your pretty much giving your gunsmith a known quality item to work with.
I personally will never build on a trued remington again. But would happily barrel my own savage action with a barrel nut, it personally seems to be worth the savings to me. Just my opinion.

I have rifles built on stillers, defiance actions, and one built on a rem 700 La. I wont ever build on a remington action again. It could just be my bad experience and not normal but i have extraction problems with the factory rem extractor, had to have it timed, had to pay to have an aftermarket bolt knob installed, had to pay to have it trued and it has a bottom bolt release, and i had to add a rail to it.

After all that expenditure it still is just a rem 700 action, it shoots well but i would very much prefer to have a custom action. If i ever need to sell the rifle, it appears that it is much more difficult to sell a trued up rem 700 built rife vs one built on a custom as well, judging by the classified forums.

The custom actions just "feel" better to me. Have a better extraction setup, timing, extraction, plus if you ever re-barrel your pretty much giving your gunsmith a known quality item to work with.
I personally will never build on a trued remington again. But would happily barrel my own savage action with a barrel nut, it personally seems to be worth the savings to me. Just my opinion.

That's completely contradictory. You dislike a customized and blueprinted Rem 700 action because it's not as refined as a custom action, but you have no problem building on an untouched Savage factory action... I'm calling bull. I used to sell guns at a gun store, and I've handled and shot just about every major brand of rifle in America, and some from other countries. And in my opinion (based on feel alone, not function or personal preference bias) Savage factory actions feel cheap and clunky compared to a 700. Howa actions also feel loose and junky. I had a 1500 .223 heavy barrel for years, and the bolt was so loose on it, that I thought if I wiggled it hard enough it might pop out past the bolt-stop...But it never did. I don't like Weatherby rifles either, but the Mark V is an exceptional action for smoothness and strength. The Browning A-Bolt II actions are also excellent.

I do have a bias towards 700's, as they are my favorite, but I am not saying Savages are bad. I'm just saying that a stock Savage action will in no way, shape, or form, be anywhere near as smooth as a properly blueprinted and worked 700. It's just not physically possible. Even my stock 700 actions are nowhere near as smooth as my blueprinted and worked 700 actions.

Screwing a prefit barrel on a savage to have a reasonably accurate, easy to clean barrel, that has the potential to be a great shooter that extracts well, and doesnt have to be timed MYSELF, is a lot cheaper than pouring tons of money into a remington action.

Thank you for calling bull.

Im calling reading comprehension fail.

Key words there were "barrel my own". If im having a smith build me yet another full blown ground up custom rifle, i believe a custom action is the way to go.

If im barreling it myself the savage is fine, my 243 works perfectly well for a walking coyote gun. But my trued rem 700 338 edge isnt nearly as nice as the latest i had Kevin build on a defiance.

And yep savages do feel a little clunky, but for the cost diference between rebarreling a savage myself, and having a smith true and a barrel installation on a rem 700 is rather large. Cost is the qualifyer here. If i was trying to save money, going with a rem700 wouldnt be the way i would try to save.

This crowd....

Screwing a prefit barrel on a savage to have a reasonably accurate, easy to clean barrel, that has the potential to be a great shooter that extracts well, and doesnt have to be timed MYSELF, is a lot cheaper than pouring tons of money into a remington action.

Thank you for calling bull.

Im calling reading comprehension fail.

I probably wouldn't have if you had just admitted that you prefer the customs and savages, over the 700. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't compare a stock Savage action to a fully-blueprinted 700, and say the Savage is better without giving any further detail as to why (which you elaborated on in your 2nd post, but not your 1st post). If you prefer the customs and the Savage that's perfectly fine, that is your prerogative. But in your first post, what you said came off like you were comparing a stock V6 Mustang to a Shelby GT350R, and trying to convince someone the V6 Mustang is the better option.

It was just a miscommunication, that's all.

I probably wouldn't have if you had just admitted that you prefer the customs and savages, over the 700. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't compare a stock Savage action to a fully-blueprinted 700, and say the Savage is better without giving any further detail as to why. If you prefer the customs and the Savage that's perfectly fine, that is your prerogative. But what you said is basically like comparing a stock V6 Mustang to a Shelby GT350R, and trying to convince someone the V6 Mustang is the better option.

Edit:And i guess i should have read your reply a little closer, miscommunication it was. Interweb communication lacks personality and inflection. And removing the needlessly confrontational illustrator i inserted into this reply :\

No what i said was this, pouring money into that stock v6 mustang (rem 700) and trying to turn it into a gt350R isnt the route I would go.

But adding a Demon 4 barrel to my old 400 small block chevy(savage) makes more sense, if i want to save money and go a little faster.

And i wouldnt have a problem either if you didnt insert a needlessly confrontational phrase into your post when you obviously didnt comprehend what i was actually trying to convey, OR i didnt communicate it correctly.And i did admit i like them better. Thats the gist of the entire reply i made......

I would not spend money truing a savage either OR a remington ever again. But i will happily screw on a barrel to the savage. Does that clarify it?

No what i said was this, pouring money into that stock v6 mustang (rem 700) and trying to turn it into a gt350R isnt the route I would go.

But adding a Demon 4 barrel to my old 400 small block chevy(savage) makes more sense, if i want to save money and go a little faster.

And i wouldnt have a problem either if you didnt insert a needlessly confrontational phrase into your post when you obviously didnt comprehend what i was actually trying to convey, OR i didnt communicate it correctly.And i did admit i like them better, did you not read my post? Thats the gist of the entire reply i made......

Thank you for reading and comprehending this.<---- (needlessly confrontational on my part) and not really needed. Just like the calling bull......over comprehension failure.

You're right...I do have a desperate need for overcompensation. Excellent call Dr. Freud.

Your first post did not elaborate on the "why" the Savage part. It did elaborate plenty on the dislike of the 700. Which, I keep reading about these issues from others, but have not experienced myself with any of mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts