Does anyone else do their long range hunting from a treestand or from the ground ?

dgr416

I have been wondering of anyone else does long range shooting from a tree stand .I have hunted from the tree stand most all my life and tried to in Alaska some but the trees were dinky .I like hunting powerlines and clear cuts .My longest tree stand shot was just 425 yards with my 338 win mag but it's harder to hold still in a treestand .I used to slip down to the bottom part and use the top for a bench rest .I once got four does all 350 yards .They were in a giant briar patch but it was terrible getting them out .In Alaska I mainly stalked but did try treestand for bears .

Much of the east coast long range work is done from tree stands /shooting towers. Getting above the brush to extend view is essential in some areas. There are some real nice setups on the eastern shore of Maryland over large crop fields where 1000 yard shots are available . Getting you platform as solid as possible seems to be your biggest task but it can be done . Good luck with your shooting.

Regular tree stands are difficult to do this with for many reasons; like a single tree sways in the wind, most tree stands have perforations in the platform which makes it difficult to use any form of shooting support. Not saying it can't be done, but its dependent on what you call long range. 425 yards from a tree is impressive, but 600+ would be extremely difficult at best. Many here in WI build large tower stands that sit on foundations and are "guyed" out and down to the ground. Some are like houses and have benches inside. My hunting is mostly from the ground and usually in some form of sitting position as this is what the terrain I hunt in dictates.

Define long range hunting from a tree stand. I've been able to range deer out to 770 yards from my platform 20' up a tree. The only time I could even consider taking that shot would be the first and last hour of daylight. Even shooting from it at half that range was difficult due to movement from wind. In my rifle hunting area, finding trees big enough on edges of clear-cuts is tough. Usually 10-12" diameter trees at the location the stand is hung is typical. I've passed up so many shots from these scenarios that now I only hunt areas where shots are 200-300 yards max. I do prefer hunting from a treestand with a rifle as it definitely does offer better shot opportunities. For me tho, I had to minimize range from wind being an issue in both my confidence and shooting ability.

As an "average hunter," I like to stay grounded (pun intended) while LRH and utilize as much stabilization support I can get. The longest wild game harvest thus far is 931Y. I have only used a tree stand while bowhunting.

As well I fall in the "Average Hunter" category and stay on the ground ( mostly due to years of self abuse ) but I have shot 600 plus out of a Box Blind that was set up nice
You two are getting some mileage on this "average hunter" business. Its possibly true on this site, but hardly the case amongst the masses of mere mortals. Lol Glad you are humble and helpful gentlemen.

You two are getting some mileage on this "average hunter" business. Its possibly true on this site, but hardly the case amongst the masses of mere mortals. Lol Glad you are humble and helpful gentlemen.
Aye Sir! I still have much to learn. From day one, I learn that there is always somebody far better than I am with far more knowledge and real-world experience.

Since I've started hunting from an elevated platform, I've been very successful. Started out looking across half mile long clear cuts to now staring down a hilly 250 yard opening in the hardwoods. It's not what I'd consider LR hunting but from a tree while it's slightly swaying, it sure seems like LR shooting. Last November I was in that stand with 30+ mph winds. I had to climb down fearing for my safety. Stayed on the ground till winds picked up and trees started falling when at that point I called it a day. Unfortunately where I hunt every rifle opener, winds gas almost everyday. Hunting elevated stands allows better coverage but occasionally shots can't be executed from those winds. Almost makes a guy wish he didn't see the target animal to begin with when a shot can't be made.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.