30-378 Weatherby

Wrenches

I'm starting to load for my MKV 30-378 and was looking for some recommendations for powder type that you have used. I purchased this rifle in 1996 when first available and 10 boxes of factory Ammo loaded with 180 grain Barnes X bullets. At the time there were no unprimed cases or load data available so Factory ammo was the only choice. Those 10 boxes cost more than the rifle back then. I have most of the slow burning powder on hand plus all Magnum primers from most manufactures. I plan to use 180 or 200 grain bullets and I have most varieties on hand except Barnes and Hammer. I shot two elk and one deer with the factory loaded Barnes 180 X's and they did not expand well and I don't want to use them now. Let know what has worked for you. I also have all the current loading books on my library shelf. Hodgdon lists a max load of 113 grains of Retumbo with a 180 grain doing 3460 FPS. That would make this rifle a long range hammer for sure. This is part of the reason for the question as no other books list much over 107 gr of Retumbo. Thanks for the help.

You will need the slowest of powders for this round. In mine I use a max load of H-870, lit with a Fed 215 in a Weatherby case with a 200 gr Nosler Part. My oal is max magazine length minus .050 . With this I get appx .8 MOA with close to 3200 ft/sec. Don't test too much as this cartridge has a low round count. What I found was don't waste your time and barrel with powders in the H-4831/IMR7828 burn rate class. I would suggest powders like Retumbo and slower. ( US869--H50BMG etc) JMO

This is all very interesting to me as I just purchased a 30-378. I don't want to hijack your thread wrenches but seems like I'm out in left field on this. I purchased some 180 grain partitions to use with my IMR 7828 that I had on hand. Sounds like my bullets are too light and my powder's too fast for this rifle? Should I ditch this combo before I start?

The advancement in high BC bullets takes these high powder capacity cartridges to another level, in extended accurate yardage as long as you have enough twist to stabilize the bullet! Also the current slow burning powders add to this. Like I said earlier in this thread, 225-230 is where I would start. Put it in perspective shooting a 180 in a 30-378 is like shooting a 150 in a 300 WM, you are leaving a lot of potential on the table. I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in! 👍🤝🇺🇸🍺🙏

I have some experience with this cartridge, and I can tell you that shooting 180 class bullets will require you to go to the what I call mid slow range of powders..... H1000, 7828, N565, RL-26. Make sure you are using Fed 215 primers! In this bullet weight class N565, has had the best accuracy and speed.

This can also be subjective to what your particular barrel likes.

My particular rifle has a Weatherby factory installed Kreiger.

Go to the Hodgden website and look up their load offerings, maybe start there.

Make sure you let your barrel cool between rounds! Not shot strings!

This is a fantastic round, but there are sacrifices!

Thanks for the heads up. I have always used 180 grain in my 30's. I have never given a thought to anything heavier. I will try some of the new high BC bullets from the various manufactures. I see that Berger Makes up to 240 grain hunting 30 cals. I will give them a try if I can find some. I have all the slow burners on hand so, will post the results. Again thanks for the help.

Thanks for the heads up. I have always used 180 grain in my 30's. I have never given a thought to anything heavier. I will try some of the new high BC bullets from the various manufactures. I see that Berger Makes up to 240 grain hunting 30 cals. I will give them a try if I can find some. I have all the slow burners on hand so, will post the results. Again thanks for the help.
The Bergers seat a little too deep if you are wanting to run as a repeater, taking up some powder space.