Coyotes won’t come in on a call

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just how it goes. I have been out chasing coyotes well over 30 times now and still haven't had one in range.

I make sure I set up at least 100 yards off the call crosswind and elevated.

i'm using a fox pro shockwave and have tried about every combination.

The majority of the time they respond to my locator call or pop in distress but don't give a **** about coming in. In fact after 15 minutes or so I might even here them yipping further away.

so far the closest I came was a lone coyote sitting at about 500 yards. She definitely heard my call. She just wouldn't come in.... for an hour and a half she laid down there. Every now and again I would mix up the call and try something new which would cause her to stand up take a few steps forward and then lay back down. Eventually she got bored and strolled off the other way out of sight.

i've tried multiple areas very far apart with the same results. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it usually take this much effort to bag one? it's not like there's a shortage, I hear tons of them.

101stCurrahee,
Maybe it's already been said; try waiting them out a little longer, sometimes they'll look like they are leaving then circle around or they're just better at the waiting game. That would be my first take on the way your question was stated. Back up your caller with a hand call like Herb's Howlers yote call, I've used one from the get-go, a great reed call in a cow horn, the best in my book.
Good luck.

I also found in some locales that locator calls can make them skittish. Around here I have no need to locate coyotes... if there is cover, there are coyotes, period.

That's a good coyote you took a picture of . That one my have been aerial gunned depending on where you are there may be some USDA guys around . Just start out on low volume with your call then after 10 or 15 min. turn it up for 1 or 2 min then back down . Fawn blats work fairly good this time of the year . If they are hanging up at 500 yards stop calling and just set there for 10 or 15 min. then start out with low volume and a new sound . I have watched them just set or lay and watch for half an hour or more when they do that but when I put on the Johnny Stewart 101 coyote puppy sound on at low volume their ears would perk up then they would stand up listen for a few seconds and come on the run more often then not . It seems like adult coyote vocalizations don't work as well this time of the year for me here in Wy. and I usually stop using them in mid June here . Coyote can hear your hand call for well over a mile even if you muffle it with a gloved hand . I have spotted them with my binos. out past a mile and watched them when starting to call them with hand calls , and seen them stop stand still get the location of the sound and start in toward it . They make their living in their world by seeing, hearing and just paying attention to their surroundings they know when birds tell them that there is food ready to be eaten if you aren't calling birds of prey or scavengers in to you with your calling then you need to figure out what to change so you can do that . Often the scavenger birds will tell on a coyote that is sneaking in on you . I have killed a few thousand coyote in my life time and have never stopped learning from them .
if you aren't calling birds of prey or scavengers in to you with your calling then you need to figure out what to change so you can do that . .... I'm from WY as well and would love to watch you work!

if you aren't calling birds of prey or scavengers in to you with your calling then you need to figure out what to change so you can do that . .... I'm from WY as well and would love to watch you work!
Excellent advice,seldom do, I not call in a red tail or eagle with distress calls.Actually ticks me off!

It's not the call that makes you successful. It's the sound! Fox Pro, Icotec, whatever you choose is fine but it's the sounds that make you successful. Don't give up on electronic calls as you have so many more options than with a hand call. Yes, have a few hand calls too as that contributes to your success with having a few more options. I've called a coyote from over 1,000 yards with a hand call. These varmints hear really good ... their life depends on it.

Well I'm sold. Heading to return this fox pro and pick up a hand call from a local guy that said he slays them with it. I can use this $500 towards a proper coyote rifle so I can smack them for several hundred yards away.

I guess price doesn't equal effectiveness, and in this case it may be the opposite.

Thanks for the help.

Just curious, what is the average Joe consider their success rate to be in an area with plenty of coyotes? Not that I am not enjoying the hunt, but None in over 30 trips is pretty rough
I use a couple of 50 year-old Burnam Brothers Calls. Still works. Sometimes.

Don't call the same area on a regular basis. Even though you know coyotes are there, they have already figured you out and your chance of calling them in after educating them is very low. Let that place rest at least a month or two before you try calling it again. If you really want to get those particular coyotes this summer, you are better off baiting, spot and stalk or trying to ambush them along likely travel routes. I try not to call the same place more than once or twice per year.

By far the most important part of calling coyotes are your decisions and actions before you even start calling. Many new coyote callers get too focused on trying to find the perfect sound. Stand selection and not being seen, heard or smelled by coyotes during your approach are absolutely critical. If they have already identified you as human before you start calling, they are not going to come in.

You have probably called in many coyotes if you have attempted 30 days of calling, you just haven't seen them. I would estimate that I see less than 50% of the coyotes I call in every year. I've called in many coyotes with experienced hunters sitting next to me and I would estimate I'll spot at least 50% more coyotes than most and 90% more coyotes than some of them.

You don't need expensive or a wide variety of calls to call coyotes. Just like you don't need more than one rifle and shotgun to kill coyotes. Many of us like using different stuff for fun though. In the last 12 months I've killed coyotes with six different rifles as well my shotgun. If I had only two hand calls to use this next year, I think I could still call about as many as I did last year. With that said, I have at least 20 different hand calls, a few diaphragm calls and two e-callers including the Foxpro shockwave. The shockwave is a good call, I've called in over 100 coyotes with mine. There are many other good e callers out there as well. I do think a hand call with a different sound than they have heard is often more effective when calling pressured coyotes.

Even after killing 100's of coyotes, I still feel lucky every time I'm able to fool one into coming in. Coyotes are true survivors. Even with unlimited hunting, trapping, government funding poisoning and aerial gunning, coyotes are still thriving. If every other form of life is killed off on our planet, coyotes and cockroaches will find a way to survive.