Does anyone see a difference using different primers?

Lee7588

I've handloaded for years now, and used different primers whether it is different brands or match or whatever. But have never seen any difference in any of them. No accuracy, speeds, or powder burn. I want to know what y'all's experience has been not necessarily wanting to hear hearsay but first hand experience.

Oh yes I see a difference. Some not as much as others but there is definitely a difference. At this point though I'm happy to get whatever I can.
I agree on being able to get whatever you can I just looked and I was running low on primer's. What difference is are you seeing?

I've handloaded for years now, and used different primers whether it is different brands or match or whatever. But have never seen any difference in any of them. No accuracy, speeds, or powder burn. I want to know what y'all's experience has been not necessarily wanting to hear hearsay but first hand experience.
The main difference I recall was my groups would get larger. I used to zero at 400 yards when there were ranges available close to me. I would see some variation on the SD on velocity but not that much. But in this day and age get what primers you can get your hands on. I used to use different primers when I wanted to optimize a load, but honestly that day has passed until availability comes back.

I agree on being able to get whatever you can I just looked and I was running low on primer's. What difference is are you seeing?
I sometimes see 100 fps difference in velocity, and of course there is accuracy differences too. On AR15's you can see dents from the floating firing pins. But mainly it's velocity and accuracy differences.

Primers are "How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin". Outside of competitive shooting, never found enough difference to warrant the messing around and I did a LOT of messing around with them at one time. I never found a rifle I couldn't tune a load for, that needed a different primer to solve grouping issues. I also load ALL hunting rounds with Magnum primers, due to the fact we hunt often in extreme cold weather, and do the load workup with them from the beginning. 65 grains and under get CCI 250, over that Fed 215 or Winchester Mags. I value reliable ignition far above the last .1 group size on hunting rounds.

The comment however about the 22 Hornet is accurate, Small Pistol Primers produce MUCH better groups than small rifle primers due to the softer ignition. A light crimp on the case will produce the same result with Small Rifle primers. It is all about keeping the bullet from leaving the case mouth before full powder ignition.

Last edited:
I understand that any combo can be tuned, and a primer changed with the same powder and be retuned. Even though none may give the desired result.? Or they both might be great.

Can you explain the part about "showing up straight away" please

I'll say one more time then I'm out. If you want the most accuracy your rifle has to offer you need to find the primer the combo prefers and I can assure you most have a very noticeable preference. This is a long range hunting forum. If you're shooting deer at 100 yards who cares. If you're actually long range hunting you owe it to the animal.