Do brakes help a lot under suppressor?

I started switching to brakes. Great reduction in recoil. Then I went TBAC with their CB mount. Everything up to 300WM, so much more enjoyable to shoot. I could care less about anything else, no turning back. TBAC has a great solution for thin barrels. Had them adapt several barrels thus far, no worries. After looking at what CBs were adding up to, we started switching to Direct Thread cans. Perfectly happy with those as well. Get your feet wet and see what directlon you end up going. I could just as easily sell some CBs at this time. I have a broad range of applications, not all PRS. Bottom line, I only want to shoot suppressed now.

FWIW, I have a AB Raptor with 3" reflex mount. There is a noticeable difference in recoil when shooting with it direct threaded compared to using the reflex mount. Less recoil with reflex mount. They now offer a 5" reflex mount and I wonder if that provides further recoil reduction. I suspect it would.

I agree on hunting and not using them. I wouldn't and they didn't supply them in Vietnam either. I don't hear as good today. If anything I would get hearing aids. Need to listen in the forests to know what's going on.

Almost every rifle I shoot has gone from braked to suppressed with the exception of my 7RM (due to barrel contour only), 28 Nosler and .300RUM (for recoil reasons).
A TBAC CB does nothing for recoil reduction with the suppressor installed except for the added 4oz of weight. Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
The only thing the CB mount does that interest me is add a tapered mount to the gun. In high volume shooting it won't come whereas with direct thread there is a tendency.

The only thing the CB mount does that interest me is add a tapered mount to the gun. In high volume shooting it won't come whereas with direct thread there is a tendency.
I agree. But you still need to check the suppressor and make sure it is tight throughout the shooting day.

Every rifle I shoot suppressed has a TBAC CB on it. Also, if for some horrible reason you cross thread one, or ding the threads, it is a $120 replacement rather than having to clean up threads on a barrel, or worse, cutting back and rethreading.

Improperly cut threads on a barrel with a CB brake will still cause misalignment of the suppressor though. A CB won't cure that.

I just like the added peace of mind that a CB can be replaced a lot easier than having to do barrel work should an issue arise.

JME, I have an early YHM Phantom QR. Started using it on my Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM. Helped reduce felt recoil. Then they came out with the QR brake. It is a noticeable recoil reduction over the suppressor only.

Improperly cut threads on a barrel with a CB brake will still cause misalignment of the suppressor though. A CB won't cure that.
That's the key here, there is still a barrel to brake interface for the CB mounts. There might can be something said for using lock-tite to set the brake on the barrel rather than screwing the suppressor on every time, but at the end of the day alignment is based on how the barrel treads and barrel shoulder are cut. I have one brake that's timed with a washer, the other was cut to alignment by the smith who threaded the barrel. No difference between the two in terms of both align correctly.

The BA came around from requests for a muzzle device mount and TBAC made one in-house in response. TBAC did not have true "direct thread" for all their suppressors after the BA came out - at least one model (the 338BA) came with a note that you could rock-set a muzzle break into the can to create a direct thread model. To me that shows they think there's no difference between their direct thread and CB mount (which was their goal in developing the taper lock muzzle brake design - to mimic their DT), other than the CB mount turns into a brake when the can is removed. Both should align and repeat the same. FWIW Zak is on the same boat as Greg in terms of the barke/mount does nothing inside the can.
Customers who desire a "direct thread" version of the 338BA can order one with a brake fixed in place.

I made a typo up above I can't fix now, I put "DB" instead of CB, and really meant BA because I have the older style brakes.

The NTB is my go-to now because timing breaks is annoying. Way better system.

The main thing I hate about brakes inside cans is that the top and bottom of most brakes like the CB, gets no blast... so the top and bottom of the suppressor when it's locked up have a massive uneven buildup of carbon/residue.

The NTB eliminates this. The CB always annoyed me. I LOVE the NTB's. Their hex interface allows the use of a nice big socket and I run them on to 150 ft lbs to ensure they won't come off inside the can.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

when i was shopping for suppressors the guy i was dealing with said that the only difference between QD and direct thread was the noise reduction was lower on direct thread. i dont know if that's true or not.

as for hunting, i use the electronic ear muffs if i'm not hunting with my suppressor attached. it amplifies sounds while you're sitting there and then shuts off when you shoot. as an added bonus, they keep your ears warm.