Does anyone have a 7 wsm reamer?

arrow

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have looked everywhere to try to find a saami spec 7 WSM reamer. I am looking to shoot a 180 berger hybrid at 2.950" oal (Wyatts extended center feed box). From one rental place we got what was supposed to be a .000 freebore reamer but it ended up being 3.050" oal touching with a 180 hybrid. And been trying to contact 4D rentals for a while now to see what their freebore is on their reamer and they won't answer phone calls, respond to voicemails, or answer emails. I am having John Beanland chamber my barrel and looking to see if anyone here would rent their reamer to him for a couple days? Thanks

A 180 hybrid will not touch the lands at a length of 2.950" with zero freebore. At that length, the distance from the case base to front of the bullet bearing surface will be about 2.100". That is the length of the brass. You will need about .010" clearance in front of the brass and then you will have about .015" for the transition angle before you get to the lands if you have zero freebore. So it's going to take a length of 2.975" to contact with zero freebore.

With a SAAMI spec reamer it won't even be close to touching at 2.950".

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have looked everywhere to try to find a saami spec 7 WSM reamer. I am looking to shoot a 180 berger hybrid at 2.950" oal (Wyatts extended center feed box). From one rental place we got what was supposed to be a .000 freebore reamer but it ended up being 3.050" oal touching with a 180 hybrid. And been trying to contact 4D rentals for a while now to see what their freebore is on their reamer and they won't answer phone calls, respond to voicemails, or answer emails. I am having John Beanland chamber my barrel and looking to see if anyone here would rent their reamer to him for a couple days? Thanks
This is exactly why the 7mm Sherman Shortmag was designed and developed! Coal with a 180 is 2.920" to the lands and the bullet is seated where it belongs in the neck. Velocity with the 180 will exceed 3000'......rich

Thanks for all the advice. If I were to start over, I would have went with a 7 saum more than likely, but I already have all the dies and brass for the WSM. That being said, I know its possible to get it to run out of a wyatts box, there are plenty out there doing just fine. Might be missing out on the last couple fps by having it that short, but to me its not worth buying all new dies and brass. With the wyatts box I can go as long as 2.975 but would like to keep it around 2.950 to chase the lands a bit. If a 0 freebore will get me touching at 2.975", that would be about perfect. That would give me .020" jump at the length I'm looking for and room to grow.

If I was going to seat the bullet with the bearing surface completely inside the case mouth, I would want a 284 Winchester size and style tapered throat except maybe change the taper to 2°.

You guys have some great ideas, and there probably are better rounds out there. I am sticking with the 7 WSM for now only because I am a few hundred dollars into brass and dies. Thanks

You guys have some great ideas, and there probably are better rounds out there. I am sticking with the 7 WSM for now only because I am a few hundred dollars into brass and dies. Thanks
A 7 WSM is fine but I don't think jumping a bullet at a 45° minimum diameter bore and groove is a good idea.

Last edited:
Why do you think that? What is everyone else doing shooting 180's out of an accurate mag or wyatts extended box doing? Are they are jumping .070" to the lands? That is the saami chamber, 0 freebore. As stated before, if I were to start over before getting dies and brass I would have went with the saum, but I'm stuck with it now. There are plenty of guys running 180s out of the WSM at short action mag length without problem. Could the 7 WSM shoot faster with a longer throat shooting in a long action or single shot? Yes. But for this rifle I'm looking to shoot 180 berger hybrid out of a stiller short action predator with mag length max at 2.975. Even with the magazine and velocity restrictions I am happy with the ballistics I will be getting for this purpose rifle. I'm not arguing and do appreciate the input, but I am stuck with the 7 WSM.

Why do you think that? What is everyone else doing shooting 180's out of an accurate mag or wyatts extended box doing? Are they are jumping .070" to the lands? That is the saami chamber, 0 freebore. As stated before, if I were to start over before getting dies and brass I would have went with the saum, but I'm stuck with it now. There are plenty of guys running 180s out of the WSM at short action mag length without problem. Could the 7 WSM shoot faster with a longer throat shooting in a long action or single shot? Yes. But for this rifle I'm looking to shoot 180 berger hybrid out of a stiller short action predator with mag length max at 2.975. Even with the magazine and velocity restrictions I am happy with the ballistics I will be getting for this purpose rifle. I'm not arguing and do appreciate the input, but I am stuck with the 7 WSM.
Pm sent

I think I finally figured out you are calling a SAAMI reamer a "0 freebore reamer". Originally I thought you were talking two different reamer specs.

A 7mm WSM SAAMI chamber isn't a true "zero freebore chamber". The shape of the throat causes you to have the same amount of space as you would have if you had .0477" of cylindrical freebore .0005" larger than bullet diameter. That will put your bullet contact point about 2.185" from the bolt face. Now add the .852" bullet nose length to that and you are real close to the 3.050" OAL length you currently have.

I see what your saying, the saami reamer print on the WSM is hard to read. It looks like there is 0 freebore. I still don't see where .0477" came from though, where is that? So 3.050" is where a 180 should sit for a saami chamber with a 180 hybrid? It looks like the tip to ogive length is .086" shorter on the 180 vld vs the 180 hybrid. So would that put oal around 2.964 touching with a 180 vld? Thanks again for the help.

I'm not seeing it, it looks like 0 to me. What am I reading wrong here?
7 reamer.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.