Developing a western hunting 260 rifle: Berger 140gr Elite Hunters or Hornady 143gr ELD-X?

Winny94

Im going to start working up a load to hunt Mulies, pronghorns, coyotes, etc. out west and midwest prairies. Needless to say, i'd like to find a load that is ethically suitable out to 700-800 (Probably wont take that shot unless conditions are 100%, but I want the flexibility).

Im debating between the Berger 140gr Elites or Hornady 143gr ELD-X. G7s are very similar with a very slight nod to Hornady. I am shooting a Tikka that I mod'ed to be a "long action" so OAL is of no concern. Which route would you take and why?

Not to sound like a smart a** but try both and shoot whatever works best in your rifle. Both will do the job on game so use what's gives you the most confidence to hit where your aiming !!

I use both the ELD's in my 338-Lapua and the Bergers in my 7mm Rem. Again, whatever shoots best and gives you the most confidence !!

I agree, shoot what your rifle likes. Either of those bullets would do fine. I wouldn't count out the 147 Eld M. I currently load 140 amax in my 260 but when my pile runs out I will probably switch to the 147.

I'd start with the Hornadys since they're cheaper and will give more reliable expansion. The Bergers should also expand reliably if you use a drill bit to make sure the hollow points are open on your hunting rounds. They are both very similar bullets, and I agree that you should use the one that shoots best in your gun. But if you're trying to decide which one to try first I'd go with the Hornady for the 2 reasons above. If they won't shoot accurately enough for your liking then try the Bergers.

I'd start with the Hornadys since they're cheaper and will give more reliable expansion. The Bergers should also expand reliably if you use a drill bit to make sure the hollow points are open on your hunting rounds. They are both very similar bullets, and I agree that you should use the one that shoots best in your gun. But if you're trying to decide which one to try first I'd go with the Hornady for the 2 reasons above. If they won't shoot accurately enough for your liking then try the Bergers.
Thanks for the reply. Obviously I'd like to just get both and see, but the idea of spending $50 on a box bullets where 60%-80% of them wont be used doesn't sound that appealing (then again, maybe my budget is a fraction of what many of you have, and $50 isn't as big of a deal).

Thanks for the reply. Obviously I'd like to just get both and see, but the idea of spending $50 on a box bullets where 60%-80% of them wont be used doesn't sound that appealing (then again, maybe my budget is a fraction of what many of you have, and $50 isn't as big of a deal).

If you're going to try the Bergers, seat them .015" off the lands, and test your powder charges from there to find your most accurate and repeatable node.

I'll give a good vote for the 143 ELD-X. I've been running them at 2.8 OAL in my 260 out of a 1-8" savage, they shoot very well. I've tried them at various charges with 2 different powders and have yet to have a group over .75in. If you're running them in a LA, you could get them up over 2850-2900, where they would be doing real good. Try some RL26 or H4831sc and I'm sure they'll do good for you.

I was just wondering this myself. I shot both of those in my 6.5 WSM in a long action last weekend and they both shoot lights out. Accuracy difference is no longer a criteria for me. Both are going right at 3300 and both are seated in excess of .140" off the lands. Neither seems to care about seating depth.

So, with my accuracy and velocity difference being nil between the two, which do I choose?

As a side note, I noticed the meplats are more open on the Elite Hunters compared to the Hybrids or VLDs. Opening them further doesn't seem necessary.

Well over .140. A previous one liked .015" but I never shot it at .140". My seating die was at that depth so I went ahead and loaded with it and found it to shoot just as good.

In a 260 I would consider the 129 LRAB as well. You are not giving up a ton of BC, but can gain some speed. The numbers should come out fairly close over 700-800 yards, and it would give one more option to find a bullet that your rifle likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.