Convert Ruger bolt to Mag

wildwilderness

So, I am thinking of another project- I have a Ruger M77 MII Long action standard (currently in 35 whelen but not shooting well) that I would like to rebarrel to 375 Ruger. would it be possible to open the bolt face to a magnum diameter? How would that affect the ejector and claw, since its crf? Would it be better to find a new Long action mag bolt? Where would I find one? Also if anyone has done this will there be much magazine work? A new follower? feed ramp adjusments?

Thanks

Probable easier, definitely cheaper to sell that rifle and buy another action or rifle,

Good Luck

Jerry

Unfortunately I know its cheaper to get another rifle! The problem is it was the first gun I ever bought, and killed my first buck/elk/antelope etc. with it so some sentimental value there. So I though to take it on my first trip to Africa....

Rebarrel it to .30-06. I killed ten plains game animals with 10 - 180 grain Nosler Partitions in an 06.

Good luck

Jerry

I want something for Cape Buffalo, some places have a 375 min requirement . Will also be a back up for up close Alaska Brown bear (I live in Alaska)...

Last edited:
Yes, if Cape Buffalo are on the menu, by all means get a .375. I just don't think your current M77 is the platform. Again, with Cape Buffalo you need 100% reliability. They are massive and tough. When I got mine we took 1,500 pounds of meat to the butcher. Head, hide and guts were already removed.

I understand the sentimental value, but if successfully converted to .375 Ruger what else are you planning to hunt with this rifle. Mine does not get much use.

Good Luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.