Distance to lands, how close is too close?

Do you hunt in snowy conditions? In MN this year on a snowy day I got back to my truck and unloading pulled the bullet and dumped the powder! This bullet was .010 off and I believe ice was the culprit. Either snow down a warm gun or wet ammo in a cold gun. I still have some of the ammo and can double check it when I get the rifle back in my shop. Right now it is in my camper in another state. My guess is that it was kissing jam to start with.
I've had bullets pull at my range but never out hunting before.
Just curious, what bullets are those

Go on youtube and watch Erik Cortina's videos for load development and finding jam(gonna take you a few hrs). I work off jam instead of the lands but that's a different subject all together.

+1 for the broad node.
F-Class John's videos as well. And ultimate reloader (Gavin hunts and takes this into consideration)
+2 for forward end of broad node

I try for 5 Tho off the lands , however some of the guys who win at the matches like 1 Tho to 2 tho Jam!!!!!
The rifle will let you know ,I have one that likes a .020 jump I have another that like a .010 jam the one that likes to be jam uses a burger VLD bullet and they are famous for liking a jam rather than jump. Curiously enough for the jam rifle it has only pulled a bullet once luckily it was at the range I have since went from a .002 to a .003 Neck tension and have not had a problem since it has been several years

I am loading up some 180 Berger vlds for my 28 nosler and trying to follow Berger's process for finding the best seating depth. So far the best group has been at 0.005 off the lands, which is the longest oal I have loaded. In your opinions, is this too close to the lands for a hunting load? I certainly don't want to get a bullet stuck some day and ruin a hunt. Thanks for the insight
Make sure your load fits in the magazine as well. Don't want bullets binding in the magazine while hunting.

Jam = past the lands
Dist. to lands = the point where your sharpie colored bullet shows no sign of lands touching. Cortina goes .020 off jam. That puts most bullets just off the lands. Those lands gonna move with firings, but don't chase them. :cool:
Cortina considers jam where you are going to stick a bullet,
If you use his method to find jam you will definitely be in the rifling (chamber a long round and let the rifling push it back in the case). He recommends backing .020" off this measurement.
You can measure where your bullet contacts the lands with a Hornady gauge.

What do you consider "off hand?" I'm just gonna have to call you a liar liar pants on fire! 800yds off hand, GTFO!
Or super lucky. If you are shooting off hand, no need for sub MOA rifle. No one can shoot a sub MOA 5 shot group at any distance off hand. Unless of course you are wearing those Olympic jackets with rifle stabilization which I don't consider off hand.

Was staying in motel....pack in and out every morning and evening...the rifle isn't the only thing soaked when I'm finished for the day.....
Plenty of time for elements to get thru the action.....tape on barrel...doesnt stay put....
But good advice to spread...
Try tiny balloons from the kids' department.

Was staying in motel....pack in and out every morning and evening...the rifle isn't the only thing soaked when I'm finished for the day.....
Plenty of time for elements to get thru the action.....tape on barrel...doesnt stay put....
But good advice to spread...
Try tiny balloons from the kids' department. I keep 3-4 in my pack and slip one on anytime it gets wet.

What do you consider "off hand?" I'm just gonna have to call you a liar liar pants on fire! 800yds off hand, GTFO!
He might be fibbing but have you watched Mark and Sam after work? he shoots some stupid crazy stuff off hand at stupid crazy distance. 45-70 at a mile, oh with iron sights, rear is a janky twisted wire set up lol

Last edited:
I would test it with a hot barrel to see if it gets stuck. I had a load for berger 185 classic hunter in my 30-06ai, I don't remember how far off it was but it was pretty close. I never had a problem with one getting stuck until I took 2 quick shots in succession and then chambered a 3rd that wasn't needed. When I went to take that 3rd round out of the chamber, bullet stuck. I thought I was good with that load but had never fired 2 rounds that fast and I assume the barrel being hot is what grabbed that 3rd bullet.

I start load development with VLD's touching the lands. Most of my most accurate loads with VLD's have been at or very near the lands. To get started I gently slide a bullet down the bore guide and let it come to rest in the throat. Have never pulled a bullet from the case.

Off hand=standing with no rest.
Most decent shooters can make this shot……

……the number of shots it takes to connect is the unknown 😉

Jam-The point where the bullet is set back into the case with that particular amount of neck tension......Jam numbers can vary depending on NT.

ITL- In the lands....somewhere past touch but less than jam.

Touch- The point where the start of the bearing surface makes contact.

Off the lands- Any point less than touch.