Diesel Truck for hunting

ewallace

Looking for a ultra long range hunting truck to carry all the stuff needed for hunting at long range. Thinking about a Diesel any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Any 8 foot bed will do. The equipment for two shooters will fill up the bed and the cap over it.

You will soon have to put a shelf in the front half to seperate big from little and help with finding things.

As to the diesel, who can say. I have a Ford Diesel and hope to buy the GMC in a dually because of the Allison transmission. I will be towing a 13,000 lb trailer and need that transmission.

Not too sure I can strongly recommend a diesel to those that don't need them for hauling. Prices on fuel are not advantageous as they once were.

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: Randy in Va ]

Eric

Have had the diesels and the gas. If you are buy and keep till the wheels fall off, then diesel for sure. If you buy but trade every 3-4 yrs then gas. Gas figure 130-180K max, diesel 250-300k or more on average with always ones better or worse.

diesels only come in 3/4 ton also (but have seen one 2003 Chevy Duramax 1/2 ton but it was really heavy half ton) They give you a lot more power, particulariy pulling or heavy loaded and with better gas milage than the gas. They weigh more also. Most 3/4 ton diesels today go with 3.73 gears and 4x4 will give you 16-20 MPG with AT and maybe 1-2 MPG more with manual. Loaded expect about a 2 MPG or less drop. Cost is about $4-5k more upfront though.

I averaged 14 mpg pulling 13,000 lb trailer and bed loaded from CA to NC at 70 mph cruising. Mine was 96 F250 7.3 liter with 4.10 gears and avg 16 mpg empty. Weighed in at 7200lbs unloaded. No way you want 4.10 gears unless pulling all the time.

Gas most 1/2 ton 4x4 will avg 15-18 mpg and loaded out for trip, will drop to the 11-14 MPG range, some better some worse.

Personal opinion is I like the 4 door better than the ext cab also. Particularily for LR hunting trips with 3 or more people.

New 4 dr, 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 will cost $35-38k while good used with 80-100k on odometer will cost half that. Used only way to go is Ford 7.3 liter, however 2 yr old duramaxs are coming onto the market. New the Chev duramax is really doing well. The new ford 6.0 liter is having problems with injector pumps and leaking coolants I have heard, would buy the 7.3 instead (special order). Not a Dodge fan, heard too many bad things about the trans, brakes and interiors.

As for cost difference for fuel, small difference but not if you watch where you buy and hit the truck stops. However, diesel in towns will normally be 20 cents higher at least.

Most diesels come with dual tanks 35-38 gallon total which puts you in the 500-600 mile range before fillup. Plenty of "bottom time" and time to find cheaper diesel. Gas normally one tank.

Just for info looking for a used F250 4x4 diesel 4 dr 7.3 liter with short bed for my LR hunting rig.

BH

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Dodge has a few minor issues, but nothing like the 2003 powerstrokes. You can find a 2000-2002 used Dodge quad cab for a reasonable price. The Cummins is a fine engine that will far outlast the truck.
The main issues for the Dodge are a weak electric fuel pump and the track bar. The injection pump on the Cummins uses fuel as lubriction and cooling, so if the fuel pump pressure is not monitored, it could result in an expensive lesson. Injection pumps go for $850 - $2000 depending on where you get one. The track bar is weak and makes the steering loose eventually. Easy to fix and not that expensive.

If you want to look at more information about the Dodge/Cummins go to http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ and see what people are saying and doing with their trucks.

Personally, I get 18 in town, 21 on long trips, unless I go over 70 mph. Mileage for speeds 70 and up drops like a rock.
The only things that have gone wrong with my truck are the fuel pump (from low fuel pressure), a crankshaft position sensor, and I need to put new seals in the vacuum pump.

I'm a huge fan of the Powerstroke and have 2 now and have had many...
I have the Banks Stinger Plus sytem and it pulls and runs like a raped ape.. not many Cumins can keep up....

some things to consider.. if your used to cadalac type ride.. get ready for a wake up call.. all diesels are stiff... and most are noisy on the outside.. the NEW dodge are really quiet and so is the Dura max ( it is a joke though )
If you live in really cold temps.. and go hunting for a day and your truck sits in the -'s for a while .. get kinda iffy on the starting.. and don't plan on sneaking up on anything...

Like BH said.. of you're gonna drop the $$ for a diesel GET 4 DOORS!!!

