Devcon for bedding

I have had no issues with Devcon when mixed 50:50. I have not had any I like the 5 minute type for scope bases, the only Devcon product that worked very poorly for me was the "metal" based formulation. It would not release well with several different types of release agents, leaving compound on both pieces being joined.

If you are mixing the metal 50-50 the issue isn't the release agent, it is your mix ratio is so far off that the material is not hardening properly. You will see the same result, even with the correct 2.5-1 mix, if you try to pop your action out before the Devcon has at least 24 hours to set up properly. Many guys try to pop the gun out early because they are worried about the gun sticking in the stock, all this does is make a mess because the Devcon is not hard enough to stay in place properly. Use two coats of Carnuba wax, put one on buff off after dry and then do the same again. Leave your Devcon for at least 24 hours, I often leave it 36, then remove the action. It will pop right out with a smart wack of a rubber hammer and you will get a perfect mirror finish bedding job.

Devcon is not overly critical on the volume mix ratio but you can't be anywhere near 50-50.

I have used several bedding epoxies, not all, but several and have settled on Devcon to be as good as needed. Once I learned how to do it right, there are other things to attend to than experimenting with more epoxies. The most important thing about it has already been said but I wanted to reinforce that Devcon instructions give two ways to get to the right mix. You can weigh the two components or you can measure by volume (teaspoons or whatever). Either one works just don't use the weight ratio to do a volume measurement. The instructions tell you what they are so I won't recite them here. I use my elec. powder scale, weight the empty cups to tare out their weight, and weigh both components before mixing. For me, nothing more elegant than a couple or three coats of Kiwi shoe polish, rubbed to a gloss when dry, has ever been needed for a release agent. Good luck on your project!

Have bedded maybe 10-12 rifles with devcon, never weighed the components.....found that by mixing a little more hardner, it sets up faster. Also, almost had a disaster with the last one, the Devcon was cold (60 degrees) and the mix was stiff from the get go.....but I was amazed that it still came out a mirror image of the action.....I would use just a little more hardner than recommended, as I hate redoing stuff....rsbhunter

Another note like @rsbhunter mentioned, don't let your Devcon get cold. I left my downstairs in my basement against the block wall and it sat there for months. When I went to bed a rifle it was very stiff and hard to mix. I was able to work it and mix it enough to bed the gun and it worked, but I don't recommend it haha.

I use Kiwi shoe polish for release agent, usually 2 coats, buffed between coats....have considered Pam, but don't want to risk it pooling, or with my luck, using to much....with the Kiwi , I leave it on, as , being a wax, it only protects it...but, I've learned, no matter what product, if it works, do it...rsbhunter

I use an ancient can of car wax and apply a nice thin coating to all of the metal. Johnson's paste wax and Kiwi shoe polish is also good. I use three layers of masking tape on the recoil lug and trim it with a razor blade. I tape the sides and bottom and make sure I push the back of the lug against the stock. I build a **** in the mag well with some clay and also I clay around the trigger. In the barrel channel I put three layers of masking tape for the bedding to flow on. When I clean up its easy to trim on the tape line and then just break it cleanly away when removing the tape. The release wipes off easily and doesn't leave any residue or peel off. It's such a thin layer that it doesn't cause a huge gap between the stock and metal.

When I'm breaking the barreled action away from the wood for the first time, I insert the bolt into the action and slide it all the way back. I grab the barrel just ahead of the stock and grab the back of the bolt and lift up and rock back and forth easily until the barreled action lifts out.

I use Devcon regularly. A small Dixie cup zeroed on my digital scale. Plop in roughly 50 grams of part A .Divide that amount by 9 and add that much hardener to the original weight , (50÷9=5.5+50=55.5) perfect every time. I can pop action out of the stock in 6-8 hours. Fully cures overnight. Release agents I prefer are kiwi,brownells acra-release aerosol,and mothers synthetic wax depending on the actions finish. BTW Marine tex is used in same fashion @ 6:1 ratio by weight. With equal results.

I've used a lot of different types of Dev-Con products at work over the last 45 years . They all have a shelf life . I've used it in below 0 temps by heating it in a microwave putting in an excelerator and insulating it . I've used it in plus 130 heat also . When it's cold and stiff heat it in a micro wave for a few seconds it will thin and be mixable . use the ratio that it says to on the label . if you want a 1 to 1 mix use JB weld . I have never had any Dev-Con not set up for me I have had it set too fast it will set up in the can if it is way past it's shelf life you can heat it and get by when that happens a time or two then mix it as recommended . If you want to just do 1 or 2 bedding jobs Dev-Con is pretty expensive and it's probably more cost effective to go with smaller tubes of JB weld or get a bedding kit . I don't bed actions for a living I do them for myself as part of what I do for relaxation . I also don't shoot as a competitor those guys know more about bedding then me but I have used a lot of Dev-Con in a lot of differing environments .

Sorry to hear your bedding compound never hardened up. That's very frustrating.

Once you dig it out and start over, please use this bedding compound instead - Pro-Bed 2000. It is the very best and made specifically for the job by a master gunsmith (Charley Robertson @ Scorehigh Gunsmithing in ABQ, NM).
Brown: https://www.probed2000.com/?page_id...with-Brown-Resin/p/95502502/category=13633196
Black: https://www.probed2000.com/?page_id...with-Black-Resin/p/95502501/category=13633196
It wasn't the devcons fault :) I'm sure pro bed is great, but devcon has been used by many with great results. I've done in the hundreds of bedding jobs with it. Mix it correctly and use release agents correctly and you'll be fine. Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes

Pardon Edd. Dean2 has you on the right path. Devcon steel has done a ton of rifles for me. There are other products that work well, but mix 2.5-1 on the devcon and you're good.
I've used devcon many times. Mostly the titanium puddy. I've never had it fail me when mixed correctly.

I used the 10110, and did a 1:1 ratio or whatever the directions called for, maybe I read them wrong. I bedded it a month ago. I went moderate on the release agent.

The instructions do call for a 1:1 ratio. One FULL container of resin to one FULL container of hardener contained in the kit. If not using all of the material in the kit then the by weight or volume ratios listed previously apply.

Kiwi Neutral shoe polish works nicely for release and plumbers putty for dams and block outs.

There are more arguably "professionals" who recommend the Devcon than the Pro-bed 2000. I haven't used pro-bed but would like to try it. Devcon putty (including the aluminum putty) works extremely well.

As to heat/temperature and time. Epoxies are exothermic (create heat while curing) and also extremely heat sensitive while curing. The last stock I did a bit of Devcons recommended heat cure and that turned out nicer. Temps were elevated to maybe 95F (since that's all I could get with my setup) after the initial set at ~70F per their recommended time line. It worked very well.

As to all the quoted ratios, weights, times, etc. All of these need to retain whatever value is attached to it. To say mix at 1:1 or 2.5:1 or 9:1 may all be correct but we need to keep all the information. 1:1 as packaged or 2.5:1 by volume or 9:1 by weight. Also we need to be sure to be talking about the same product. Devcon makes a lot of epoxies and the all can have different properties and mix ratios. More hardener does not necessarily make it kick faster and can have devastating effects on strength. 24hrs at 60F could still be soft where 12 at 75F cured enough to work and maybe 2hrs@70F then 6hrs@100F gives optimal cure. (Don't use these numbers as I'm just going from memory here and would look it up to be sure.) There really is a science to this stuff. Volume of epoxy in the rifle makes a difference too. Thinner sections generate less heat.

No need for anyone to get judgemental or hostel about this. I've made simpler mistakes. Let those comments roll off your back. The existing bedding does need to come out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.