Berger 140 Elite hunters vs Hornady 143 ELD-X

This was from my deer this season at 210 yards. Dropped like a sack of potatoes. Decimated the heart and was sticking almost completely through the other side. Shot out of a 6.5-284 going 2800fps

143 eldx
1021181524.jpg

My saum is the .081 freebore. It shoots the 140 elite hunters a lot better than the eldx bullets. I've killed a lot of deer with the elite hunters. I'd say 95% of them are drt. My only complaint is the deer that run off are hard to find. They don't leave a very good blood trail.

I have used both the Eld-X and Berger VLD Hunting bullet. ELD-X out of a 6.5-300 and Berger out of 300 Win. Both performed in DRT fashion. I think a lot of it is placement as at high velocity and close ranges a direct strike to the bone could create a challenge. I am going to work up a Hammer set up as well for those guns. The mono properties of the bullet plus the fact that it sheds weight/petals of bullet are really appealing to me. In my mind, the best of both worlds.

Had to speak with the guys at hornady about some custom dies today and once more reiterated my rant about how they need to bond the ELD-X same as the Interbond and they'll dominate the market.

Also talked to the engineer responsible for the Interbond and reiterated how much we need some higher BC heavy for caliber options. Now that most of the intro to the ELD's is over maybe they'll make some headway in those directions.

Nice animal, great shooting and an excellent write up.

View attachment 109184
Exit wound from antelope my buddy shot with my 260 Rem and 143 elk-x (referenced in prior post)
For my money that 2-3 finger exit wound is Ideal I talk about "golfball sized exit wounds" as the norm but that covers it well.

Even if they have some life left in them you get minimal meat loss and a blood trail a blind man can follow.

For my money that 2-3 finger exit wound is Ideal I talk about "golfball sized exit wounds" as the norm but that covers it well.

Even if they have some life left in them you get minimal meat loss and a blood trail a blind man can follow.
I've been happy to see that performance on the two pronghorn. I can feel good about how they died. The exit on the antelope I shot was the same size as that in the photo I posted, though I forgot to get a picture of it. While I use the 210 HVLD with my 300WM, for the 260 Rem I chose to go with the 143 ELD-X only because of the slight peace of mind it offers from not having to worry about any tip issues I've read about at times on Bergers (never experienced that myself but was nagging at me). The ELD-X is 1/2 MOA for me, which wasn't quite as good as the Bergers I was loading.

That's all the game that rifle will be able to take this year, but in the future I look forward to seeing how the bullet performs at different impact velocities. My son is my ever-willing pronghorn hunting partner, and I'm prioritizing teaching stalking and concealment so the shots are close. I suspect we'll have the need to air one out at a bit farther distance in the future. In meantime, if anyone has pics of performance as slower impact velocities, please share!

I've been happy to see that performance on the two pronghorn. I can feel good about how they died. The exit on the antelope I shot was the same size as that in the photo I posted, though I forgot to get a picture of it. While I use the 210 HVLD with my 300WM, for the 260 Rem I chose to go with the 143 ELD-X only because of the slight peace of mind it offers from not having to worry about any tip issues I've read about at times on Bergers (never experienced that myself but was nagging at me). The ELD-X is 1/2 MOA for me, which wasn't quite as good as the Bergers I was loading.

That's all the game that rifle will be able to take this year, but in the future I look forward to seeing how the bullet performs at different impact velocities. My son is my ever-willing pronghorn hunting partner, and I'm prioritizing teaching stalking and concealment so the shots are close. I suspect we'll have the need to air one out at a bit farther distance in the future. In meantime, if anyone has pics of performance as slower impact velocities, please share!
Enjoy and appreciate the time you have with him now no matter how frustrating it can be at times.

All of the best memories of my father were hunting and fishing trips. Those will be forever burned into his brain.

Having shot shot several hogs with both bullets very effectively.
The Bergers (VLD-H) Fragment on impact. All hogs died.
Hornady ELD-x has a led core. Still hogs died.

If you are trying to preserve meat. I would use the ELD-x.
If pristine accuracy is your game (neck/head shots) then use the Bergers.

Having shot shot several hogs with both bullets very effectively.
The Bergers (VLD-H) Fragment on impact. All hogs died.
Hornady ELD-x has a led core. Still hogs died.

If you are trying to preserve meat. I would use the ELD-x.
If pristine accuracy is your game (neck/head shots) then use the Bergers.
I haven't had any VLDs fragment on impact on deer, elk, or hogs....they've all gone in several inches(as advertised) before violent expansion/fragmenting and most have had exit holes even at high velocity, close range..... nearly all have been DRT! Used in 6.5 CM, 26 Nosler, 264 WM, 280 AI, 300 WB, 25-06, 6.5x284 Norma.

Last edited: