Devcon for bedding

jonboatjockey

I recently used Devcon to bed a barreled action to a McMillan Game warden. I followed the directions that came with the Devcon and used brownells aerosol release agent. Weird thing is that the Devcon hasn't fully hardened in the stock, I can till stick my fingernail into the bedding compound. Has anyone run into this before?

I used the 10110, and did a 1:1 ratio or whatever the directions called for, maybe I read them wrong. I bedded it a month ago. I went moderate on the release agent.

If the stuff is still soft after a month you for sure mixed it wrong. There are two mix ratios, one by weight 9/1 Devocn/Hardner and one by volume 2.5/1 Devcon/ hardener ratio. Weighing the two components is far more accurate but I typical do the eyeball volume mix and have never had a problem./ I intentionally tried mixing a real small batch with way too much harder and way too little. Both create a problem. Other than that it is pretty forgiving.

Carnuba based paste wax makes far and away the best release agent and I have tried them all with Devcon.

Hmm. This is what I was wondering @Dean2. Thanks for the input. So at this point it is what it is unless someone with obviously more knowledge than I in this area says it's going to be a real issue.

Hmm. This is what I was wondering @Dean2. Thanks for the input. So at this point it is what it is unless someone with obviously more knowledge than I in this area says it's going to be a real issue.
Well no, it isn't really. You need to remove the soft bedding and redo it. If you can push your fingernail into it after a month it isn't going to get hard and it is too soft to do the job bedding is supposed to. A heat gun and screw driver will help you get 99% of it out quite easily.

I used the 10110, and did a 1:1 ratio or whatever the directions called for, maybe I read them wrong. I bedded it a month ago. I went moderate on the release agent.
Read them wrong? How about didn't read them.

If you had read the directions and mixed accordingly, you would have no problem remembering that you didn't use a 1:1 ratio.

If you want a really good bedding epoxy that you can mix 1:1, get some Brownells Steel Bed.

If it is still soft I would dig it out and redo the bedding job. If you have pillars it might be a little better. Like others have said mix by weight 9:1 ratio. It is really good bedding but not as forgiving as other types of epoxy.

All I've ever used is Devcon. It's a 2.5:1 mix for 10110 which is what I use. I don't weigh mine, I use measuring spoons. It depends on what I'm bedding and how big the voids are I have to fill. For instance, I'll use like 1 tablespoon of resin and 1.25 teaspoons of hardener. If I'm doing a smaller batch, say just for pillars and to bed the tang and bottom medal. Then I would split that in half and use 1/2 tablespoon and like 1/2 a teaspoon. It's not perfect but I've never had a problem with my bedding setting up and hardening on time. It's a little confusing, but if you sit down and think it out, and write it down like I forgot to do the first time, it's easy to go back to your notes and copy what you did.

I use it all the time and I just make two separate piles with two different putty knives. When it looks like 2.5/1 then I blend them together and I've never had any issues. Good luck!

I have had no issues with Devcon when mixed 50:50. I have not had any I like the 5 minute type for scope bases, the only Devcon product that worked very poorly for me was the "metal" based formulation. It would not release well with several different types of release agents, leaving compound on both pieces being joined.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.