6.5 creed in tikka ctr or browning hell's canyon in 6.5 prc ?

I'd get the Hell's Canyon, because I already have the Tikka. If you do go with the Tikka, the stock is the only thing disappointing about it. Now that mine is in a chassis, it will shoot under half moa 5 shot groups, with Prime ammo.

If I were to buy a rifle on a budget, it would be an old Savage 110 (G serial #), put a good stock/trigger on it that will handle a bull barrel so I could buy barrels that might interest me anything from a 22-250 right up to a 458 Winchester. Easy to change the bolt face from STD to MAG and easy to change barrels. Learn to do those two things and your one action will hunt the full range of critters.

looking at buying a new rifle what one would you buy?
Others have had good experience with browning rifles, but I would never buy another. I would suggest calling them and asking about that specific model and ask these questions.

1. What kind of accuracy can you expect and what do THEY consider "good enough".
2. If it doesn't shoot up to standards what will they do to fix it.

I think their answers might help you make your decision.

Here is a couple groups (4 shot and 5 shot) with my Browning Hell's Canyon Long Range 6.5 Creedmoor. Absolute tack driver. 41gr H4350. Lapua brass. 140gr ELD-M clocking in at 2750fps. Not as fast as the PRC but accuracy is more important to me.

Attachments

• BE9DFA41-6AC1-4CBD-942F-508541EACBEC.jpeg
    BE9DFA41-6AC1-4CBD-942F-508541EACBEC.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 3E6A9FC5-800C-4883-AC88-4A025C9F4691.jpeg
    3E6A9FC5-800C-4883-AC88-4A025C9F4691.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 349
looking at buying a new rifle what one would you buy?

Not a lot of requirements to go on, however, I can state the Tikka T3X CTR I owned in 6.5 CM was a 1/2" MOA shooter with "all" Hornady factory ammo as well as the Federal Premium (Gold Metal Berger 130 grain bullets) factory ammo. I did trade it in on a Bergara B14 Timber as I still prefer nice wood on my hunting & target rifles . . . but I have not yet had that one to the range to provide my initial experiences. I expect it to do as well as the Tikka, just cannot say for sure at this point. I have never had a Tikka that did not shoot under MOA.

I think the 6.5 PRC is a great choice.

Out of those two actions I'd take the Tikka. They do shoot well. They also have a much bigger support network if you want to barrel it down the road.

That said if it was me I'd look at other rifles in 6.5 PRC.

A friend bought a Hells Canyon, it is a much more complete unit than the Tikka. He killed a Bighorn at 612 yards with it. It was a 6.5 CM, not the PRC.
No offence intended, but I must ask what is that even means?

I usually do not take advice from people that own old guns, their intentions are well but the manufacturing process, the employees, etc everything is different now. The best example is the Winchester rifles ...

In my experience and a few other friends that reload, we will choose a Tikka over a Browning all day long. There are a lot of factors that determine if a gun will shoot, including the owner, but the chances of getting a lemon with Tikka/Sako are slim to none. Rem, Browning, Winchester, Savage (I don't even know why they are in business) manufacture quite a few lemons.
I use a Tikka in 270 Win that shoots 1/2in at 100 yds and 1 MOA at 300. Its the cheap one with tapware stock haha

In my experience, a good rifle will shot almost any bullet.

I have helped 2 guys with hells canyons and they both shot great when they were broke in. Both shot 1.5 to 2 inches at 300 yards. Every Tikka I have had to play with shot lights out except for one. It had rifling missing from the barrel 1/2 inch from the crown. I cut off an inch and recorded it. Shot great after that. I think the Tikka has the smoothest action made. Go with the one you like best. Won't be disappointed in either. Shep

I have a stainless tikka ctr with the 24 barrel and a browning xbolt longe range stalker with a 26 barrel. Both are creeds and are shooters. The tikka i put in an mdt chassis. I would chose the tikka between the 2 guns, smoother action and much better trigger. Caliber choice would be the prc.

I have a Tikka T3 24.5 in. barrel. B&C stock. Very slick action. Shoots great with factory and my reloads. Never owned a Browning and probably never will. I can't compare but I'd highly recommend the Tikka. Tikka should make a 6.5 PRC if they don't. I have a 27 in. MGM 6.5 PRC barrel for my Encore. I'd take it over Creedmoor for hunting. It also is an accurate cartridge with a little more speed to it. I wish I had it in a bolt gun though. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.