Custom gunsmith recommendation

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here. I hunt out west in NE and am looking at a custom build.

Thinking of going with predator action and a carbon wrapped barrel.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Entropy,
I highly recommend Denny Powell, Powell Custom Rifles in Ruidoso, NM. I have a couple of his builds and they're all shooters. He does all of the work himself and he is meticulous.

Now that the OP is inundated with recommendations, I am curious as to who he ends up with. As previously noted, I like to establish a good working relationship with my gunsmith and support my local economy. Good luck to the OP.

I also am curious. I think as other pointed out we have so many good ones new to choose from.
Thanks for the info.. do you have a contact you dealt with over there?
must have missed this post.
Yes I deal with Jim. He is fantastic at explaining things and giving input without telling you what he wants to build you.

You may want to consider an AllTerra Arms custom build. We are the only custom rifle builder that unconditionally guarantees sub .5" moa 3-shot groups with factory ammo, sub .25" groups with our custom ammo, different weight bullets will maintain accuracy and our rifles will never fail to cycle regardless of field conditions. We'll send your rifle to try out for 90-days and if it fails to meet your expectations we will replace it or refund 100% of you money. You can learn more about our rifles at www.allteraarms.com or feel free to call me direct for more details. Best of luck.
Mike Schwiebert, Chief Marketing Officer, AllTerra Arms. 805.400.7064

As others have said, Jim is the man to deal with at Pierce Engineering. He's an extremely nice guy and is very knowledgeable. He will really do everything to help you build the custom rifle you want.

I can highly recommend HS Precision. I had them build me a 300 wsm 18 years ago and it has been my go to rifle ever since. I just upgraded the scope to a 3.5x18 Swarovski. It is the only rifle that I don't handhold for. It shoots 190gr a Cubans under an inch at 300 yards.

wow, Great recommendations.
Is there a smith in the Milwaukee WI area, that someone can recommend? We have great barrel makers in my area.

For Wisconsin - you might want to look up Lee (Christensen? can't remember his last name right now) - his username is Redneck on 24HourCampfire. Lots of guys there are very pleased with his work.

Last edited:
wow, Great recommendations.
Is there a smith in the Milwaukee WI area, that someone can recommend? We have great barrel makers in my area.
Buisse Custom Arms is in Union Grove, WI. He put an Obermeyer barrel on my Tikka and bedded it in a McMillan Game Warden stock. Shoots great.