Defiance Tenacity vs Lone Peak Razor

Jbar280

Anybody have experience with both the Defiance Tenacity and Lone Peak Razor for a custom hunting rifle? I am thinking about building a rifle in 300 win mag with one of these actions. Thinking stainless fluted barrel, mesa altitude stock and BDL type bottom metal. Kicking around the Defiance Anti also to shed some weight but mostly thinking Tenacity vs Razor.. Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Jim

I have multiple of both the Tenacity and the Razors.

They are very close in feel, both are very smooth and slick loading from a bdl mag.

The cock on close with the lone peak is noticeably less in my opinion and sometimes I have to check to make sure a round chambered - because it's so slick.

For positive ejection, I give the nod to the Tenacity, dings the cases plenty wide of the ejection port effortlessly.

For accuracy potential, I can't really see any difference in my rifles - they're both capable of shooting in the .1-.2's with the right load.

I just opted for a Tenacity for my new build, I guess to save a few hundred bucks. But, can't go wrong either way!

cb4128 - Thanks very much for your comments on the two actions. Do you have any recommendations on bdl style bottom metal? I have heard the Hawkins m5 mentioned a fair amount but haven't ever had my hands on that product.

You bet, I like the Hawkins bottom metals. If you are shooting a magnum caliber, I really like the m5 bdl model. Gives you a little extra room in the box to top load and gives you the ability to swap it out for an aics mag bottom metal.

I have that combo on my 300wm and will on my 240wby as well.

Anybody have experience with both the Defiance Tenacity and Lone Peak Razor for a custom hunting rifle? I am thinking about building a rifle in 300 win mag with one of these actions. Thinking stainless fluted barrel, mesa altitude stock and BDL type bottom metal. Kicking around the Defiance Anti also to shed some weight but mostly thinking Tenacity vs Razor.. Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Jim
Lone Peak Razors are hard to beat, I also have an anTi and love it.
If you want to go light the anTi is what I'd recommend, avoid titanium at all cost

Following. I too am curious at avoid titanium. Put my hands on a Lone Peak Razor 300 Nosler build over at West Elk Precision today. Felt plenty slick and their first test groups were shooting 3/8 inch at 100.

Avoiding Titanium at all costs is something that gets tossed around on the inter webs without much backing it. There's a lot of theories but not much real world information. Pierce Engineering has been making Ti actions for years. They have come a long way since the beginning.

The biggest issue is Ti is naturally "sticky" and wants to be grabby and function rough. That however is cured when the bolt is DLC coated and DLC coating the action body helps even more. Having an anti-bind rail that keeps the bolt on track inside the receiver helps a lot too. These things are all standard in a Pierce Titanium action. Believe me when I say they function like butter. It's very hard to feel the difference in smoothness when comparing a DLC coated Ti action to a DLC coated stainless action. Most of the feel difference is simply from the weight difference in the steel.

Finally, Titanium actions are said to exhibit pressure signs earlier. The majority of our customers have never had that issue. If you're running within SAAMI pressures you shouldn't have an issue with heavy bolt lift or any other problems. The whole point of titanium is to be light. If you're trying to hot rod a 6lb mountain rifle it's just the wrong application is all. For those that just can't live with titanium or want to save some money, we have something coming very very soon to address that 😉

Hopefully I don't muddy the op question too much. Since you are asking about SS/Steel actions only here goes. I'm not sure how this thread is turning into a ti debate all ready 🙄.

For me it would be neither. I would lean towards a Pierce. Even these 3 each all have ways they cut corners and reduce machine time and material to make manufacturing less expensive. And match their intended price point.

I haven't been happy with many custom actions and the way they are changing. I am most likely going to have my own drawn up and made to get things how I want. With that said…

The razor and defiance bolts aren't as smooth as the pierce. The tolerances are not as tight.
They still are smooth but not as. I run my guns clean and take care of them so in general they are never too dirty to function.

I actually took 2 actions out last week and had 2 people close their eyes and cycle them. Both said exact same things about each actions. A factory example would be like cycling a tikka against a bergara.

Next the bolt on pierce is more costly to make as far as material goes. It has a real one piece bolt in my opinion
The others have used longer bolt handle with a stud as a shortcut to use less material and I am not a fan. Lonepeaks original bolt was better in my opinion. I don't care for aluminum and steel to be mixed on actions it make inconsistent colors sometimes.

Pierce has blind holes (action hole and bolt stop) which is cleaner to me.

Lonepeak caming is perfect on my fusion I just picked up.
Pierce is smooth but needs a little bit of timing to the trigger I have in.

I don't care for the none integral recoil lugs. This is a cost saver but shouldn't be done.

Tooling marks in my book are unacceptable!
Some actions have better finish.

There are quite a few 1000 dollar price point actions out there. It's a Ford/Chevy/Dodge type thing.
Find what you like. Most any now days you can't get too wrong. I would like to try them all but it costs too much. So that's why I'll most likely do mine own.
Here are a few pictures of a Pierce and a Lonepeak I know it's not the razor but it still gives you an idea of some of the things I'm talking about.

This isn't to be a **** match but just look at the details of each and decide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg