Do all rifle???

I have narrowed mine down to six calibers for pronghorn and up. Two calibers for varmints, but I have been eyeballing a 22-250. Now if I had to, I could narrow it down to two calibers to shoot an antelope eating popcorn, but he brings so much to these threads that I just want to sit down and share it with him.

First I give my serious answer, then I agree about how many times have we had this same argument and now I'm closing with this.
Grow some balls and have more than one rifle. Man was not made to have only one rifle. Instead of one for all things, try 2 for each individual animal that you may shoot one day.
Not every one is overloaded with cash. Some of have a mortgage, car notes and many like to eat.

Just a side thought to all the awesome calibers thrown out, some of these larger calibers/ cases sure take a lot of powder! I spent last night loading for my magnum and was thinking about the amount of powder I was going through, how little I have left, and how hard it is right now to get more! My 30-06 = around 55gr, my 7mm Rem mag = around 66gr, 300 Weatherby mag = 75-80gr. In this time of shortage I'm running out of powder! Bullets are also a problem as I'm not seeing hunting bullets on the shelves, just off weight and match bullets! And don't get me going about primers and the only ones I see being the scalpers on Gunbroker!
Could try the 26 Nosler with A small 95gr pill. Over 95gr. US869 Ouch 😣

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
7mm rem mag. 300 win mag, 300WSM, 308win. Tried and true. I just bought (traded) a Surgeon short sniper in 300 win mag. I'm a long range guy. Like my 300UM. Have a few. 338UM. 300 WSM. 300PRC, 338LP. 375CT, 50BMG. Lots of 6.5 things but my first real rifle was a 300WM. So I have thousands of cases. Yes, Long action but inherently accurate. Serious energy to 1000 plus. 30 cal. brass everywhere. Lots of load data.

same can be said for 7mmRM. Bullets may be less available.

300WSM is very hard to beat for all around everything. I love mine. If I was going to hunt hogs to moose, it would be my first choice all around

if your ranges are limited to 700-800 yrds a 308 Win is the best thing out there IMO. AMMO everywhere. 30 cal. Probably more available ammo and components than anything else.

there are better AI and other custom caliber options but it's kinda like the 375HH. Anywhere you go in Africa, they sell 375HH. 375UM not so much. Anywhere you go in US they sell 300WIn mag, 7mmRM and 308Win. Stay with an OEM, SAAMI round with a min 20-50 years of history and current factory/industry support.

this all assumes a one gun stable

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
I like my 300 Weatherby.

I give up, why not a 300 ultra mag? I would consider a 300 RUM. I have to say, I have been happy with all of my Weatherby rifles so far, and now I am fixated on getting a 338-378 Weatherby. I have no justification for it, I just think I want one. I am newish to this site and building a rifle sounds fun. I may try that someday. I think I am going to stick with the .338 caliber for a while. Nothing against the .30 caliber, but that will have to come next. I'm certain no one on this forum understands people like me--but I have always been about as bright as a shadow.
I am still liking the old stuff a 33 Newton ( ie ) 338-375 ruger , it's a twin to a 340 Weby. I want to hunt pig and moose maybe a brown bear :cool:

So, while I was sitting in church I went through all these pages and tallied up the votes for you all. Not perfect cuz some of you all on this site can't follow simple instructions and keep it to ONE rifle...huge surprise.😂😂
1- 300 WM - 41
2- 7mmRM - 40
3- 30-06 - 39
4- 270 - 28
5- 280AI -21
6- 308 & 300WSM - 16
8- 338WM - 12
9- 7mm08 - 8
10- 7 SAUM - 7

Now that that's settled...😂🤣😂

Are we talking:
Do all Rifle, or
Do all caliber, or
Do all cartridges.
1823A313-31AE-43BB-B4B8-18C87E5B42B6.jpeg
thought I was safe with the trifecta.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.