Coyotes won’t come in on a call

I imagine if a coyote pops his head out downwind from you looking you straight in the eyes that's probably the only chance you're going to get isn't it? I won't make that mistake again. Haha

A local competitive coyote hunter uses the same hand Cole over and over. Makes me wonder why I spent over $500 on a fox pro they are scared of lol.
I've moved away from electronics. I use it only hand calls. 3 to be exact. Electronics are nice but not necessary. I haven't used electronics for 20 years. Maybe I'm missing something as they've improved over the years. It's just alot less gear when walking miles into my set ups. I don't hunt coyotes this time of year. Too many other activities this time of year but around September thru April, I'm at it. Too much calling is only bad if your set up is bad. Bad wind kills more hunts than over calling. Bad set ups gets hunter busted more than over calling.

VLD Pilot , You sir have some good advice and good common sense . HRM Johnny thank You sir have you read the post ramblings and such from coyote hunting ? Over the many years I have had some good experiences as well as worked with some good people that have as well . I have had the pleasure of meeting some odd characters that did some funny things as well as some that I would just as soon not met ( there truly are evil people in this world ) .

Have not seen anyone mention a decoy; that helps a ton. I use bird distress calls almost exclusively, mostly the starling and woodpecker. Coyote pup distress is good too.

If you aren't bringing in birds of prey, you are doing something wrong. You mentioned glassing; not sure how much you are moving, but I don't even bring binos when coyote hunting - when coyote is moving, he is pretty easy to see.

One thing you may want to try is setting up in a super thick area where you can't see 30 yards and use a shotgun.

Last edited:
Have not seen anyone mention a decoy; that helps a ton. I use bird distress calls almost exclusively, mostly the starling and woodpecker. Coyote pup distress is good too.

If you aren't bringing in birds of prey, you care doing something wrong. You mentioned glassing; not sure how much you are moving, but I don't even bring binos when coyote hunting - when coyote is moving, he is pretty easy to see.

One thing you may want to try is setting up in a super thick area where you can't see 30 yards and use a shotgun.
Would you still use a decoy with a hand call? I'd assume they'd look at where the noise is coming from more than the decoy.

If you can't see 30 yards will they actually come in that close? I think they would get downwind and smel me

Where I live you don't have enough brush that you can't see for a long ways .Live and false decoys work well , that is why people use dogs as well as coyote pups that they have raised for calling , it takes some of the pressure off of you and your smell and movements . I learned this around 50 years ago out in the bush, checking out Chuck , if you are scared , nervous or excited you will put off a heavy body order as well as an aura that animals and even humans that are used to living in the bush will pick up on . The animals would start making noise to warn others that something wasn't right , birds , insects and animals would do this , in short your busted by them . But on the other hand they will also let you know when some one or thing is there also .

Has anyone ever had a coyote get downwind of you smell you disappear and then come back? This one clearly knew I was there. After he winded me I gave it about another 10 minutes before standing up and leaving. But once I did about 200 yards away I saw a coyote freak out and run. Just curious if it might've been the same one giving me another shot, or if there's no way once they smell you it's over.

It's hard to say I wasn't there so can only guess about it . Yes I have called the same one's back after killing one out of 4 called at the same time using injured coyote and got two more of them , I've had them jump over the lead coyote that I just shot and come on in but it's not all that common it does happen though . More common is for it to be a different coyote that you just didn't see at first they are just plain cautious by nature and will be even more so if the population is down in numbers as they are the ones that survived by being that way . It's like I don't even trust myself any more so I'll just take it slow and easy checking every thing out then tell my pups do the same .

Generally they are gone once they smell you but there are no absolute rules in calling coyotes. The coyote you saw 10 minutes later may been the same one or a different one. I've seen coyotes run off and then come back in. I've also had some bad buck fever when coyotes come in. I really enjoy watching them come into calls.

Even if the wind is good, I generally take the first good shot opportunity when they are 200 yards or less. I'm 99% confident I'll kill a none moving coyote that is 200 yards or less. I've hesitated too many times and ended up not getting a good shot opportunity when I had an easy shot at 150 or 200 yards. I've had coyotes smell me and spook as far as 600 yards, so if the wind is headed their direction, I'll shoot them at 300, 400 or any distance I feel confident that I'm unlikely to miss.

Generally they are gone once they smell you but there are no absolute rules in calling coyotes. The coyote you saw 10 minutes later may been the same one or a different one. I've seen coyotes run off and then come back in. I've also had some bad buck fever when coyotes come in. I really enjoy watching them come into calls.

Even if the wind is good, I generally take the first good shot opportunity when they are 200 yards or less. I'm 99% confident I'll kill a none moving coyote that is 200 yards or less. I've hesitated too many times and ended up not getting a good shot opportunity when I had an easy shot at 150 or 200 yards. I've had coyotes smell me and spook as far as 600 yards, so if the wind is headed their direction, I'll shoot them at 300, 400 or any distance I feel confident that I'm unlikely to miss.
This particular one only presented his head. I was using a 3.5x acog and he was at 120 yards. Fairly easy shot....when you're not shaking like a leaf hahaha.

That was exciting. I'm hooked. I wish it was evening quicker.

Has anyone ever had a coyote get downwind of you smell you disappear and then come back? This one clearly knew I was there. After he winded me I gave it about another 10 minutes before standing up and leaving. But once I did about 200 yards away I saw a coyote freak out and run. Just curious if it might've been the same one giving me another shot, or if there's no way once they smell you it's over.
No usually if they get a nose full of human they're gone. When you setup always watch your downwind side.