"difficult" calibers

BDS05

Consider this my intro to the forum. Long time outdoorsman, Grandpa's rifle shooter with core-lokts, gun loving Tennesseean. I grew up under the impression shooting a paper plate was OK for accuracy at 100. Things have changed and quite frankly, I'm never content accuracy wise. I've shot some GREAT groups at 400 and less with factory ammo and rifles.

I've shot some competition pistol. This led to a press and the whole 9. Life happened, time was lost and said press was sold. Only thing I learned was resale SUCKS..

I've got a rifle that doesnt fulfill my itch but I feel like something good can come from it, the action?

I'm looking to build off a Tikka magnum action.
I "feel" a press is needed for the new round. I'm willing to try loading again and this time I feel confident I'll perform.

Question is : What makes a caliber "hard to load"?This will be my first. I'm a hunter and target shooter who has gained respect for lightweight rifles in that order.

I love the 30-06. I looked at building a 6.5prc but have opened to others minus CM. I'll entertain a 7 minus Rem, 260, 280 and 300 peak interest as well in all of their variances.

A) What makes it difficult to load? / B) Examples of difficult vs easy within these parameters?

Two threads in one : I'm looking for elk killing kinetic energy at 500ish (more is better), inherently accurate, reasonable cost to shoot, easy to load, fair bench gun (easy to kill any given weekend without killing my shoulder) at a lower weight. I'm not against using my long action for a short. Unicorn, right?

Unless you're looking at something exotic there isn't a lot of difference.
A better quality rifle is the foundation.
I find moderate cartridges generally a bit forgiving
Quality components such as brass, if Lapua is available I consider that a plus, but not a deal breaker.
Some bullets are easier to load, and go. I'm finding the Hammer line pleasantly has minimal quirks. Consciousness of magazine length and twist when ordering. If your unsure good tech support from them is as readily available as it gets.

What is "exotic"? What are "moderate" cartridges in your opinion? The PRC has fairly limited brass right now. I feel I can figure out the bullet for this one application. Target primarily, deer second and elk capable third. Nothing crazy.. explain on mag length and twist? Pardon my ignorance....

The Tikka is a problem if building a 300WM, the mag box length is restrictive to what bullets you can use.
Other magnums like the 7, 338 or 264 aren't hindered as much by the short mag length.

I'm not a fan of the 7's, built a 7STW many moons ago, didn't do it for me, so I sold the barrel and put a 300 Weatherby barrel on it.

I find cartridge choice a personal thing and have never been swayed by others opinion.
The only finicky cartridge I have experienced is the 17 Remington, it only liked one powder/bullet combo and was difficult to tune and keep accuracy consistent.

Hope you decide easier than I have in the past.

Cheers.

Sounds like you should seriously consider the 6.5 PRC. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of target and also want it to be a good elk round for 500 yards.
That is at the top.

From what I've read, this is an easy round to manipulate and perfect.

Part of the point of this thread is what makes one "easy to load" and I'm looking for examples with my given parameters...

Why is "X" difficult to load and "Y" is easy to perfect etc. ?

I dont think the tikka with a 300wm would be prohibative for 500y like the op wants--- honestly lots of cartridges will work for 500 yards , I use my 16" 308 out to 600.
I should have clarified. 500 - 600 is maximum yardage I'd like to kill elk size game. Though I have many, budget wont allow for best rifle for this, that, here and there. I'm attempting to compromise. Ultimate goal is have the perfect hunting rifle that's most efficient at 1000 yard targets (my end goal) keeping it at comfortable weight out west.
I have a Tikka magnum action; what would you rebarrel to?

Last edited:
What cartridge is your tikka rifle chambered in BD.

I've loaded alot of cartridges over the years and the only inherent difference I've found is light recoil to heavy recoil.

Stock design,,, weight of it,,, and all the quality components that attach to it make things happen """so long""" as everything is set-up correctly.

Don't go to the shooting range if you see a old guy with a extra long beak ball cap and shooting a 303 British free hand ,,, its not the time or place to get schooled on how to punch holes at 900 meters with a rifle that some shooters would think is long past its days. LOL.

Wize to not under estimate the old worn out rifles you know. Ha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts