Suppressors and Nodes

Noidly1

Does, and if so, how much does a suppressor change a rifle/bullet's nodes?

Lets say I finally find the load my bullet/rifle likes and then build a crap load of them and down the road decide to get a can. Is it possible to find a can that has the same node or am I gonna have to re run batches to find a new node?

Last edited:
Does, and if so, how much does a suppressor change a rifle/bullet's nodes?

Lets say I finally find the load my bullet/rifle likes and then build a crap load of them and down the road decide to get a can. Is it possible to find a can that has the same node or am I gonna have to re run batches to find a new node?
I had to redo load development when I switched to a suppressor. Totally worth it.

It is likely a minor change to the load suppressed but it is likely a change. That said, I haven't seen a dialed load go bad with a suppressor it just won't be perfectly dialed. I have seen more often than not a suppressor allow better shooting than before it was used. The load after is usually better than the load before. Get one.

I recently put suppressors on two of my rifles. A 6.5 PRC and a 300 WM. Both had loads that were dialed in. Both shot about 2" low and slightly right when suppressed. I re zero'd the scopes and am good. The PRC shoots the same good tight groups as before. The WM actually tightened up a bit from unsuppressed. Likely due to milder recoil and it's effect on the shooter.

4A81B6FC-BF48-47B0-901B-D47A4A5DCCD3.jpeg

It is likely a minor change to the load suppressed but it is likely a change. That said, I haven't seen a dialed load go bad with a suppressor it just won't be perfectly dialed. I have seen more often than not a suppressor allow better shooting than before it was used. The load after is usually better than the load before. Get one.
My point of impact after adding a suppressor was 1 inch low and 1 inch right at 100 yards but the load was still repeatable and very consistent.

I have seen more often than not a suppressor allow better shooting than before it was used.
Agreed, there are very few times that hanging weight off the end of the barrel doesn't do positive things. That's the entire concept of a tuner - I ran an ATS behind my Omega 300 for a long time, still run it behind a muzzle break on a new rifle now.

If you really want to get crazy about it use the Precision Armament shims behind a DT suppressor and you can use the whole can to tune like a tuner.