Dissapointment In The First Degree

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that this person could not close the distance by at least half, on the dumbest animal in the world? Give me a break!!!

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Hey no sweat man. I do not expect them to listen or go away. Just do not call it hunting. Call it shooting.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
The problem is that he shot a bison at 1066 yards. Would it not be actual hunting to try to cut the distance by half. Bison are about as smart as cows. He could have done that easy. So it is not hunting, just shooting!

You do not see anything wrong with this?

All I see in all fairness is that some of these fellas will go out of their way to find big game at longer range just to satisfy their ego. Again show me a hunter worth his salt that can not cut that range with that buff.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
jwp475 wrote:
Why do hang around the Long Range hunting site since you do not agree with it?

My friend, I am sure you noticed that Longrangehunting is not only about long range hunting. There are many knowledgeable people there!
Great knowledge on handloading, equipment, longrange SHOOTING--something I do love and do, --- gunsmithing etc.

Just because they shoot at big game at half mile distances with Sierra Trashkings, -----something that makes my insides turn sour

[/ QUOTE ]
Your useing us for info and trashing us on another site. You want info than read, dont post here and than bash us someware else.

I'm going to try and be respectful, b/c as I said I have done business w/POP and he is an honest guy.

I think the point is that you could have just not said anything.

To me and many others, w/our equipment a 400 or 500 yd shot an a big game animal is a chip shot. I'll make the shot 99 times out of 100. That is why we stretch things to longer ranges. Your challenge is getting close to the game, our challenge is shooting the game over great distances. Is this disrespectful?? Not to me. I, or anyone else here, don't post and make fun of you, or anyone else for that matter, for your 4-500 yd limit. We understand that everyone has a limit and don't chastise them for that limit.

Not trying to be an *** or go off on a ego trip. Just stating things the way I see them. No one threw stones @ your glass house. So why did you throw stones @ their's???

Well, I started the whole post to try and show some people what it takes. Most guys on other non long range forums are not very nice to guys who choose to make long range shots on game. They dont care about paper, but mention deer or elk and things get hectic quite quick. Its easy to point the finger at us to, but I see it differently. I want everyone to know where I stand. I'm not going to keep quiet about what I do, I post on nosler to share my experiences, learn from others, and hopefully help others with my knowledge. I get bashed quite often for choosing to take a shot at a game animal at 500 yards, but I dont care. There not here to know what it takes or how to begin about doing it. There to ignorant to take the time and learn is how I feel. Long range hunters make up a very small % of the regular joe blow hunter.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that this person could not close the distance by at least half, on the dumbest animal in the world? Give me a break!!!

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Hey no sweat man. I do not expect them to listen or go away. Just do not call it hunting. Call it shooting.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
The problem is that he shot a bison at 1066 yards. Would it not be actual hunting to try to cut the distance by half. Bison are about as smart as cows. He could have done that easy. So it is not hunting, just shooting!

You do not see anything wrong with this?

All I see in all fairness is that some of these fellas will go out of their way to find big game at longer range just to satisfy their ego. Again show me a hunter worth his salt that can not cut that range with that buff.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
jwp475 wrote:
Why do hang around the Long Range hunting site since you do not agree with it?

My friend, I am sure you noticed that Longrangehunting is not only about long range hunting. There are many knowledgeable people there!
Great knowledge on handloading, equipment, longrange SHOOTING--something I do love and do, --- gunsmithing etc.

Just because they shoot at big game at half mile distances with Sierra Trashkings, -----something that makes my insides turn sour

[/ QUOTE ]
Your useing us for info and trashing us on another site. You want info than read, dont post here and than bash us someware else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harv:

The actual hunting part of it is a relatively "small" part of what people do here. Can't you see that?

You buy the stuff, you set it up, find the loads, shoot at the range, and practice. That is like 95% if not more than the whole affair. I am not non-concuring with all of the above. I just personally have a problem with the other 5%. That is all.

Can we ALL agree with everybody on everything that deals with hunting/shooting? No way... Especially with a diverse group of people like hunters/shooters who come from all over the world.

So as you can see I am not "using you and trashing you" as you say.
I am just disagreeing with some ( a very small part but important albeit) part of it.

POP,

I really do not have a dog in this fight either way, do what you want and I will do what I want, results speak much louder then words do in nearly any situation.

That said, you say long range hunting is not hunting but instead mearly shooting.

