Choices- Browning Hell's Canyon Speed vs. Long Range

Ranger260

I'm looking to hear your thoughts about a choice I need to make. I have an opportunity to choose between a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed or Hell's Canyon Long Range (I know...a real 1st World problem...LOL). I'm most interested in 7mm RM, 300WM and 28 Nosler [this one I need to research more], have the capability to handload ammunition and do not consider myself recoil shy. I would like to use this rifle to hunt elk and mule deer, primarily in the Uinta and Wasatch Mountains of Utah, but I may find myself hunting anywhere in the West. This will serve strictly as a hunting rifle since I have other rifles to fill the target/tactical niche. My current hunting rifle is a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300WSM (and find it manageable without a brake), but I'm a "gun guy" and tend to dabble in a variety of rifles.

My 1st thought was to go for the Speed in 7RM, as I find 7RM a pleasure to shoot and tend to lean towards lighter rifles. I have handled the Speed and liked it, but haven't handled the Long Range. But I find myself thinking of slinging large-for-caliber bullets [200-215 grain .30s or 175-180 grain .284s] and the Long Range starts to become more attractive. Is there a performance advantage to selecting the heavier contour barrel and extra weight of the Long Range over the Speed? How about stepping up to 300WM or 28 Nosler? Is the "juice worth the squeeze"? I'm looking for the "sweet spot" between caliber, weight and performance in this rifle that will meet my needs. I have a new Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm scope at my disposal for this setup, but may consider a lighter option in Leupold/Zeiss/Swaro for the right price. What would you choose if you had such a choice and why? Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm looking to hear your thoughts about a choice I need to make. I have an opportunity to choose between a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed or Hell's Canyon Long Range (I know...a real 1st World problem...LOL). I'm most interested in 7mm RM, 300WM and 28 Nosler [this one I need to research more], have the capability to handload ammunition and do not consider myself recoil shy. I would like to use this rifle to hunt elk and mule deer, primarily in the Uinta and Wasatch Mountains of Utah, but I may find myself hunting anywhere in the West. This will serve strictly as a hunting rifle since I have other rifles to fill the target/tactical niche. My current hunting rifle is a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300WSM (and find it manageable without a brake), but I'm a "gun guy" and tend to dabble in a variety of rifles.

My 1st thought was to go for the Speed in 7RM, as I find 7RM a pleasure to shoot and tend to lean towards lighter rifles. I have handled the Speed and liked it, but haven't handled the Long Range. But I find myself thinking of slinging large-for-caliber bullets [200-215 grain .30s or 175-180 grain .284s] and the Long Range starts to become more attractive. Is there a performance advantage to selecting the heavier contour barrel and extra weight of the Long Range over the Speed? How about stepping up to 300WM or 28 Nosler? Is the "juice worth the squeeze"? I'm looking for the "sweet spot" between caliber, weight and performance in this rifle that will meet my needs. I have a new Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm scope at my disposal for this setup, but may consider a lighter option in Leupold/Zeiss/Swaro for the right price. What would you choose if you had such a choice and why? Thanks for your thoughts.
All Browning 7mms come with a 9.5 twist. So stabilizing high bc bullets like the 180eld, 183smk, or 180 berger vld are not promising. You'll more than likely be limited to 162-168 class bullets. However, this is also dependent on your elevation and other atmospheric conditions and also how fast you drive the bullets.

The Ridgeline I posted a link to is a true 1:9... That means you can shoot the Berger 180 Hybrids, and if you're at a really high elevation, the Berger 195 Elite Hunters.

One of my semi-local stores had one in .280 AI and since they know me and that I've bought alot of guns from them, and I always "wheel & deal" with them on prices, they cut it down to brass tax, and offered it to me for $1,600 out the door... But I didn't have the cash at the time, so I had to turn it down. That was a really hard deal to walk away from.

For an MSRP of nearly $2200, IIWY, I'd go with a semi-custom or full custom "IF" your budget allows it); pick your preferred components ($1K for action, $200 trigger, $400 barrel, to best suit your intended purpose and have a competent and reputable smith, but that just me. I have semi-customs for under $1K and full custom for under $3K.

Out of your choices, I would normally recommend the .300 WM but since you already have the .300 WSM, I would recommend stepping up to the .338 cal.

The Burris Veracity is an excellent scope, I have a 4-20 on my .270 AI and very pleased with it.

Good luck!

All Browning 7mms come with a 9.5 twist. So stabilizing high bc bullets like the 180eld, 183smk, or 180 berger vld are not promising. You'll more than likely be limited to 162-168 class bullets. However, this is also dependent on your elevation and other atmospheric conditions and also how fast you drive the bullets.
So is the info on Browning's website incorrect? They are showing in the speed and the long range the 28 Nosler has a 9" twist, and the 7rm has a 9.5" twist?

As for the original question of which rifle to choose, I'm pretty sure the only difference between the speed and the long range is the barrel contour. The long range weighs about 11oz more. If it's purely a hunting rifle I'd choose the speed, if you want to use it as a dual purpose hunting/target rifle, I'd grab the long range.

So is the info on Browning's website incorrect? They are showing in the speed and the long range the 28 Nosler has a 9" twist, and the 7rm has a 9.5" twist?

As for the original question of which rifle to choose, I'm pretty sure the only difference between the speed and the long range is the barrel contour. The long range weighs about 11oz more. If it's purely a hunting rifle I'd choose the speed, if you want to use it as a dual purpose hunting/target rifle, I'd grab the long range.
Sorry my apologies, your correct. The 28 appears to be the only exception

Sorry my apologies, your correct. The 28 appears to be the only exception
Yeah no problem, I was hoping that wasn't a misprint. I ordered a X-bolt long range McMillan based off the 9" twist and being able to stabilize 195's at 5000' elevation.

The twists Browning offers are what concern me...
7RM- 9.5
28 Nosler- 9
300WM- 10 (no problem there)
My Sako 300WSM is only an 11 twist :(
So I am trying to determine what would be an optimal choice given the specs they offer? I mainly hunt between 8000-9000 feet in elevation.

I agree with you sir on the custom or semi-custom options. But the rifles I listed were because I am working out a replacement from Browning and will be choosing from these 2 models. So I am asking what you think would be an optimal choice in this platform given the specs they offer.

You are correct on both accounts regarding the twist rates and barrel contour. Pretty much the same rifle...11 ounces doesn't seem like much, but can affect the way a rifle carries. I am willing to carry some weight if there is an advantage, but I get out of the truck and mostly walk/hike...no horses or OHVs at my disposal at the moment.

Last edited:
The twists Browning offers are what concern me...
7RM- 9.5
28 Nosler- 9
300WM- 10 (no problem there)
My Sako 300WSM is only an 11 twist :(
So I am trying to determine what would be an optimal choice given the specs they offer? I mainly hunt between 8000-9000 feet in elevation.
A 9.5 twist is so stupid. I can barely stabilize 162s in my 7mm mag according to the 4dof. All 7mms need to come with a 8 twist. 30 cal is the only one that's got a decent twist.

A 9.5 twist is so stupid. I can barely stabilize 162s in my 7mm mag according to the 4dof. All 7mms need to come with a 8 twist. 30 cal is the only one that's got a decent twist.
I agree, at least an 8.5 should be a good mine ground for all common bullet weights. Funny thing is, their new target rifle with the A3 stock has a 8" twist in 7RM, but still 9 twist in 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.