Anyone shooting a 6.5-06 Ackley?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm looking into the 6.5-06 Ackley for a future project. I've been reading old threads but I would like to get some fresh input on this round.

What really attracts me to the 06 ai is the availability of brass EVERYWHERE, coupled with reports of great performance.

Case forming sort of concerns me; Is the cream of wheat method a good way to form brass, and will the throat life be impacted at all? I would like to go this route vs. firing a bunch of reduced loads.

Lastly Is the velocity with 140's going to be anywhere near 3100 fps without really pushing it? I'm interested in using H1000 or Retumbo for temp stability.

This was on my to do list until I read about the 6.5 Sherman. Pm Rich aka elkaholic he is very helpful and knowledgeable about case design and forming and a great guy to talk to. He has the dies and reamer and I believe that he will even form the brass for you. Do a serch in the top right corner of your screen it will tell you what you need to know about it.

I'm looking into the 6.5-06 Ackley for a future project. I've been reading old threads but I would like to get some fresh input on this round.

What really attracts me to the 06 ai is the availability of brass EVERYWHERE, coupled with reports of great performance.

Case forming sort of concerns me; Is the cream of wheat method a good way to form brass, and will the throat life be impacted at all? I would like to go this route vs. firing a bunch of reduced loads.

Lastly Is the velocity with 140's going to be anywhere near 3100 fps without really pushing it? I'm interested in using H1000 or Retumbo for temp stability.

There something nostalgic about anything associated with the venerable -06 esp. when it accompanies a world renowned pioneer like Ackley ... if it's what you want GO FOR IT. :D Do a custom search on the top right corner for "6.5-06 Ackley Improved" for the LRH members shooting it.

I am not a big fan of the cream of wheat method or firing reduced loads to fire form brass. In my .270 AI, I developed accuracy loads for both .270 Win and .270 AI.

On my upcoming project I ordered a custom Hydraulic Form Die | Whidden Gunworks off my reamer's blueprint. As far as powders to use, that depends on what bullet and your barrel's twist rate ... you'll just have to experiment on the best combination; which is part of the fun. :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/KCqb_7UYh9k?t=6[/ame]

Good luck on your project.

I had a 6.5-06 AI built for my wife Travis at R Bros rifles did the work the fire from load and the AI load shot in the .1 and.2 she has shot it out to 1290 yards the fire from load just under 3000 fps and the hot load runs 3150 with 140 berger vld hunting bullets if you will look on R Bros web page you will see the 1290 target give Travis a call 306-791-4741

Thanks for the info guys, is there any reason why you don't use the COW method to fire form? It just makes sense to me only having one load to worry about, and getting full potential from the AI load from the get go.

When a fire form load shoots that good I see no reason not to shoot it she hunted and shot steel with hers for one season then she had AI brass the 1290 target she shot was with the FF load I have one of his 243 AIs that I did the same thing with not saying the COW wont work this is just the way I do it

Do not buy NEW norma 25-06 brass, you will probably regret it, donut issues.

This is the best advice I can give you other than...call Travis at RBros and have him put it together for you.

You will run 140s at 3100-3150 without any issues. Personally I don't use the cow method. I have concerns about running an abrasive material down the barrel and the fire form loads shoot well under .25 moa at the same speed as a 6.5-284. Most of my guys hunt with them if they run out of time.

I have a 6.5-06 AI with a 1 in 8 twist barrel built by Kirby Allen. I love the versatility of the round - anything from small coues deer on up to bear and elk. I built the rifle with the intention of running the Berger 140 gr. VLD, but it liked the 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip so well - I just couldn't justify the switch. I also have a load developed with the 165 gr. Matrix that runs 2,950 fps in a 26' barrel.

I use the COW method for fire-forming, but I use cornmeal instead of COW on top of 12-15 grains of pistol/shotgun powder (Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique,etc). Works great, saves a few dollars and saves a little wear on the barrel. I used a little TP in the neck to hold the meal in place. Firing was simple and straight forward. However, I didn't take into acct. the force with which those cotton fibers in the TP were leaving the barrel. They had a negative impact on my muzzlebrake - bent the gills. So just be sure to remove the muzzlebrake before firing.

I have a 6.5-06 AI with a 1 in 8 twist barrel built by Kirby Allen. I love the versatility of the round - anything from small coues deer on up to bear and elk. I built the rifle with the intention of running the Berger 140 gr. VLD, but it liked the 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip so well - I just couldn't justify the switch. I also have a load developed with the 165 gr. Matrix that runs 2,950 fps in a 26' barrel.

I use the COW method for fire-forming, but I use cornmeal instead of COW on top of 12-15 grains of pistol/shotgun powder (Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique,etc). Works great, saves a few dollars and saves a little wear on the barrel. I used a little TP in the neck to hold the meal in place. Firing was simple and straight forward. However, I didn't take into acct. the force with which those cotton fibers in the TP were leaving the barrel. They had a negative impact on my muzzlebrake - bent the gills. So just be sure to remove the muzzlebrake before firing.

Thanks for the forming info that's good to know

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.