Do Suppressors affect ballistics

southern

I shoot 3 rifles all with suppressors all zero'd at 200 yards all rifles shoot great
X bolt long range 300 WSM Swarovski Z 5 5-25 scope DPT Suppressor 180 grain winchester Accubond shoots exactly as the Swarovski ballistic calculator predicts.
X bolt 243 Swaro Z5 3.5 -18 scope Sonic suppressor Hornady 75 grain V max per swaro calculator shoots 2 clicks low at 300 and then progressively 2-3 clicks low right through to 600 yards
A bolt 223 Swaro 2.5 -12 scope DPT suppressor Fiocho 50 grain V max per swaro calculator 4 clicks low at 300 and progressively 4-5 clicks low through to 500 yards
All 3 rifles shoot awesome and I have individually set them up so that I can dial in the correct amount but puzzled as to why the drop compared to the calculator increases as the caliber comes down and was wondering could this be the suppressors ? I haven't shot them without suppressors as where I hunt I need them so no point.

Yes.

hold a broomstick put in front of you. Now put a one pound weight on it, it's likely going to sag a bit.

think of it like an angle, if your bullet is one moa low at one point, that difference will get progressively larger in inches but it's still one moa as you continue outward, it's just that an moa is now more space. Account for that deflection and you should be good to go.

Got it thanks for that, a couple more questions would you expect by running a suppressor that it would cause more bullet drop than not running one ?
In reality how close are the ballistic calculators that the scope manufactures put out ?

Maybe I'm not understanding you here, but if you haven't calibrated your solver to real world dope, that's the problem.

A suppressor will change POI relative to unsuppressed. But if you are zero'd using a suppressor, the you true your solver (MV & BC assuming a G1/G7type solver) based on real world data.

You go through the same process whether or not a suppressor is on your gun.

Never used Swarovski calculator, do you have the actual muzzle velocity of tour ammo in your gun?

my supressor has a 3moa deflection directly down. After re reading your post I'm becoming confused. Once you zero your rifle with your supressor the suppressors poi shift should be taken care of. I wonder if the muzzle velocity you are using for your calculator is off. Or another variable.

I tried using the Swaro calculator for factory ammo, worked out spot on for the 300 wsm was a little off on the 243 and more off on the 223. None of this has caused a problem with how I use them as I set up all 3 right through the range based on how they actually shoot and have the scopes set up accordingly. What I was trying to understand is why the calculator worked out spot on for the 300WSM and is off on the others and whether or not the suppressors had any effect on ballistics, maybe I just got lucky with the WSM ?

Are you putting in your actual muzzle velocity into the calculator?

Use G7 in your ballistic app. I have found it to be a bit more accurate at distance. You might have to adjust BC in the app a bit. Also, make sure your velocity is accurate.

Have you run a tracking test on your scopes?

I tried using the Swaro calculator for factory ammo, worked out spot on for the 300 wsm was a little off on the 243 and more off on the 223. None of this has caused a problem with how I use them as I set up all 3 right through the range based on how they actually shoot and have the scopes set up accordingly. What I was trying to understand is why the calculator worked out spot on for the 300WSM and is off on the others and whether or not the suppressors had any effect on ballistics, maybe I just got lucky with the WSM ?
I've never used the Swaro solver, but this thread made me curious. I input info for a couple rifles that have been verified to 1,000 + yards, and the outputs were good (within reason). So, I'm guessing (again) that you have not trued the software to your real world dope. Even if you are using a magnetospeed or labradar, you will likely need to slightly tweak the MV and BC inputs to line up the solver with your real world observed drops. Also make sure that you're environmental data is good.

Typical practice is to use MV to line up the outputs at ~600 - 700 yards. Then use BC for "fine tune" adjustments and/or to adjust outputs at the furthest range possible.

Also, you should try a tall target test for your scopes if you haven't already.

thanks for the great reply's will have another run through the data and tweak the inputs and see how that works, I have a hunting trip this week using the 243 so will try it on the range early next week as have just switched the scopes, Im going to try the 5-25 on it as finding the 18 power a little light on small targets (wallabies) in the 5-600 range.

What I was trying to understand is why the calculator worked out spot on for the 300WSM and is off on the others and whether or not the suppressors had any effect on ballistics, maybe I just got lucky with the WSM ?

You just got lucky. I almost never find them to be correct. Close, but not correct.

I am in agreement with the others. Nothing about running a suppressor should affect ballistics and drop running with one vs. without beyond the poi change and small velocity increase.

I use the Swaro calculator on my 300wsm unsupressed, but with a handload, and input the actual velocity numbers and bc of the bullet and found it spot on at 300 with a 200 yd zero.

That's the farthest I have been able to shoot so far but plan to test it at 400 and 500 so I can set my ballistic turret on my Z3 scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts