fn tsr barrel tenon length?

bjork

i have a fn tsr crf chambered in 300 wsm. i'm rebarreling to 270 wsm w/ a schneider 9 twist #4 sporter barrel and looking to order a mcmillan hunter stock.

what is the barrel tenon length on my rifle? what should be my finished breech length? 1 1/2"? i searched for the tenon length but came up with multiple numbers no doubt due to the variety of model 70s.

http://schneiderriflebarrels.com/#contours

from mcmillan's site,
"The medium narrow forearm can be inletted for sporting barrel contours up to about a #4 Douglas type with a shank length of 1.5" or less."

thanks.

If you wait untill you get your stock the Smith should be able to adjust tenon length to match it when he does the threading and chambering.

i have a fn tsr crf chambered in 300 wsm. i'm rebarreling to 270 wsm w/ a schneider 9 twist #4 sporter barrel and looking to order a mcmillan hunter stock.

what is the barrel tenon length on my rifle? what should be my finished breech length? 1 1/2"? i searched for the tenon length but came up with multiple numbers no doubt due to the variety of model 70s.

http://schneiderriflebarrels.com/#contours

from mcmillan's site,
"The medium narrow forearm can be inletted for sporting barrel contours up to about a #4 Douglas type with a shank length of 1.5" or less."

thanks.

If the smith takes the old barrel off he can measure it and duplicate the exact dimensions for the new barrel. This way it will fit where the old barrel went.

If it is a new stock, he will have to inlet to fit anyway.

J E CUSTOM

The tenon length, the part with the threads on it, will vary from rifle to rifle, action to action. Will the action be faced before measuring for the new barrel install? That tenon length will be completely dependent on the person doing the barrel install if you are expecting a length to the thousandth (.001"). That will have a bearing on length. When you call Mc to order, they will want to know the length of the shank from the face of the action to where the steep angle of the taper begins. A scaled length is all that is need. They will want to know the diameter of the barrel shank, also. Then , they will want to know the maker of the barrel and contour. Then, you wait. To have the barreled action seemless to the stock, wait until the metal work is complete before ordering the stock. As for what the shank length should be, in general the shoulder of the cartridge when chambered should not go past where the steep taper begins. I'd rather have that length a bit long than too short. If the person doing the barrel install is 'slick', he could duplicate the length of the shank (from the face of the action to where the steep taper begins). But me, I'd wait until the metal work s done.....

waiting til the metal work is done is the way to go. i'm feeling hamstrung by the cylinder length of the schneider, 2.5". i should be able to keep the cylinder of the schneider beyond the shoulder, but it's a bit closer than i'd like.
the third line from the left is the 1.5" mark. the last line on the right is where the contour begins on the factory barrel and is ~1.9". the other two lines are where i believe the shoulder begins and the case ends. not precise by any means- just getting a handle on what i'm dealing with.

do you think the schneider is sufficient to spec a finished breech length of 1.4" or 1.5" after the receiver is faced? i will have the action trued.

shortgrass mentioned,
"I'd rather have that length a bit long than too short." how much is a bit long?

i do have a pacnor #4 w/ ~3.3" cylinder which would solve my concerns over breech length, as i could simply replicate the factory cylinder dimensions, but the blank is ~8 oz heavier than the schneider. will the finished weight between these blanks be de minimis? i'm more concerned about balance than overall weight. fyi, schneider is 9 twist, pacnor is 8.5 twist. the 8.5 is more capable as you guys know, but for my purposes it's not strictly necessary- though it might be fun!

i'm also comfortable with going slow and adjusting/opening up the inlet or full length bedding should it be called for.

Attachments

• 20190901_145116.jpg
    20190901_145116.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 173
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.