My friend, tell me the difference between that and sitting in a riverbottom treestand or ground blind next to a hot trail to and from feeding areas. I tell you what, its hard as hell to hit a whitetail at 40 yards with a modern bolt action rifle!!!!

Don;t get me wrong, I hunt this way alot but to be blunt, this is no more hunting then long range hunting. If you miss a buck from a tree stand as he walks calmy into view, something is wrong, either with your equipment or your shooting skill. When I say "your" I do not mean you in particular but the hunter.

I guess my comment is how can you say sitting in a stand is any more or less hunting then long range hunting is. I would say 80% of all the whitetails taken in the US are taken off a stand. I would say that 90% of B&C bucks are taken off fixed stands or ground blinds in the US.

Is this hunting or shooting?

I can tell you what, its far more of a challange to shoot a buck at 600 yards then it is 100, or 75 or 50 or 25 yards.

Hell with a good archery shot, shooting a deer at 40 yards is a piece of cake. 30 yards is even easier and 20 yards really gets easy as far as making the shot is concerned.

Is this hunting or shooting?

In my opinion, the definition of hunting is going into the field and outwitting your game to the point where you are able to make a shot to the vitals of that animal killing it cleanly as quick as possible.

Now you may say its far more of a challange to get close. In the right conditions its no harder to get within 50 yards of an animal then it is to get within 500 yards of an animal.

The "hunting" is no different if your hunting from a stand or ground blind. Again if you feel these are forms of hunting you are counterdicting yourself with your own words.

Another advantage to LRH is that you do not disturb the animals. If you go beating all over heck in the area where a big buck is you will possibly get one chance to harvest that buck and more then likely it will not be a good chance or a quality shot.

Hunting at long range allows you to observe the animals, learn the animals in the area, study them over many different days with no fear of pushing them out of the area and when the time is right making a surgical shot to cleanly harvest your animal, again with minimal disturbance to the surrounding area and game.

Now as to GGs buffalo hunt, this was a semi controled situation which could not have been better for this type of a shot. I am sure GG would tell you this is not really a hunt, don;t think I ever heard him say anything to the sort.

He made the shot at +1000 yards because he can and for him and many others I know on this sight, hitting a Buffalo in the vitals at 1K yards is not a difficult thing to do by any means.

If he had walked up to the animal at 15 yards and busted him between the eyes would you have called that hunting? I think not, whats the difference, a dead animal with one shot is a dead animal with one shot.

I do not mean to offend here but it looks pretty bad to go to another site and make these comments when you have pretty much been accepted here at LRH. You can certainly say what you want but I for one would rather read on LRH then I would hear about it on another site. Just looks bad in my opinion for you.

Again, the way we hunt should not be defined by others as far as if it is hunting or shooting. If it is legal in the hunting area, if it is safe and if the game is harvested cleanly and quickly, who is to say what hunting is and is not.

I hunt nearly 75% of the time with handguns, traditional revolvers as well as single shot specialty pistols. The rest is rifle hunting at any range a shot presents itself. I do not look for +600 yard shots but I know if one presents itself in the proper shooting conditions that I can make that shot.

Matters not if you think it is hunting or not, that will certainly not effect how my bullet flies nor the hundreds and even thousands of hours spent practicing for just that possibility that a long shot may present itself. More then likely it will not but we have invested the time and money into being capable of making the shot. Do not insult us by saying it is only shooting when we love hunting as much as you I am sure to that.

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

A buddy of mine picked up a "Boar Hunting" video at the Harrisburg show in Pa. I watched it recently.

The "hunters" released several vicious pit bulls that attack the boar and eventually latch onto its head, ears & neck. While the boar is completely immobilized by the relentless dog attack, a "hunter" walks up behind the boar and stabs it in the chest with a Bowie knife. He then backs off and watches the boar succumb to the wound.

Is this hunting?

All things being considered, I find it hard to understand how anyone can critize ETHICAL longerange hunting.

POP,

The percentage here that are for taking longrange shots at game AND calling it hunting ( actually , we call it " Long Range Hunting " ) is my best guess 99.9% .

Thing is you were caught backstabbing this site / members and since this is the internet and you don't have to face anyone face to face it doesn't bother you to continue in the same vein .

You can apologize now and I will forgive you , probably the rest here as well .

G'nite Pop, may you see the error of your ways .

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.