Do all rifle???

270 win. Will handle everything from prairie dogs to bull moose. Easy to load and very forgiving. Components readily available? Well that pretty much eliminates every caliber. No matter what manufacturers you go with it will always feed nicely. I have shot bull elk with this cartridge out to 600 and one shot one kill.

This is my pick as well. With a good 130gr. Bullet it will take antelope and deer way out there. With a 150 partition it will handle everything else on this continent. Easy shooting, medium recoil and you can find ammo most everywhere. It's also easy to workup an accurate handload.

Also want to point out that there are a bunch of lighter 270 bullets now due to the 6.8 SPC chambering. These work great on varmints.

Last edited:
Are we talking:
Do all Rifle, or
Do all caliber, or
Do all cartridges.
View attachment 238515

Valid point.....most, including myself, read this as a cartridge question/poll! If he meant rifle, there's a lot of impertinent information offered!

So I'll do some CMA...... Win. Model 70, SS, synthetic stock (preferably New Haven production) in my aforementioned cartridge selection! 😉. memtb

Just finished these with my Grandson.
His choice is chewbacca's bowcaster put him together now!!

Attachments

• 4474EEBE-07A0-4C4F-BEE2-39F657C06215.jpeg
    4474EEBE-07A0-4C4F-BEE2-39F657C06215.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 80
Well up to Elk?
I think if one is hunting say Montana where Grissly.s know a gunshot means a gut pile,I would go for a .33.
A added benefit, if your 8 point Elk is departing and you need to take a South end shot, our 33 will give you a exit wound between the front legs and no tracking needed.
😊
PS practice

6.5x55 with Norma Oryx 156gr (or read below)
I am in S Africa, and I use Fed Fusion 140gr on kudu bulls, warthog, fallow deer - 95%retention.
My 2nd recommendation for your needs would be 30-06 with 168gr Barnes Tsx/Ttsx - I bought my first one in 1971
One rifle for Africa would be 375H&H with solids...

300 Win Mag versatile and more Bullet Choices to work up loads! Better selection of factory loaded ammo as well...

So, while I was sitting in church I went through all these pages and tallied up the votes for you all. Not perfect cuz some of you all on this site can't follow simple instructions and keep it to ONE rifle...huge surprise.😂😂
1- 300 WM - 41
2- 7mmRM - 40
3- 30-06 - 39
4- 270 - 28
5- 280AI -21
6- 308 & 300WSM - 16
8- 338WM - 12
9- 7mm08 - 8
10- 7 SAUM - 7

Now that that's settled...😂🤣😂
What about the 300 Saum?

I'm torn between 4 different calibers. My go to hunting rifle is a 6.5x284 but I was raised on the 308 or 7.62x51. My two other calibers are the 260 Remington and 6MM Norma Dasher. For a SHTF gun. It would be the 308.
6 dasher is a bit light for elk😉

I would think along the lines of "what is the smallest cartridge I need to effectively and consistently kill an Elk at the ranges I hunt". For me I'm thinking 270wsm maybe with a fast twist, although that's probably not "long Range" for some on elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.