Do brakes help a lot under suppressor?

I emailed TBAC the other day for that question, this is what they told me.

"The CB mounts offer a couple distinct advantages when compared to direct threading your suppressor. The brake mounts incorporate a tapered shoulder which provides a much more secure suppressor mounting interface. Using the brake mounts also increases the versatility of your suppressor to use it on multiple rifle hosts that have different thread pitch barrels."

I have always heard a QD brake is better than a flash hider for a suppressor, so I wanted to see what they thought about that too.

"The CB Brake can act as a sacrificial baffle due to its design, but we have not seen undue or premature erosion from the use of the CB Flash Hider when the suppressor is used within its design parameters."

I plan on getting a CB brake for my rifles I will be shooting suppressed only, and the flash hider for my rifles that I shoot suppressed and unsuppressed.

I was under the impression that TBAC Ultra suppressors were all CB and they just rockset the break in for the direct thread models.

All my cans (SilencerCo Hybrid and Dead Air Nomads) use the standard HUB/Bravo mount threads so I can run whatever type of mount I choose and regularly switch between DT of different sizes, KeyMo and will soon be trying the Xeno mount which is supposed to be better than direct thread due to tapers and the left handed threads.

Now if only I could find a .46 bore 3/4"x24 KeyMo adaptor for my smokeless muzzleloader so I don't have to spend so much extra time taking the can off and on during reloads . . .

I was under the impression that TBAC Ultra suppressors were all CB and they just rockset the break in for the direct thread models.
That was true on the 338BA. For the Ultras I believe they use a similar but not identical insert. Betcha if you call they would tell you all the details over the phone, excellent customer service and very nice people. I felt like I was bugging the heck out of them when I was making my decision but they were always willing to hear me out and gently redirect me.

The CB mount and direct thread mount have equivalent accuracy and repeatability.

With the CB mount, the suppressor mates to a conical shoulder on the brake and locks up rock solid and extremely tight. In direct thread configuration, the ULTRA suppressors use a heat-treated 17-4 thread insert and initial blast shield. The ULTRA series suppressors also have the flexibility to be changed from direct thread to CB mount and vice versa via a simple factory service operation, in case your needs change. This is accomplished by removing or replacing the default brake from the direct thread version.

Betcha if you call they would tell you all the details over the phone, excellent customer service and very nice people. I felt like I was bugging the heck out of them when I was making my decision but they were always willing to hear me out and gently redirect me.
This, excellent customer service.

That was true on the 338BA. For the Ultras I believe they use a similar but not identical insert. Betcha if you call they would tell you all the details over the phone, excellent customer service and very nice people. I felt like I was bugging the heck out of them when I was making my decision but they were always willing to hear me out and gently redirect me.

That makes sense, I had originally looked at them but wanted the ability to swap to different mounts so I went with Dead Air instead.

If they made a .338 Ultra that used the HUB threads I would have bought one in a heart beat but it currently looks like they only offer the Magnus with the HUB which is too close to my Nomad-L in performance to warrant dropping another $1500 on it.

My first can is was an aac sd 30 cal, and the only can I experimented with brakes vs 3 prong (flash hider). On a light 308 bolt gun I could absolutely feel the recoil reduction when using the aac brake device vs the aac 3 prong device. I haven't experimented with that using any of my other cans.

Last edited: