Coriolis Effect Questions

Add the bullet's spin drift to Coriolis drift, and rightward horizontal deflection at 1000 yds can be ~9-10", in my real life experiences - which pretty closely match the Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase 3.0 predicted magnitudes of rightward drift.

When I experienced the equivalent of ~ 1moa (10") combined Coriolis and spin drift at 1000 yds, I decided it was time to factor the dope into my long range shots. 10" of horizontal drift is enough to turn an otherwise good hit into a marginal hit on deer/sheep/goat/black bear/caribou-sized game animals. These two sources of horizontal deflection affect each and every shot, so factoring in the compensating dope was a straightforward decision for me. But I've exchanged posts with guys in the past that either don't believe these sources of drift exist, or if they do exist, claim the wind is their more significant source of horizontal drift. I don't take really long shots if it's very windy, so Coriolis and spin drift are often the sole cause of my windage dope on the windage turret. That, or their required dope on the windage turret is similar to the wind required dope.

to me the only thing better than ballistics is physics. at first i thot omg these posts are makin my head spin. but then i actually 'read' them and omg i understand it all. but i was a A student in physics( 40 yrs ago...i just cant recall it all). keep up the good posts guys.

Re: Coriolis Effect - Specifically - Vertical deflection/drift

For those that participated or read/reviewed this Thread, I've spent hours researching Coriolis force and the vertical deflection (drift) Coriolis imparts to bullet flight. As a consequence, I've edited/corrected my Post #2, and Post #5 in this Thread. You might want to re-visit and re-read those two Posts. The correction is strictly with respect to vertical deflection due to Coriolis drift, and the magnitude of that vertical drift at the equator versus at either of the poles. Vertical deflection is maximum at the equator. Vertical deflection is null at either Pole.

This is contrary to my original posts.

At the equator, shooting 210 Berger VLDs out of my 300 Win Mag, vertical deflection due to Coriolis force would shift my POI ~3.7" high shooting due east, and ~3.7" low shooting due west. At my Latitude of 60 degrees north, the vertical deflection to POI at 1000 yds is ~1.7 inches high or low (shooting east versus west). At the north or south pole, vertical deflection from Coriolis force is null - zero - nada! :)

Good shooting! gun) gun)

Re: Coriolis Effect - Specifically - Vertical deflection/drift

I've edited/corrected my Post #2, and Post #5 in this Thread. You might want to re-visit and re-read those two Posts. The correction is strictly with respect to vertical deflection due to Coriolis drift, and the magnitude of that vertical drift at the equator versus at either of the poles. Vertical deflection is maximum at the equator. Vertical deflection is null at either Pole.

This is contrary to my original posts.

At the equator, shooting 210 Berger VLDs out of my 300 Win Mag, vertical deflection due to Coriolis force would shift my POI ~3.7" high shooting due east, and ~3.7" low shooting due west. At my Latitude of 60 degrees north, the vertical deflection to POI at 1000 yds is ~1.7 inches high or low (shooting east versus west). At the north or south pole, vertical deflection from Coriolis force is null - zero - nada! :)

Good shooting! gun) gun)

Thanks for the update!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts