Suppressors Shorten Barrel Life?

Yeah, I still don't believe that...Especially the 50% part. I'm going to need to see alot more evidence than just some hear-say by a big company. I've never once heard of that before in my life, and I know lots of folks who shoot and own suppressors. And most importantly, I've never heard any other barrel or rifle or suppressor manufacturer say that before.

Now, if they say "barrel life" to mean accuracy between cleanings, then yes, suppressors will dirty-up your gun a lot more than unsuppressed shooting. But you just clean it, and keep shooting. If this is what they mean, because it's the only way it makes sense, then they need to reword that statement.

No kidding! Well of all people they would know! Lol
No joke... Who would think that a barrel manufacturer would want you to subconsciously think your barrel's accuracy is slipping, and make you believe you need to buy twice as many barrels... :rolleyes: They're just mind-screwing you into self-justifyingly spending twice the amount of money you had originally planned, by making you paranoid about your barrel life. ;)

Dunno about any Bartlein motives. I wasn't looking for this information. Just barrel shopping. Sure raised my eyebrows. They'd be a less compromised source of information than a suppressor manufacturer or marketer. Not sure who would be a more knowledgeable source of information, yet relatively unbiased in opinion and with their information.

I could see it shortening barrel life on a semi auto AR style weapon in repetitive fire. That's probably where Bartlein has seen an issue with barrel owners. I think it would be a very minor issue for a long range hunter using a bolt action rifle. Just clean the bolt action rifle barrel a little more frequently. But I'm no expert on the subject, and I admit that freely.

I have put well over 100 rounds through my 6.5 Creedmoor with a can since cleaning and its still holding half Moa.....

I would bet that shooting a Creedmoor with a suppressor would double barrel life, and probably increase muzzle velocity up to 3600 FPS with 140's!

In all seriousness I was just wanting to poke a little fun at MudRunner ;) :) I've been watching this thread just tryin to learn a little something and this one was too easy, not saying anything about the validity of ovastaffords statement.

Wow. I think a suppressor shortening barrel life only affects morons that don't take care of their weapon. Once you have a rifle for a while you learn that gun. I will take a 260 I have for an example. If I know through my experience with that rifle that at about 210 rnds my groups will start opening up and that is when I need to do full cleaning then I will have to relearn that rifle again once I start shooting it suppressed. As mentioned earlier suppressors do without a doubt dirty up your barrel quicker but once you learn that number where the accuracy becomes unacceptable for your liking and do full cleaning just like running no suppressor. I think what tends to happen is the tactards once getting a suppressor installed want to turn into Bob Lee Swagger and pay no nevermind to the fundamentals of showing proper loving to your rifle. Running barrels hot, with long strings just because its quieter to show off at the local range to impress their multicam bedazzled buddies. Then when their rifle barrels bore looks like that of a Remington 870 they blame the suppressor! lol

Last edited:
Well if this is true I've never seen it proven. I shoot competitively and I only shoot suppresses and have never had a barrel loose velocity prematurely comparing to what others are stating they get.

I've been shooting with suppressors for nearly 15 years. Given the heat haze off the suppressor is a limiting factor for seeing the target, my take is that suppressors improve barrel life.

Regards

JCS

I have been really curious about this myself. My gunsmith buddy says he has seen a few barrels die early that were ran suppressed. He had a 6 creed that went south at something like 600 rounds and it looked horrible with a borescope. But he also said he doesn't know if it was just a bad barrel or if it was actually the suppressor.

We scoped the barrel on one of my 22-250's that I had ran suppressed for its entire life (300 rounds when we checked it) it it was showing more throat erosion then normal BUT I had also ran it pretty hot on a few prairie dog towns on several occasions.

I haven't been able to find any real info on this. I think a guy would have to take 2 identical barrels and run one with a suppressor and the other without and document every round, shot string, cleaning etc then scope them at 500, 1000, 1500 etc rounds to come up with any hard evidence.
If a barrel manufacture wants to send me a few 22-250 barrels I'll be more then happy to be that guy!

I hope that's not true as about all I shoot anymore is suppressed. It makes hearing that hardened steel ringing easy and clear. Running a suppressor also seemed to helped accuracy a little bit which I just chalked up to improving barrel harmonics. Ive got 1400 rounds or so through an ar10 suppressed and as long as you keep it clean I can't see a noticeable difference on longevity yet

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.