Devcon on barrel tenon?

Closet I have ever done to something evolving the threads and Devcon was when using a previously setback barrel for hunting rifle. I Devcon filled the previous large relief groove, set the shoulder back and then picked up the original threads. What I ended up with was steel threads up by shoulder, Devcon threads and then back to original threads . It just looked better to me whether it was right or wrong. Turned out to be good shooting hunting rifle.

I've used the loctite thread sealer on my threads before. I tried some experiments with it to try and get more accuracy during long strings. I used it with just hand tight barrel and let it set up and it shot the same. Tried different amounts of torque with it and really found no benefit to using it. Now if you had a sloppy fit on the tennon I think it would help. Maybe. I haven't tried. I got the idea from guys building match grade ARs using thread sealant on the tennon to reduce play. Big difference is the AR tennon isn't threaded so a perfect fit helps. On a threaded shank once tightened up it will self center and stay there. Real good write up in one of the old Precision Shooting magazines about this. I haven't used the sealant on another rifle since. I do the test and if it's better I keep doing it. If it does nothing I'm not going to do it. A negative result just speaks for itself. Most of the stuff I do regarding accuacy is from doing the work and quantifying the results. Even when world record holders tell me things to try or how they do it. I just do it and look at the results. Basically 3 results can happen. The Good, the Bad and the Indifferent. Sorry Clint.😄
Shep

Last edited:
Thanks shep. Ive tried thread sealer, copper gasket stuff, anti sieze and grease. Thought I'd try this out. Like you i prefer to see the "whys" for myself. If it doesnt improve, at least i know

You will know 100% and will come to your own conclusions whether to do it again. I know most of the guys I shot BR with over the yrs used bolt grease on there tennons. It's a high pressure grease and seemed to work well. I use a high pressure aircraft grease that comes in the big tube and I've been refilling customers tubes for yrs on one big tube. I charge them 1 dollar. Good investment.
Let us know your results.
Shep

Your gunsmith will love you for that. :eek: Believe it or not, Not to long ago I had to remove a barrel that was a Remage (Remington/Savage cross) that he thought it would allow him to screw the barrel on hand tight and not move. To remove it, I had to use well over 150 ft/lbs and warm it with my hot air gun.

I can't say If it will change the harmonics, But it will be almost impossible to remove without ruining the barrel or the action. Sorry to be so blunt.

J E CUSTOM
My thoughts were exactly the same.
I can't imagine the tensile strength that will be required to break that barrel free of the rifle's receiver.
I just know that I would never apply epoxy to any rifle barrel's threads.
I.M.H.O. It is just a recipe for disaster, and heating up your barrel may be your only salvation.

I have used this for every AR rifle assembly, Auto-5 shotgun lube and a host of assembly projects around the farm. I have yet to have an engine failure, rifle or shotgun seize up or have any gear boxes show premature wear.

It's cheap enough to use liberally for most projects.

Screenshot_20201031-143304.png

I am my gunsmith :) Devcon is easy to remove with a bit of heat. I don't torque to even 100ftlbs, but that is a whole other debate. I'll post results. Was hoping some had tried this already being the innovative community we are
Now if you had a sloppy fit on the tennon I think it would help. Maybe. I haven't tried.
When I was a kid doing pipefitting, we used this pipe dope called "GasOila" (or something like that). Great as pipe dope, and I had to take a lot of pipes apart over the years as we would rebuild/refurbish the machinery. The stuff would set up like plaster of paris but not significantly add to the torque required. My jar is going on 40 years old, and I *still* use it for iron fittings. I'd use this pipe dope for sloppy thread mating.

As far as harmonics, mass and stiffness are your friend.

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but did take one apart today that I had tried this on. It took an extra 5 minutes with a heat gun on high to loosen up the devcon but came apart as advertised with no issues. Definitely not coming apart on it's own :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.