Custom Rifle Builder Question

Well they can't all be as good as they like to claim!! ..27 different people
just can't build the " Worlds most accurate hunting rifles" Then you have the ones trying to steer you towards something they are trying to get rid of that you don't want!
I've seen people on this list I wouldn't buy a BB gun from! For the very reasons I've mentioned...Which brings up the problem new guys have..Who do you Trust?
Flashest web page? Biggest Claims..Just who??

Well I can't tell you who to trust but I can tell you of the type to avoid.

Avoid the guy that takes 2 months to ship a ready to ship rifle.

Avoid the guy that always has e-mail problems.

Avoid the guy that can't pick up the phone and return a call when you leave a message.

Avoid the guy that is always ready to take a deposit when he is "best guess 16-18 months out"

Avoid the guy that is selling kit rifles guaranteed to ship within 30 days of full payment when he has customers that have been waiting for close to 2 years.

Avoid the guy that is always affected by some natural disaster or a supplier issue.

Avoid the guy that always has an excuse why and you will be much better off.

For a true custom work of art--joe smithson, or Reto Behuler
For precision work-- Dirk Schemmil, Ray Williams
Because I've always wanted one-- model 70 worked over by David Miller
Bespoke shotgun/Double rifle--Westely Richards

I agree with an above poster...each guy his own speciality

I had a guy named lee @ davtac in Bossier City La. re-barrel a model 700 in 6.5 CM that shoots .3 & .2 when I do my part. My action was already trued and blue printed as the Donner was previously a 6mm Br that I had grown board with. My cost was a little over 800 bucks out the door with him paying for the barrel. I was recently at the range shooting beside a fellow who had a 4k rifle built buy someone mentioned in the previous threads that would not shoot with my rifle. I suppose it could have been his hand loads or the trigger motor. My point is you dont have to always spend thousands of dollars to shoot tiny groups.

https://davtac.com/

If just all out Accuracy is the concern Mike R from Tac Ops makes some of the most consistently accurate rifles I've seen proof of. For his 308 I think I've seen test targets in the .0's and .1's and nothing bigger for factory ammo.

I like his rifles but for a hunting rifle I prefer something else.

Well they can't all be as good as they like to claim!! ..27 different people
just can't build the " Worlds most accurate hunting rifles" Then you have the ones trying to steer you towards something they are trying to get rid of that you don't want!
I've seen people on this list I wouldn't buy a BB gun from! For the very reasons I've mentioned...Which brings up the problem new guys have..Who do you Trust?
Flashest web page? Biggest Claims..Just who??
If he was relying on which builder has the flashiest website he wouldn't be here asking for reccomendations from fellow members.

I think that today there are a lot more options out there than there used to be, in fact with the availability of retail parts and places like LRI that will chamber barrels and fit muzzle brakes in a reasonable time frame one could put his own custom together and avoid a lot of the problems that come from having somebody with a flashy website put it together from the ground up.

"If he was relying on which builder has the flashiest website he wouldn't be here asking for reccomendations from fellow members."

Well he wasn't really asking for recommendations..He proposed a hypothetical situation
and got opinions..That's all..Everyone has one...

Wildrose... "If he was relying on which builder has the flashiest website he wouldn't be here asking for reccomendations from fellow members."

This is what I am after ^^^^

Last edited:
I followed the benchrest game for many years. There are a lot of participants there that can assemble an accurate rifle from readily available parts. They don't rely on this income for a living and some are priced right. Yes, there are some that an build their own actions too. They can't sell them though because of govt regulations. They an build an accurate rifle however. Search them out you may be surprised at the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.