Does anyone have a lightweight hunting rig in 6.5-280 Ackley

I am talking in the 7.5 - 8.5 lb (9lbs tops)range complete with optics, because that is my target range for this next build. My intended optic choice is 21.8oz and ring choice are 1.6oz each.

Forgot to add, intended load is Berger 140gr VLD-H with a healthy dose of N165

I have been told more than once that recoil would be to harsh for the kids and possibly the gf.

Thanks
I'd consider the advise of a good muzzle brake and look into a decent recoil pad. I linked an article written Steve Timms regarding the 6.5-280 AI. He went over loads that Chub Eastman, Matt Smith, and him used for all kinds on game including trophy elk. Lighter bullet selection would help with recoil. If you decide not to go the muzzle brake recoil pad route. Good luck.

And like the others have said, only the kids and girlfriend can tell you in the recoil is too hard. The good news is if you can reload then you can make lighter recoiling loads.

An obnoxious brake can generate a flinch just as much as recoil. I'd use a 90 degree brake to mitigate noise/concussion as much as possible.

Shooter sensitivity also applies when it comes to MB design. I have a few MBs that peeps complain about noise/concussion but I have no issues but I wear proper hearing protection.

Last edited:
An obnoxious brake can generate a flinch just as much as recoil. I'd use a 90 degree brake to mitigate noise/concussion as much as possible.
There all obnoxious, its why I hate um but they have there place.
I've shot alot of different brakes none have impacted me behind the trigger but beside a shooter is different story.

A pungent fart can induce recoil. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Any wildcat using a sharp shoulder and an overbore amount of powder - >68 grains (depending on powder of choice) out of a long action is going to have some punch. It is inherent to the case, even though technically it is a "non-magnum" which IMO is a misnomer. Yes, it has a standard bolt face but there is very little standard about the cartridge.
Any 6 lb rifle is going to kick. Even with a brake there is going to be some punch.
My question is if that is the only rifle you have for them? If so, yes maybe a lighter load.
As far as a big recoil pad goes, that would probably help but with young shooters, it can put them in a bad shooting position with a LOP that is way too long.

I have a 28 Nosler that comes in at just a couple ounces over 10lbs scoped, it has a good muzzle brake on it and it has less felt recoil than my 8lb 243 WSSM or my 9lb 6.5 Creeedmoor. I wouldn't hesitate to let my wife shoot it. If my daughters were big enough to even get behind this gun I'd probably let them shoot it. It's really amazing what a good brake can do, only bad part is if you shoot it without hearing protection you're going to hate yourself.

Like Feenix said, it will depend on the kid.

Is the shooter walking into cold, or is there time, and equipment to build up to it?
They have a 22lr, 223, 243 and a 7mm-08 rifle they routinely shoot, but they like the 22lr because it is an open sight model 94, they like the challenge, they would definitely be worked up to it

They have a 22lr, 223, 243 and a 7mm-08 rifle they routinely shoot, but they like the 22lr because it is an open sight model 94, they like the challenge, they would definitely be worked up to it
7mm-08 kills a lot of critters in the hands of a youth shooter - comfortable to shoot, little recoil, great choice

Not your caliber but my 120 lb daughter and my wife shoot a WTBY MK V Ultralight in 280 Rem and it weighs 7.4 lbs scoped and ready to go. It has a little recoil but very manageable. They also shoot 300 Rum but with a really good brake, but its about 11 lbs and they both hate carrying it. They both love to shoot the grendel tho...

8.2 lbs as it sits, 6.5x284N

Attachments

• 91BAA85B-3D63-4728-8B48-3801FCD3FE20.jpeg
    91BAA85B-3D63-4728-8B48-3801FCD3FE20.jpeg
    840.3 KB · Views: 61
I have a 6.5-280 AI built on my trusty old M700 by WTO. It has a Stocky's VG2 stock, 26" Proof barrel, B&A two-stage trigger, and tips the scale right at 9lb with the pictured Z6 3-18x50 (22oz I think). It was intended to be a medium-light rifle for back-pack Coues hunting... so light but still really accurate and easy to shoot. The brake is from WTO, and it cuts the recoil substantially.... feels about like my friends un-braked 243 or my (heavier) 25CM for comparison.

CBnsPd3.jpg

This is a 308 I just built/assembled myself with a Kelbly Atlas Tactical, Preferred Barrel blanks prefit, Bix n Andy tac trigger (Awesome trigger), Graybow stock and their Hunter bottom metal. Bedded the action and went to the range this past Saturday for break in and first range session with some generic loads. Comes in at 7.25 Lbs without bipod. Both targets reflect a high clean cold bore shot. I can't wait to do some load development and further testing. These were generic loads with a 168 Amax and 180 Accubond loaded with a mild load of Varget. I also have a 22" 7-08 switch barrel for this setup. Waiting for my YHM QD brake for my Resonator suppressor. Will use this on my upcoming Coues deer hunt in late November.

image.jpg

6030D0F5-B8C6-464D-A5EC-60DEBAA168F4.jpeg
2A56EF66-2D4B-49DB-94F7-86A7973FEEAA.jpeg