Custom Action Recommendation

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by BrentM, May 17, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Clifflopez

Clifflopez Well-Known Member

Even a shouldered pre fit?

2. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Hard to find a left handed action. I have built more savages then I can remember right now and use ptg trying tools and CBC lug and nut. Prefits eliminate the Smith process, which I don’t. I do all my own work except barrel spinning and fluting processes

3. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I have shot 3 rifles built on Pierce TI actions.
    1 full Cerakote
    1 Cerakote action w. Nitride bolt
    1 full Nitride
    Each one of them seemed to get sticky bolt lift and moderate levels. No other signs of pressure. And moderate speeds for the cartridge/bullet/powder combo. The full Nitride was better, but still got sticky at mid-range loads with the TI bolt on TI action.

Every Lone Peak TI action I have shot has been great. I have shot 6 rifles built on Lone Peak TI actions. Some full Cerakote, some w. Nitride, and even one in the white. Both the Razor TI and Fuzion TI. SA and LA, mag and standard. 6CM, 6.5SS, 6.5SAUM, 7RM, and two 28 Noslers. All shot loads that started showing pressure on the brass with the smoothest of bolt lifts. Final.loads were all buttery smooth. I am so impressed, I am building my second personal rifle with one.

matt_3479 and Hand Skills like this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Well-Known Member

Yes. You get what you pay for. You are getting a less expensive blank, and faster chambering technique. Still a lot better than a factory barrel. But the barrel is where most of the accuracy improvement comes from and the last place I would try to save money.

5. codym

codym Well-Known Member

I have the same thing in 243 win match and it is a hammer. Shooting in the .2's and 3's regularly with the 110 SMK's. I ordered a SR3 with the wyatt box cut and a mcmillan game warden stock. I plan to do a lighter weight 280 ai/300 win mag switch barrel setup up with proof shouldered prefits. Love my bighorns!

Greyfox likes this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Well-Known Member

I just got an Kelbly Atlas, for the money, IMO tough to beat.

lancetkenyon and matt_3479 like this.
  7. varmint79

varmint79 Active Member