Custom Action Recommendation

BrentM

I am looking to set up a new rifle build and was looking to go the route of a custom action this time. I want to stick with SAVAGE threads for prefits so that narrows the field. I also would like to stick with exchangeable bolt heads. While I am at it, I want a left hand action, going short action as well. I know what a pain..

I have looked at:
Big Horn TLS and origin
Nucleous

Are there others I should consider?

adam32

Yep pierce engineering. I have the Ti action and it’s fantastic.
They make an action with Savage threads and interchangeable bolt heads?

Look into the Shilen DGR if they are still around...maybe find an NOS one somewhere.

yorke-1

I've used the Big Horn TL3 and the Origin a lot, but went with a Nucleus for my last project. I like the extractor on the Nucleus better than the T-slot style on the Big Horn, although I've never had an issue with a sliding plate/T-slot extractor before. I also prefer the bolt handle on the Nucleus over the TL3/Origin. Of course you could easily have a custom bolt knob made for the TL3/Origin with a similar profile to the Nucleus' bolt knob. I'm not crazy about the way the Nucleus action uses the scope rail to index the recoil lug, but that's not a big deal.

Other than that I think they're all great actions. There are so many good options in that $1000 price point right now that I really don't think you can go wrong. I will say that ARC isn't always the easiest company to deal with if you have a problem though. Big Horn seems to bee pretty quick to respond to questions, comments or concerns.

Defiance7mm

I know it's not savage... But I'd do a Curtis Vector. You can buy shouldered prefits that you can change with a allen wrench and your hands. No need for barrel vise or go gauge.

Last edited:

jmcmath

Bighorn.

There are so many actions you can do shouldered prefits on now though I don’t see much point in a nut

yorke-1

Bighorn.

There are so many actions you can do shouldered prefits on now though I don’t see much point in a nut
Resale value on the barrel is the biggest reason. I have a couple of shouldered barrels for an ARC Nucleus action that I'd sell, but it's a pretty small market. If those same barrels were a standard Savage thread and used a barrel nut I could have them sold in a matter of days. The same goes for buying used barrels.

jmcmath

Resale value on the barrel is the biggest reason. I have a couple of shouldered barrels for an ARC Nucleus action that I'd sell, but it's a pretty small market. If those same barrels were a standard Savage thread and used a barrel nut I could have them sold in a matter of days. The same goes for buying used barrels.
Good point

corsair4360

I have a Gunwerks Left hand short action 700 clone... I have been informed by the chief financial officer at home building it out has to wait... As far as I am concerned Remington clones are the answer. I have other rifles, parts are the reason I like the 700 clone.

snox801

I can’t recall what the ti action cost or if they actually make what you are looking for. Would be worth a call because they will make you about anything you want depending on work load.
Lots of good options have been given also. I just have no experience with the others stated.

LongBomber

Ultimatum makes an action that uses the savage prefits and a barrel nut. Easy barrel swap and bolt head swap, good way to make a switchbarrel rifle.

wwbrown

I have a number of Stillers and Defiance actions, the stillers are agreat action at a great value. The Defiance actions are finished nicer, polished to a mirror like finish which looks great but does not help you on a hunt.

Stiller was the first to come out with a high end 700 clone and they make a lot of them.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce