Hunting from the ground with a ghille suit

Not here in CO, must wear hunter orange in both muzzy and rifle season....you could do it during bow season if you wanted to though.

Seen a few guys wearing lightweight leafy camo suits for bow season, but full blown ghille suits can be pretty hot and heavy and bow season here on CO can get "hot" during the day.
I have a new ghille suit I will sell you cheap ! bought it for coyotes and dont use it !

I have a leafy bug suit, can't remember the brand off hand. I was bow elk hunting, standing in a huckleberry patch and calf calling. I had just sprayed down with scent killer.
I had 3 elk calfs run right up to me.
I could have reached out and touched any of the three. They must have though I was a bush.
I couldn't resist not messing with them.
I flicked a finger on my bow grip and two out of the three fell over backwards into the huckleberries and ran off about 10 yards.
I calf called again and they walked back to me.
About this time, the cows found the calfs and stared at me. After about 30 seconds, the mommas started feeding at 30 yards from me.
I was hearing a bull raking his horns, so I let the nursery group feed off.
The bull never showed, but it was hilarious watching these calfs not listen to their mommas.
The cows would be calling to the calfs while the calfs would be running all over creation.
Sorry, that was long winded, but I believe in ghillie suits!

Tried one once, to hot, to heavy got tired of puling out brires. Thew it away.

Made a bushrag (think poncho style ghillie held in place by a belt around the waist) that I used one year. Got caught in the middle of a field road on the property by a doe. We stood about 5 yds apart and eyed each other until she finally walked off into the woods. I believe anything that breaks your outline works.

If you will be shooting 500+ yards you really don't need the ghillie. You just need to be still and watch the area carefully. If you are far enough that you don't feel scent will be a problem then sight won't either. Most of the animals we hunt have far better sense of smell than eyesight.

A few years ago while duck hunting with my son I thought I would try out my Ghille Suite. Well there I was standing upright out in the marsh watching several ducks when suddenly a Mallard came in from somewhere behind me, so close that I thought he hit me in the head with one of his wings. Boy he was going so fast that he must have been nearly sub-sonic. Before I had a chance to get my gun up, he was gone and my son was having a fit laughing ,:eek:

My friend was muzzleloader hunting in Iowa this past season in a ghillie suit. He was laying on the ground and a bobcat came up from behind and jumped on his head. Scratched his face up pretty good.
I thought you had to wear hunter orange out there? Well except if your on private property.

My friend was muzzleloader hunting in Iowa this past season in a ghillie suit. He was laying on the ground and a bobcat came up from behind and jumped on his head. Scratched his face up pretty good.

I just about died when I read this.. Imagine trying to explain it to the wife or the folks at work.. Lucky the bobcat wasn't feeling romantic too..

While hunting a very large wheat field on a buddy's place, a group of deer kept giving me the slip. It seemed no matter how quietly I moved, or circled the field in the tree line and then came back out, these dang deer were always on the opposite corner... that evening I ghillied up and moved to the middle of the field. Sure enough they came back, and did not run from the bush out in the middle of the field. With the distance cut in half, and equi distant no matter where they came out, it was a viable strategy. Well that evening there was a buck, that no longer thinks so, or much of anything.

I've only used a gillie suit for calling coyotes. It is too much of a hassle to use for big game. For most of my western big game spot and stalk hunting a gillie suit wouldn't provide any great benefit.

my property is too thick for a ghillie suit. i have one, maybe i'll try one day. i'd be worried the deer would smell me though. plus, i have to wear some sort of blaze orange when hunting that can be visible from 360 degrees. a ghille seems pointless if i've got to put on a hat or vest.

Just curious if anyone else uses a ghille suit to hunt. I've really only got 2 productive spots on my property that a ghillie suit has any real practical application. I will say I got spoiled 5 years ago when one of the guys down stairs from the sniper committee suggested trying a ghillie suit with a rifle to kill a 4 year old doe who completely had my number in one of my bow stands, this was only the 3rd time in my life I had ever hunted with a rifle considering it was a bow or nothing, well needless to say that was an awesome experience. I went full blown using an ozonics, brushing in my spot, and my ghillie as well. I've got to say I was a bit skeptical until I watched a male red fox walk only 10-15 from me headed out to the field, at that time I knew I was doing the right things. All brushed in with my ghillie tied in with all the local vegetation I waited, she came out at the same time looking at the climber and trying to wind me, I'm sure in her mind she was like I'm gonna stomp and screech at you again ensuring this spot sucks to hunt. Well a 165 grain .300 WM put a stop to that. That was it from this point on I spend this time to brush in prefabed spots for ground hunting. This year Im not too concerned with scent considering all my shots will the 485, 355, and 515. For the record I will still be using an ozone elimination system. So thats my story, and thats how I got hooked on ground hunting with a ghillie suit. Just my 2 cents if any of you guys decide to try it make sure you get a suit almost too big so you can put some cold weather gear under it.

Brad
Hey brother. Can you give me the info on your counter surveillance kit?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.