Coriolis Effect half value?

Snowbird

as i've read, the coriolis effect at 1000 yards should be about 3" high shooting east (90*) and 3" low west (270*) for my lattitude here in utah (40*). i'm not sure about if there are half or quarter values for shooting SE, NW, ESE, WNW...similar to wind. How many degrees off of 90/270 would negate the vertical component of the coriolis effect? at what distance does the coriolis effect become noticeable when shooting distance?

also while i've got you, how much effect do you see from spin drift on a right twist barrel in the northern hemisphere?

Your Coriolis numbers will be dependent on flight time of bullet to target. The half and full value type scenario that you are referring to for Coriolis would be a trigonometry function based off of your angle in relationship to directly east or west. Directly east/west target rises or falls relative to line of sight. North or south the target will move in the direction of the earths spin. Any angle in between it will be a combination of the two. Closer to equator values will be larger, closer to the poles the values will be lower.

To get ~true numbers for your cartridge, you would have to plug your ballistics and location into a calculator. Each cartridge can/will be different depending on velocity, BC, weight, barrel twist, etc. There is no set number for all rifles.

it will also matter were you are on the globe less up here in Alaska and more down in ecuador and shooting east or west best to have a 5700 Kestrel trued for your round and rifle

Don't forget to correct for magnetic declination or your numbers will be wrong. Magnetic declination changes based on where you are on the planet. Coriolis adjustments of useful accuracy require that you account for the fact that true north and magnetic north are different but people tend to get their heading with a compass which is giving the user magnetic north.

There's no such thing as a half or quarter value for it (coriolis adjustment) unless you're academically multiplying by .5 or .25 because that's not how angular systems work. If you were to do it the old way shown in military field manuals then you'll be doing it wrong. Doing it wrong will have less of a useful effect than not doing it at all.

<rant> As a sort of side note: The military field manuals do the whole full/half/quarter value nonsense because it's close enough to put bullets at heads-down effect close and it's easier for people with 2 digit IQ's to understand than angle cosines, not because it's "correct". The technically correct way of adjusting for things like that is with angle cosine multipliers. </rant>)

Assuming a magnetic declination of 0deg for simplicity, a 45deg shot angle offset from true east or west produces a cosine of ~.7, not .5. So, if you were to have an indicated full value correction of .1mil for true west then the adjustment for north west (45deg north of true west) would be .07, not .05 as one might think. If you're anywhere near the Mississippi river then it doesn't matter much but as you get near the coasts it starts to matter a great deal as far as the whole thing goes.

Which brings me to my 2nd point: You're getting into the weeds by even bothering with vertical coriolis at such near distances. 3" at 1000yrds is very roughly .1mil which is smaller than the normal average group size from a highly skilled shooter with a highly tuned rifle and it's inside the vertical dispersion that a normal shot-to-shot velocity dispersion would generate. Meaning, you're trying to dial for something that's basically noise. Don't waste the effort. Bothering with it inside of a mile just makes the maths intensely and ridiculously more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. ballistics guy, that's quite a comprehensive post. thanks for taking the time. my goal has been to get consistent 1st round hits on steel at distance with wind and other variables accounted for. what i'm trying to avoid is cumulative errors like left to right wind with spin drift (barrel threaded right) or shooting west at long distance when it is cold out/ east when warm. i was just unsure at what azimuth people commonly disregarded the coriolis effect. i have a factory 6.5cm that shoots under 3" groups consistently at 900 yards but haven't been able to shoot East or West with it. my other semi custom rifles don't do that. they'll hold MOA out that far though.

so for my rifle it seems anything under 600 yards on an moa plate i will not correct for. after that i will likely correct with .1mil if shooting due E or W respectively if i have an aggravating factor.

i'm really trying to get better at recording and interpreting my data. DOPE books aren't my thing but i see the value after trying to chase down previously gathered info. wish i would have started one sooner.

The cumulative effect is why you simply want to turn it on in your app and leave it in and take the few seconds to do the input. The more noise you dial out the less noise there is!!!!

Dude I think you are overthinking things... I don't know what you gonna kill at 1k with a 6.5 anyway...
Dude, I think your reading into this way more, the OP said nothing about hunting, this is ballistics, if we are just trying to cold bore a piece of steel this is enough to put you of especially on a slower round at long range. My 6.5 that runs 400 fps faster than the Creed I have and will wack deer and elk at a grand with it, shot more than a few in the neck at 800+ so with that I see a 1/4 moa swing which is enough to miss the center of the vertebra hence I take any dialable effect into account, why not, does nothing but improve your solution!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts