Devcon recoil lug?

foggy

Hi to the collective.

I have a tikka in 30-06 which I have fully bedded in a GRS laminate stock.

I have used devcon and intended to relieve the area around the recoil lug aperture after I had broken the action loose from the bedding.

I didn't bed the recoil lug initially, because I have in the past had them not mating fully with the action, so I was going to cut out the recess and then bed separately.

However I have a very neat, and substantially thick section of steel devcon where the usual aluminium recoil lug would be,

I'm just wondering if this would be a strong as bedding the original one in.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Nik.

Devcon 10110 is what I use to bed all the time. To make sure you don't bind, I add a layer of tape on the front, sides and bottom of the recoil lug and coat them in release (Johnsons Paste Wax). That way the bedding does not stress the action. remove tape after bedding is done.

Larry
Tinkerer

morning, the aircraft industry uses devcon for aerodynamic repair to the flight

surfaces. truly very strong.lightbulb

Hi to the collective.

I have a tikka in 30-06 which I have fully bedded in a GRS laminate stock.

I have used devcon and intended to relieve the area around the recoil lug aperture after I had broken the action loose from the bedding.

I didn't bed the recoil lug initially, because I have in the past had them not mating fully with the action, so I was going to cut out the recess and then bed separately.

However I have a very neat, and substantially thick section of steel devcon where the usual aluminium recoil lug would be,

I'm just wondering if this would be a strong as bedding the original one in.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Nik.
If you are saying that you want to replace the aluminium lug with the devcon that is in place now, I would NOT recommend it. Devcon is strong, but holding up to recoil over TIME may find it lacking, it may take one shot or 1000, but I wouldn't trust it.
I never liked having the recoil lug as a separate item to the action, even the Rem 700 curls my toes with it's recoil lug set up.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Sako also uses an aluminum recoil lug in many of there actions, and I feel It should be replaced for a better material and a better fit to the action.

Bedding is intended to help the action fit the stock and prolong the fit over the stock materials but it will not last for ever on a strong recoiling rifle and at some point need to be re-done.

I also would not consider it strong enough to use as a recoil lug.

J E CUSTOM

Well I was a little sceptical, which is why I put the question out there.

I got nervous so relieved the area and then bedded the original!

If it had been my own rifle, I would probably given it a go, just to see, but it was for a friend.

Many thanks for input guys.

Nik

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts