Does BC matters?

you wanna jump from a 230 or 245 from a 215 or 210 because of a B.C number isn't gaining nothing really unless you want to or rifle shoots it better.
Theres more to gain if your rifle shoots say 6" or 7" groups by tuning it better at 700 to 3 to 4" groups.

Depends how you skin the cat. When I'm deciding on a cartridge I find which bullet I want to shoot, then I decide on the velocity I want/need to push said bullet then I look at cartridges capable of producing that velocity with said bullet. Once its all together tune it until it shoots. I haven't had to change to other bullets yet, if I do my part my long range rig will hold .5moa to 1000 yards.

If you just straight change from a 215 to a 245 in say a 300WM ya it's negligible or even possibly detrimental due to velocity loss, but put that 245 in a RUM that will send it as fast as the 215 out of a WM now it's a clear difference.

I shot partitions for years and anybody who has much knows that they literally die after 500 yards. Comparing a Partion to a Berger past 500 is like an Apple to an Orange.
My comparison was to show just because
you wanna jump from a 230 or 245 from a 215 or 210 because of a B.C number isn't gaining nothing really unless you want to or rifle shoots it better.
Theres more to gain if your rifle shoots say 6" or 7" groups by tuning it better at 700 to 3 to 4" groups.
The partition reminds of a cannon ball flying through the air compared to a Berger like a missile.
I have said it a million times, but accuracy trumps BC and velocity in almost every case, because in your example, a 7" inch group leaves you only 1.5" inches of wind call error in order to be 100% confident you will hit (10" target). Drop that to 3" at 700 yards, and you have 3.5" inches of wind call error, which is huge. Short of an APFSDS round, there isn't a BC or velocity around that makes up for that difference.

Last edited:
Regardless of range, while it is NOT the only factor, "I" like my BC to be as high as possible.

BC clearly matters. A friend of mine helped a buddy harvest this Bull Elk at 1225 yds. One shot and fell dead right there. Used a 300WM. The data for the load is seen in the table. Bullet penetrated fully and not recovered was a 195 gr BD2 hitting at an estimated 1761fps. For shooter it was his introducton to Bulldozers. Needless to say, he was impressed. Clearly these BD2 pills are designed for long range with a high BC for its weight giving it a very effective long range terminal performance
#661 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/badlands-precision-bullets-thread-from-bc-to-terminal-ballistics.245696/page-48