Barrel Profile and Suppressors

The standard rule of thumb amongst most MFG's and gunsmiths is to have .100" or greater shoulder for a suppressor to properly butt up to. Example: 5/8-24 is a common suppressor/mount thread, 5/8'' = .625'', .625''+.100'' = .725'' so the preferred muzzle diameter for 5/8-24 would be .725'' or greater. This isn't always 100% gospel, but a pretty standard approach in the industry.

Heavy rifles are accurate, especially when you get older and shaky! Also, I don't have to carry it very far here at home or where I hunt Normally. this is also not some thing I would use on a trip where I was walking a great deal into the mountains.
Yep, and a lot more pleasant to shoot, esp. those with 100+g H20 capacity magnums.

1700312915878.jpeg

1700312940477.jpeg

In regards to hanging a can on a light contoured barrel, I have not seen an issue with it. I have a couple of sporter barrels that I have threaded and use my suppressors on. They shoot just as good as they did before I chopped and threaded them.

The best way to do this with a sporter barrel, in my opinion, is to send it to someone like Kampfeld, LRI, Shean Rifles, etc. and have them thread and add a collar (see picture). That gives you the proper shoulder to mount up to, without having to go with a heavier profile barrel or thread smaller and add an adapter. The picture is a factory profile Tikka Lite barrel.

IMG-3102.jpg

In regards to hanging a can on a light contoured barrel, I have not seen an issue with it. I have a couple of sporter barrels that I have threaded and use my suppressors on. They shoot just as good as they did before I chopped and threaded them.

The best way to do this with a sporter barrel, in my opinion, is to send it to someone like Kampfeld, LRI, Shean Rifles, etc. and have them thread and add a collar (see picture). That gives you the proper shoulder to mount up to, without having to go with a heavier profile barrel or thread smaller and add an adapter. The picture is a factory profile Tikka Lite barrel.

View attachment 511975
That looks great. What does it cost to send it in and have that done? Did they add the collar, or was it on the Tika from the factory?

That looks great. What does it cost to send it in and have that done? Did they add the collar, or was it on the Tika from the factory?

For that particular one, I sent the barrel to Mountain Meadow Industrial. They chopped the barrel to 20", threaded it at 5/8-24, but a little long, threaded the collar on using red loctite, faced it so that it was perpendicular to the bore, and contoured it so that the back mated with the original barrel contour. A final bead blast of everything and it was sent back (they included the thread protector). The price was $175, plus shipping both ways.

Finally ordered up a suppressor, pretty stoked about it! I got a Silencer Central Banish Backcountry.

I have some questions hopefully you guys with some experience can answer.

I currently have a Tikka 6.5 PRC Roughtech - it has the D3 profile or whatever fluted barrel. End OD is like .73" on a 24.3" barrel. Could I hang a can on here?

It's a small can, but I'm going to get an aftermarket barrel to shorten it up. (hence the post)

Been tossing around getting a Preferred Barrels taperless .750 @ 22" - would that be ok to put a can on it?

Also looking at a CarbonSix featherweight profile @ 22" - same question. Going to a Sendero isn't a big deal, I believe it'll only be like 3oz heavier. I am trying to make this build light as possible (within reason). That's why I am looking into the thinner profile barrels.

Any kind rule of thing on barrel profile vs length to hang a can??

Also open to other barrel manufactures, those are the main two that I am familiar with (also Proof, but they are hundreds more). PB and C6 are having BF deals, so I'd like to take advantage of that.

Edit: can with be 5/8x24 direct thread, so will be the barrel

Thanks in advance!
My suppresser sits back 5" over the barrel on my Tikka in 6.5 PRC standard barrel length. It's a light package and length overall is fine, wouldn't go into very heavy woods with it. That said no suppressor and an18" barrel suits that application better.

I had Thunderbeast do one of their facemounts on my Weatherby UltraLight. Shoots as good now as I could shoot it before and I feel confident my can won't land 80 yards down range. Weatherby used 1/2x28" threads for the break, but TB prints say that's not enough meat with a 30 cal. hole. Another solution. That said, I really like the shoulder solution posted by HandgunHTR.

For that particular one, I sent the barrel to Mountain Meadow Industrial. They chopped the barrel to 20", threaded it at 5/8-24, but a little long, threaded the collar on using red loctite, faced it so that it was perpendicular to the bore, and contoured it so that the back mated with the original barrel contour. A final bead blast of everything and it was sent back (they included the thread protector). The price was $175, plus shipping both ways.
What caliber is the rifle? My Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby magnum is a 24 inch barrel I'm going to suppress it so I was going to do an adapter from half inch to 5/8. But since it always will have a can on it I am wondering if it would hurt
Ballistic wise to cut the barrel down a little bit to get the 5/8 thread.

Finally ordered up a suppressor, pretty stoked about it! I got a Silencer Central Banish Backcountry.

I have some questions hopefully you guys with some experience can answer.

I currently have a Tikka 6.5 PRC Roughtech - it has the D3 profile or whatever fluted barrel. End OD is like .73" on a 24.3" barrel. Could I hang a can on here?

It's a small can, but I'm going to get an aftermarket barrel to shorten it up. (hence the post)

Been tossing around getting a Preferred Barrels taperless .750 @ 22" - would that be ok to put a can on it?

Also looking at a CarbonSix featherweight profile @ 22" - same question. Going to a Sendero isn't a big deal, I believe it'll only be like 3oz heavier. I am trying to make this build light as possible (within reason). That's why I am looking into the thinner profile barrels.

Any kind rule of thing on barrel profile vs length to hang a can??

Also open to other barrel manufactures, those are the main two that I am familiar with (also Proof, but they are hundreds more). PB and C6 are having BF deals, so I'd like to take advantage of that.

Edit: can with be 5/8x24 direct thread, so will be the barrel

Thanks in advance!
I run 2 rigs with PBB's. One is a .750 straight taper at 20" and I have zero issues. Other is .810 straight taper 22" and zero issues. If it were me I'd do the .810 straight taper as it's only going to be about 6-8 ounces heavier.

I have a 28 Nosler with a 26" 3B barrel threaded 9/16-24. I fought with that rifle to get it to group well with my suppressor but gave up. I have no issue with the suppressor on larger diameter or shorter barrels. I use the Area 419 Hellfire system also.