Does anyone see a difference using different primers?

You measure crush by how far below the face of the brass the primer sits. As in how far pushed into pocket.
That's missing a bit.
Mikecr, how do you measure primer crush?
I use an indicated K&M primer seater.
It accounts for each pocket depth, and each primer height, with zeroing of the indicator. Then I seat to zero plus additional pre-sensitizing (crush).
I set primer pocket depths with a Sinclair uniformer beforehand so that my desired crush also puts cups nearly the same depth from casehead.

I do this and other things as standards (always, every round), so that when I have an issue that manifests as a change, I can at least rule out my ammo.

That's missing a bit.

I use an indicated K&M primer seater.
It accounts for each pocket depth, and each primer height, with zeroing of the indicator. Then I seat to zero plus additional pre-sensitizing (crush).
I set primer pocket depths with a Sinclair uniformer beforehand so that my desired crush also puts cups nearly the same depth from casehead.

I do this and other things as standards (always, every round), so that when I have an issue that manifests as a change, I can at least rule out my ammo.
I uniform pockets and flashholes once. You know the depth and the height of the primer so crush is easy to figure out by how far below the face the primer is.

That said, i have got to say you have taken crush to a whole new level. That is a level of dedication i just don't have.

Yes, there is a difference. This photo shows the effect of a swap between a Federal LRP and a CCI LRP and a Winchester LRP. Five ambient bore temperature shots each group. All other factors of the load and brass being identical as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    966.7 KB · Views: 56
I've handloaded for years now, and used different primers whether it is different brands or match or whatever. But have never seen any difference in any of them. No accuracy, speeds, or powder burn. I want to know what y'all's experience has been not necessarily wanting to hear hearsay but first hand experience.
I can only speak from experience so here goes. In my 100-yard shooting, I saw very little difference, 1/2 moa maybe. Chronograph showed 150+/- fps between some of the primers. I've compared BenchRest primers, Magnum, and standard, and all but the European flavors. Beyond 100yds those differences increase. I would not advise jumping around between primers in the same load and expecting the same results. Likewise, I would work up a new load whenever a primer change takes place. Take your pet load and back off a grain or 1 1/2 and start over. Looking for pressure signs and a new accuracy node. All primers are not created equal (brands and types anyway) In today's environment of scarce components (primers especially) I can understand the need to maybe mix things up in order to keep shooting. Have a way to identify which rounds have which primers in them. They will all shoot to a different POI. Record your scope settings for correct POI with that particular load. If your scope is good then, you should be able to just dial in a previously known good zero and proceed with your business. I settled on CCI200's Many years ago. With the primer shortage, I was recently able to score on two bricks of Rem 9 1/2 primers. I loaded up my pet load with the Rem's and the group was 3 inches at 300yds. I fiddled with the powder charge and a drop of 3/4gr brought my groups back to where I needed them to be. The Chrony didn't reflect anything different all within my SD and ES, I'm thinking the burn rate of the powder might have been affected by the primer change.

It is impossible to predict when, why, and how much powder ignition is affected with a primer/flash hole/powder type/exposed column/load density, and any striking changes. But changing primers does usually change results.
So I think it can be declared that primers present more than simple powder ignition.

When I had to optimize striking, to recover consistent grouping, never in the failure & testing did a primer fail to ignite powder.
Whether results were great or terrible, the gun always fired.