Difficult 30-378 Weatherby Magnum

I wouldn't even think about re using that brass. Bergers max load is 99.5 COAL of 3.648. There should be a good accuracy node between 98 and 100 I would be starting at 98 with H1000. On COAL do not be surprised if there is another accuracy node at 0.60 or further off. The bearing surface of the 210VLDH is approx. .530 I would use more of it. The pressure on H1000 is notoriously low at 98 gr your at 50,000 and really low for that cartridge.

Have you tried additional measurements? The 230 OTM and 215 hybrid are more forgiving on seating depth easier to work up loads for.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

You should be using Federal 215 primers. This primer was designed for Weatherby Cartridges.

You shouldn't be anywhere near the lands with that cartridge. The big Weatherbys are designed with a lot of freebore in order to reduce pressure, so load to magazine length and call it good.

Part of the problem could also be your primers, as others have stated make sure you're using the Federal 215s.

Would you guys shoot that dented case in the gun with a proper load to pop the dents back out or ditch the case?

On a cheap case like a 7rem or 30-06 I'd just toss it, but I've had good luck popping dents out of 300win brass that I've had similar issues with... I have had dents like that in my 300win playing around with mild charges of powder and 125 grain pills... A dent can be popped out; any that are close to collapse MUST BE THROWN. They won't seal well on the next pass.

All of the Weatherby factory chambering I have ever dealt with have a lot of free bore. To much free bore to load the bullet near the lands. Nosler loading data list starting load as 94.0 gr. of H1000 reloading data for 210 bullet. And Max load 98.0 gr. of H1000 with 225 Gr. bullets. Cartridge Overall Length 3.648"

I have only seen 264 Win. Mag. cases with the weird sucked in dents in the case.
These sucked in dents was caused back in the 1960's by a friend loading light loads of old Hodgdons 4831 Military surplus powder with 100 gr. bullets. There was black soot back to the shoulder just like your picture shows.

Take a look at the chamber drawing for SAAMI 30 338 Weatherby specs. They show a distance of .569 from the front edge of the of the case neck to the actual rifling. This explains the bullet having so little depth in the case neck.

I suggest you go back to Berger's loading data, using the primer and OAL they suggest. Good Luck and Be Safe.

IIWM

seat to at least %75 of diameter.

Try the very heavy weight bullets.

230 Hybrid

figure out the max COAL you can fit in the magazine
check that it is not jamming. Not likely but checking is good.

Tell me what COAL and bullet and powder and I can do a sanity check against published data and QuickLoad.

Or just sell the rifle to me LOL

Your load (the way you have it set up) produces too low of pressure. The neck of the case is not sealing upon ignition and the gas is allowed around the neck of the case backwards and produces the inward collapse dents on the shoulder.

People have posted on forums with 7 Rum cases looking like that. They were running it too easy.

You should be using Federal 215 primers. This primer was designed for Weatherby Cartridges.

Do you have any information elaborating on this? Every thing I have read says wlrm primers are hotter than 215's

He's probably got a better source but I stumbled on to this ...

Primers

When Roy Weatherby began working with the .378 Weatherby Magnum, the parent cartridge of the .460 Weatherby Magnum, he found that the primers of the day to be unreliable. Roy Weatherby contacted Charles L. Horn, the founder of Federal Cartridge Company and explained his problem. Mr. Horn's reply was "We'll make you a primer that, by God, will set your powder ablaze".[5] The Federal 215 primer was developed for the .378 Weatherby Magnum cartridge and is the only primer which is generally recommended for use with the .460 Weatherby Magnum cartridge. This primer was created specifically to provide reliable ignition for compressed powder charges in large capacity cases.[51] All reloading manuals provide loading data using only this particular primer to develop reloading data for the .460 Weatherby Magnum.
In a pinch the Winchester WLRM primer or primers with similar brisance may be substituted. The Federal 216 primer is not available for sale to the reloader at present but should the primer become available it may be substituted for the Federal 215 primer. This primer was developed for the .470 Nitro Express and is currently used by Federal to load the cartridge.[51]
It's probably not the case anymore today though.

Do you have any information elaborating on this? Every thing I have read says wlrm primers are hotter than 215's

When Roy Weatherby made the .378 he was getting hangfires. He mentioned it to the owner of Federal at the time. Federal's guy told him something like, "I'll make a primer that will set fire in that case."

Thanks for the information FEENIX, learn something new every day. One question is what I read correct in that winchester magnum primers are "hotter" than the federal 215?

Lyman, Hornady, Nosler, and Alliant all recommend the Federal 215 primer in much of the Weatherby loading data. Hornady states the the Federal 215 primer was developed for the Weatherby 300 magnum. I have had good luck with 300, 340, and 378 Weatherby rifles using the Federal 215 primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.