Coriolis effect????

webb1b2

I was watching a show I can't rember if it was on youtube or tv, however a man was showing the effects of corolis on poi. He shot 5 shots at 1000yds directly west that grouped 8" low and 5 shots at 1000yds directly east that gropped 3" high. I have never figured in corolis as I shoot 500-700yds and felt at that distance it didn't make much diffrence however, I have found that at one place I shoot(where I sighted in my rifle that i'm nailing it at 500yds and another place my shots are low at same range. This gentelman also stated that rifles should be centered either north or south but to my mind if you do that arent you just trading elevation for windage. What are yals thoughts on coriolis and at what distance do you consider it? Brad

Usually around 1000 dependent on time of flight. Anything less I can't dial the difference in my scope. If I am using a computer and have time to enter the direction to target I'll leave this option checked regardless of the range.

I watched the video and was scratching my head. The comment "you could have almost a full minute of correction at 1000 yards dependent on your zero" left me dumbfounded. What the heck kind of east/west zero are these guys suggesting????? A 1000 yard zero? The video does show a good prediction of hitting high or low due to extended range dependent on target direction.

Noticing that you're new to the forum, Brad, welcome aboard.
Buy this book ....
Amazon.com: Applied Ballistics For Long-Range Shooting 2nd Edition: Understanding the Elements and Application of External Ballistics for Successful Long-Range Target Shooting and Hunting eBook: Bryan Litz: Kindle Store
It'll answer every question you ever had, or will have, about those kinds of issues and you won't be relying of "iffy" info you might get from a forum post.
When you read information on any forum always validate it through a known technical source. It'll save you a lot of embarrassment and, if you make purchasing decisions on such advice, lots of money.
Once again, welcome aboard. :)

It is easy enough to check the POI for your set up using a ballistic program like Shooter, and entering the latitude that you hunt and the azimuth for each; north, south, east, west. Hunting out to 1000 yards I personally don't bother with it. For longer range shooting out to 1500+, I do use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.