Demonstrating how Coriolis effects bullet drop at 1000 yards video

That's a good video Feenix, those guys at Gunwerks have some good videos to help explain just about everything associated with long range shooting. If someone is just starting out they should watch there videos......

While the Gunwerks range experiment is a good example of the "Eotvos" effect, their explanation is wrong. Coriolis results in "perceived" trajectory variations caused by earth's rotating reference frame. Eotvos is independent of Coriolis and has a real impact on bullet trajectory due to centrifugal forces.

While the Gunwerks range experiment is a good example of the "Eotvos" effect, their explanation is wrong. Coriolis results in "perceived" trajectory variations caused by earth's rotating reference frame. Eotvos is independent of Coriolis and has a real impact on bullet trajectory due to centrifugal forces.

Interesting. I had never heard of the Eotvos effect before and there isn't much info about it either. So its my understanding that coriolis is the effect of the target moving away or toward the bullet (after it leaves the barrel) on a horizontal plane? And Eotvos is the effect of the target moving up or down (relevant to the bullet after it leaves the barrel) on a vertical plane? Or am I just confusing myself?

TA406:
From The Arms Guide (Published on February 3rd, 2014 | by Alessio Baldi):
"Despite being associated with Coriolis, the phenomenon that actually affect the vertical component of the trajectory is called Eötvös Effect. The rotation of the Earth generates a centrifugal force, the same that pushes you to the side when you make a sharp turn with your car. This force act perpendicular to the Earth rotatory axis, adding or subtracting to the gravity force. When an object flies eastward, in the same direction of Earth's rotation, centrifugal force acts opposite of gravity, pushing it away from the Earth's surface. If the object flies westward, in the opposite direction of the Earth rotation, centrifugal force pushes the object toward the ground concurrently to gravity force. Thus, bullets fired to the east always fly a little higher, and, conversely, bullets fired to the west always travel somewhat low."

Full article: Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics - The Coriolis Effect | The Arms Guide

Why do you think NASA uses Florida for most of its launches? Do you think NASA engineers picked the location because of the scantily clad women in Florida? Well ok, that may be the real reason, but the scientific reason NASA gives is the Eotvos effect. The linear velocity of the earth at the equator is 1,070 mph or about 1,600 fps. That makes it easier to reach the roughly 25,000 mph needed to achieve escape velocity. The earth's linear velocity is at its maximum at the equator and falls to near zero at the poles. NASA saves fuel by taking advantage of this effect. BTW, NASA launches its rockets to the east.

TA406:
"Despite being associated with Coriolis, the phenomenon that actually affect the vertical component of the trajectory is called Eötvös Effect. The rotation of the Earth generates a centrifugal force, the same that pushes you to the side when you make a sharp turn with your car. This force act perpendicular to the Earth rotatory axis, adding or subtracting to the gravity force. When an object flies eastward, in the same direction of Earth's rotation, centrifugal force acts opposite of gravity, pushing it away from the Earth's surface. If the object flies westward, in the opposite direction of the Earth rotation, centrifugal force pushes the object toward the ground concurrently to gravity force. Thus, bullets fired to the east always fly a little higher, and, conversely, bullets fired to the west always travel somewhat low."

Full article: Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics - The Coriolis Effect | The Arms Guide

Why do you think NASA uses Florida for most of its launches? Do you think NASA engineers picked the location because of the scantily clad women in Florida? Well ok, that may be the real reason, but the scientific reason NASA gives is the Eotvos effect. The linear velocity of the earth at the equator is 1,070 mph or about 1,600 fps. That makes it easier to reach the roughly 25,000 mph needed to achieve escape velocity. The earth's linear velocity is at its maximum at the equator and falls to near zero at the poles. NASA saves fuel by taking advantage of this effect. BTW, NASA launches its rockets to the east.
Actually they picked it because if anything went wrong with a launch it was most likely to happen over open water thus not endangering the civilian population.

TA406:

Thank you!

Florida is a long way from the equator.

Florida is however a peninsula surrounded on three sides by water and only a narrow strip of land to the north.

It was the safest place in the country from which to launch. Our early rocket program produed a lot of very undependable prototypes many of which had a problem with self destructing shortly after launch and way off target.

According to shose in my own family who were part of that early rocket program that was the primary deciding factor in locating it in S. Florida vs places like southern NM and S. TX.

Very good video. I didn't realize at 1,000 yards it could be quite that substantial. I guess it was dumb luck that almost all of my long range target shooting has been to the south. Now if I could just make my G7 automatically correct for it I'd have it made:).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.