Coyotes won’t come in on a call

Whenever we get a dog hung up on coming to the call we sit silently for a few weeks. I have found not using calls and using scents works just as well if not better than a calI , I usually walk my dog in the area with great success so something along those lines. On that note on old big dogs that have no doubt been educated over the years I use this trick... my wife buys untrimmed chicken and puts the trimmings in a bag for me throughout the year. When I have an educated dog that is really hung up I always bring chicken with me and hit the caller. I don't put the chicken out until after my sets though. I put some all around the set and back out for a few days. Repeat it again, usually by the 3rd time or a week or so later I really screw them up. They learn that the call means food later in the day for them, I will go out and call, then not leave any chicken out. I will return early afternoon or around 2-3 hrs before dark and sit quietly. If the dog isn't seen I will again leave chicken. I have never had this method fail and honestly use it almost all the time now regardless. I used to bag 1 or 2 dogs a year when starting out, now 12-15 is average and I don't go out a lot. I am in upstate NY and they are very hard to hunt here, best of luck
I always say that you are never too old to learn something new. In over 60 years of hunting coyotes, I have heard them called "Yotes," "Coy-Dogs", "Brush Wolf ", American Jackal ", "Prairie Wolf ", "Cased Wolf ","Little Wolf ", but never "Dog"! I believe that there are around 20 different species of coyotes. This must be a millennial acronym I might have missed? I'll have to make a note of it. Dog, huh?

Buying thermal vision has been one of my best investments ever. I have learned so much more about various types of animals actions and reactions just by being able to find and see the sneaky ones. If you ever get a chance to combine calling with thermal, I highly recommend it. Educational. The red light at night calling is next best. Glad you got to see some finally. Doubt I would have been as stubborn or dedicated as you. Yeah, you are gonna have to drive further but that is just part of catching the "bug". Follow brother Coyotes lead, if he wasn't finding anything to kill he would move!

I always say that you are never too old to learn something new. In over 60 years of hunting coyotes, I have heard them called "Yotes," "Coy-Dogs", "Brush Wolf ", American Jackal ", "Prairie Wolf ", "Cased Wolf ","Little Wolf ", but never "Dog"! I believe that there are around 20 different species of coyotes. This must be a millennial acronym I might have missed? I'll have to make a note of it. Dog, huh?

Gone Ballistic,
We have a simpler time frame in Yote hunting I'd say, I'm in Wash but I lived in Idaho for 10 years where I also hunted them. In the early days in the '70s in Wash'..., I heard Coyotes referred to as Dog's, also Dog hunting... many, many times by hunters so I'm pretty sure it's not a millennial thing, no matter; whatever they're called they are fun to hunt. Cheer's

Gone Ballistic,
We have a simpler time frame in Yote hunting I'd say, I'm in Wash but I lived in Idaho for 10 years where I also hunted them. In the early days in the '70s in Wash'..., I heard Coyotes referred to as Dog's, also Dog hunting... many, many times by hunters so I'm pretty sure it's not a millennial thing, no matter; whatever they're called they are fun to hunt. Cheer's
Like I said, you never get too old to learn something new and even an old dog like me can learn new tricks!

I hope that I never stop learning and that I never get to the point that I think I'm smarter then others and they can't teach me any thing of importance . Heck I learn from kids and coyote all the time . I too have been at it for several years and they still amaze me .

Naw it's just easer to learn some thing new every day . The same thing I learned last week is new to me this week LOL

Coyote hunting is an addiction for some of us that is not curable but can be treated by large doses of getting out and doing it .

I have shot a ton of animals all over the world: lion, ele, buff, leopard in Tanz (actually four times Tanz, Zim once and Namibia 3 times). Brown bear and grizz, sheep, moose, and caribou in AK multiple times. Yukon and BC moose. Lots of elk hunting. Have hunted in New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Scotland, Mongolia - but can't get enough coyote hunting. Money kills lots of critters - doesn't help much with coyotes.

Was out this am for a short bit. Nothing came in, but I was mentally reviewing all the tips on this thread. Never too old to learn.

101stCurrahee here,

Thanks for all the tips. Yesterday evening I heard a pick yipping and decided to book it in close towards them. I used the terrain and got set in a bush and blew my hand call. Within 20 seconds this guy rushed me. Over my should on the downwind side I saw him running full speed at me 20-30 yards away. My rifle got caught on my ghillie when I tried to shoulder it, and he did a 180 and booked it. By the time I got it up he was running 100 yards out, but I dropped him with one shot. That was addicting! I really like this technique of spending no more than 10 minutes at a stand before relocating. If they are there and willing they seem to come in immediately. If not there are ones that are somewhere else.

Attachments

• DC3D0C68-6C40-4BEF-B8DA-96B06A0BC37A.jpeg
    DC3D0C68-6C40-4BEF-B8DA-96B06A0BC37A.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 95
101stCurrahee here,

Thanks for all the tips. Yesterday evening I heard a pick yipping and decided to book it in close towards them. I used the terrain and got set in a bush and blew my hand call. Within 20 seconds this guy rushed me. Over my should on the downwind side I saw him running full speed at me 20-30 yards away. My rifle got caught on my ghillie when I tried to shoulder it, and he did a 180 and booked it. By the time I got it up he was running 100 yards out, but I dropped him with one shot. That was addicting! I really like this technique of spending no more than 10 minutes at a stand before relocating. If they are there and willing they seem to come in immediately. If not there are ones that are somewhere else.

I would say 90% of my coyotes come in the first 5 minutes; often within 2 or 3. Very rarely have I had one come in after 15 min; lately, none - because I am packing it in after 15.

It depends on what my reason is for being there as to how long I stay at a stand . If I have a killer that I have to get stopped I may stay a long time but just setting not calling after 15 min or so . You might be surprised at how long it takes a killer to sneak into a calling stand but then mine is done for a different reason then most . I have watched them take over half an hour to get within shooting range . I have also seen where I had to just set and figure out where to snipe them .