DBM convert backwards to Hinged floorplate or bling mag

etisll40

I have a 7stw built on stiller action in a mcmillan stock with seekins bottom metal and ai cip mags. This seems like about a big an oal mag as I could get. Problem for me, simplicity. I now want to take the gun in the field and i'm thinking, 3.85 oal is enough, but i don't like the hassle and jutting out of a mag system. I kinda want to go to a blind mag or hinged floorplate? Previously I had a hinged floorplate with a wyatt extended box but it seemed flimsy, as one time i opened it and everything popped out. Not fun in the field.

Any ideas? Nothings perfect?

I'd hire a smith here to do the work. I normally don't fiddle.

Thanks.

Hey Lefty, yeah I'm back, a little lay off, but I'm back! lol

I want a blind mag system!

My win 70 7wsm has a blind mag and i like that simplicity in the field. I'll probably not do it on my stw but i had some mag issues and i don't like them. Maybe no biggie but i bought some ai mags, 338lapua cip gor the extra length and the feed lips on the mag were too wide. I had to adjust them to be a little tighter to hold the rounds in the mag, now i'm wondering if the bend i made on the metal will hold? Probably will but it brings up the fear that in the field when i pop it out the rounds pop out rendering me back to single shot for the remainder of the hunt. It hasn't happened so maybe no biggie.

Kind of makes me like the win70 blind mag set up. I would love to set all my field rifles up that way. Just no reason to have more than 3 rounds when accuracy is the game in the field.

Thoughts?

I've gotten to the point where I won't hunt a blind mag. rifle. It's too much of a pain to cycle those rounds through and if you are after shooting hours hunting it may even run afoul of game and fish regs here.

Simple fix is to use a clip, drop floorplate, or single shot rifle and forget the blind mag at home. If your mag is metal it won't bend back if you've bent the lips to feed correctly.

The other thing about going back from a clip fed rifle to a blind mag is you'll probably have to have an internal box mag. made up as the action is probably relying on your mag's feed lips to keep the rounds in place. I'd like to see a 'smith weigh in on this for your action though.

Does no-one make a follower that slides into the magazine well and latches and has a groove in the top for you to lay a bullet for feeding ?
Like this
FredSled01.jpg

Lefty, I guess I need to cycle my rounds a bunch of times and if the smith bent the lips properly, trust that they won't bend back. At least he did it, I tried and I couldn't get the lips to bend at all with a pliers. Maybe he heated it and I should just trust it. My savage 116 bgh, I converted to the savage dbm system and I really like that system as it fits snug in the stock, Nothing jutting out. I'f Savage had a Jewel trigger, I'd standardize on them. Everything else about Savage seems to get it right. Thanks for weighing in, I do like blind mag in my win70 and I do like the savage flush mount dbm system.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.