Do I invest in a 6.5-300 PRC reamer? 6.5RUM or other mental 6.5...

OzRanger

Howdy folks.
So I'm getting my new house in the next month and tooling up with a new lathe, mill, reamers etc etc. Soooo... I can't help myself...
Sure, I could go out and buy a 7 RUM or 6.5-300 WBY, but if we didn't re-invent the wheel we'd still be rolling around on stone blocks.

I noticed that PTG now has 6.5 and 7mm-300PRC and 6.5-300PRC AI reamer available. Question is, would anyone actually want to use this, and, what kind of velocities do we think this could achieve. Any better than the above, don't know, any better performance than the big 6.5... probably unlikely. I'm thinking a twist of 1:9 because I do favour lighter, faster bullets. The 7mm looks setup for 180's though, I'd want to punch 120's to 140's maximum.

There are a number of considerations here, including brass availability etc. Basically I like hot-rods, and setting my barrel back doesn't bother me. For the amount of deer I shoot a barrel lasts me a long time, I have other work-horses around that do a great job ruining my savings account chewing powder.

I guess there will be a lot of opinions an SAUM's, WSM's, and 7mm rounds, but I'm kinda looking for ridiculous performance out of a 6.5 or 7mm. I guess the question is, is it worth it to be unique, or stick with current offerings in magnum or WSM actions... I'm also thinking of future value of the reamer/chambers. What would most people probably go for.... sorry if this is vague. Just putting the feelers out there to the universe really.

I like the 6.5Sherman, but there just isn't enough support here for it in Australia.

Geez Maaaate just buy a .264WM.
Maaaate :D I did say hot rod, unique, big 6.5, brass availability, magnum and WSM... 264 WM just doesn't have the velocity I'm looking for. I have a hot-rod 6mm that is mental and fills that 264WM void already. I might go to a magnum action for the simple fact I can chamber it in several different magnum cases later and just replace the barrels.

Howdy folks.
So I'm getting my new house in the next month and tooling up with a new lathe, mill, reamers etc etc. Soooo... I can't help myself...
Sure, I could go out and buy a 7 RUM or 6.5-300 WBY, but if we didn't re-invent the wheel we'd still be rolling around on stone blocks.

I noticed that PTG now has 6.5 and 7mm-300PRC and 6.5-300PRC AI reamer available. Question is, would anyone actually want to use this, and, what kind of velocities do we think this could achieve. Any better than the above, don't know, any better performance than the big 6.5... probably unlikely. I'm thinking a twist of 1:9 because I do favour lighter, faster bullets. The 7mm looks setup for 180's though, I'd want to punch 120's to 140's maximum.

There are a number of considerations here, including brass availability etc. Basically I like hot-rods, and setting my barrel back doesn't bother me. For the amount of deer I shoot a barrel lasts me a long time, I have other work-horses around that do a great job ruining my savings account chewing powder.

I guess there will be a lot of opinions an SAUM's, WSM's, and 7mm rounds, but I'm kinda looking for ridiculous performance out of a 6.5 or 7mm. I guess the question is, is it worth it to be unique, or stick with current offerings in magnum or WSM actions... I'm also thinking of future value of the reamer/chambers. What would most people probably go for.... sorry if this is vague. Just putting the feelers out there to the universe really.

I like the 6.5Sherman, but there just isn't enough support here for it in Australia.

Only you can answer that, investment or not. Good luck!

I get it. If I had the cash I'd be running as massively overbore .30 cal instead of my .300 win mag. I've always liked the overbore stuff. I say go for it and let us know how it goes.

Some tools are an "investment", some are just a "want", as others may have little or no interest in your "want". A .308 finish reamer is an "investment", as it will be used again and again and it'll generate $$$. A 8x57mm reamer might just be a "want" , as it has little to no interest from others. You have the skills to use that new mill and lathe? Chambering a rifle barrel isn't hard, but it does require a certain skill set to be proficient and efficient.

You might want to also invest in a cut-rifled barrel manufacture as the big 6.5's are hard on barrels. I built a 6.5 WSM that shot great up until about 500 rounds. I bring this up not to discourage you from building a 6.5 hotrod just letting you know how fast they can burn barrels out.

26 nosler, 100gr capacity, shoot 156 Bergers in a 28" barrel, should move them at 3250 or so. Very respectable ballistics at that speed.

I would just do a 26 Nosler. Brass, dies, reamers, and data can be bought off the shelf. No fire forming or starting out with no published data. It will push a 140 class bullet to 3400 and do what you want.

The limitations which will confront you are:

Barrel length
Powders available (very slow for heavies, more practical for lighter bullets)
Reamer designed for bullets chosen.

I have the 6.5-300 Weatherby, 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 PRC, all just about 100 grains of H2O. It's actually easier to load for the lighter bullets than those real heavy for caliber ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.