I get 14-15 mpg nomatter what I have hooked up and a little better empty...

with that said... I'm not real sure I would never be without a diesel... they run forever.. do you NEED a diesel to haul LR equipment.. no not really unless you hauling a heavy trailer.. but they are very COOL!!

Any manufacture will have its problems and you'll get into ****ing mathces with Cummins vs PowerStroke etc... truth is they are both real good and it is a matter of what style you like...

The Dodge and Ford seems to be the most popular.

I have had both and now have a Dodge Cummins with the full Banks Stinger package and extra large intercooler.

My 1st choice would be the Dodge, hands down.
Theres no glow plugs in a Dodge and I almost got hung up in Colorado when two plugs failed me in cold weather when I had the Ford.
It "just" fired at the last minute and the batteries were going down fast. Brand new batteries before I stated my trip west or it wouldn't have started.

Had a friend with a Ford who had to be towed out in an isolated area in Wyoming when he had two glow plugs fail and he couldn't get it started. Yes, it was cold out. I got to the point I would replace the glow plugs every year or less.

The cummins has a fuel preheater and there isn't a problem starting them in extreme cold weather. No glow plugs to fool with.

Have not had any trouble with the Dodge and it gets 20 miles per gallon if I'm not pulling anything.

Pulling a load on a trailer it will drop to 15 and 16 MPG at 75 and 80 Miles per hour, depending on the fuel I get.

Just my 2 cents worth but, it's the Dodge for me. To each his own.
Later
DC
smile.gif

Eric,

I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 Diesel. She runs great. If you can handle the higher intitial cost and the higher maintance costs (15 qts of oil vs 6 for the gasser, $10 oil filter, fuel pump every 3 oil changes, air filter every 3 oil changes)the diesel is the way to go. I get around 20-22 MPG on the highway at 70 mph with my buddy and our hunting gear. Towing my race car I get about 15-16 mpg. If you keep the truck til the wheels fall the diesel will outlive the rest of the truck. I know lots of people with the new Ford 6.0L diesel and have no problems. The major issues have been resolved. Get the 4 door crew cab. I have the extended cab and wished I had the crew cab ever since I went on my first trip with it. I had my Diesel out there when I shot with you and Mr Browning last year. Feel free to ask any questions.

Matt

Wyo, What makes the Duramax Diesel a joke?

Looks to me like the Allison offsets a small deficit of the engine. Also my GMC dealer will install the 400 HP chip and still offer the full warranty.

What should I know?

(For others to respond to as well)

Matt, are you actually putting in a new fuel pump every 3 oil changes and if so, what does this cost ? Another post talked about the weak fuel pump in the Dodge which is what I have ( 2003 ).

Randy

when he said joke think he was referring to about them being quiet.

What does the chip give you that you need? Better MPG or more power and less MPG?

Hunter

Think he was talking a new fuel pump "filter" every 3 oil changes.

BH

BH. I will be towing a 5th wheel of 13,000 or so lbs and will accept xtra power. Not sure about other Chip benefits but have not ordered it yet.

Hunter66654,

Sorry that was a typo. It should read fuel FILTER. The fuel pump has been maintenance free for 120K miles. I have not heard anything bad about the Dodge fuel pumps. They are really quiet now. I love the Cummins motor just not the Dodge truck as a whole. I had a 96 model that was a big ***. Nickle and dimed me to death. I have heard good things about the Chevy D-max. The trans is nice (allison automatic). Fords new 5spd automatic with the tow/haul mode works REALLY nice. My brother has a Crew Cab 4X4 and tows a big enclosed trailer. I drove it last fall. It is very very nice for towing. Big change from my 4R100 automatic in the 2000 Super Duty.

By the way, I have the 100 HP chip in my Powerstroke and she flat hauls. It is from TS Performance. Call them up and talk to Dennis Perry. He will take care of you. Not only does it improve engine performance but it adjusts the trans shifting. I bought it mainly to help the trans. The boost in performance was a bonus.

Matt

[ 02-04-2004: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]

Have a friend in Ohio that has one of the 6 speed standard HO and he has had NO problems with a fuel pump ever.

Randy the chip will give you more HP and also better fuel economy because it is running more efficiently.

As for the question about the Chevy diesel being a joke, he may have meant because it's "JAP" engine in the Chevy?

One could always get the standard transmission and not worry about tearing out the automatic with the extra torque of ANY of the diesels.
This is what a "very large" transmission shop in Akron recomended when I took my Ford Automatic in to have it rebuilt. That cost me $2250.00. I'll take the standard everytime now.

Not sure if the Allison would hold up any better?

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.