Coyotes won’t come in on a call

And if possible, try calling at night with a red light. If it's not legal in your area, see if you can call that way without a gun. Sometimes you are calling them in just not seeing them. It is a huge confidence builder and let's you see their approach routes.

And if possible, try calling at night with a red light. If it's not legal in your area, see if you can call that way without a gun. Sometimes you are calling them in just not seeing them. It is a huge confidence builder and let's you see their approach routes.
I have spent the last 10 nights from sundown to sun up using night vision and calling.
It did not build my confidence 😂

I believe their eyesight and hearing is incredible. But with my last electronica call there were coyotes sitting out about 1000 yards who clearly did not hear it at all. They were playing with each other oblivious

Yup heard that one before not going to fall for that one again it's some guy setting over there that will make a really loud noise and maybe even throw some dirt in my face if go over there . Lets just have some fun over here instead .

A friend of mine's son sits in a bean field on a 5gallon bucket calls them in and uses only a 12 ga and he shoots the hell out of em but here in the arm pit of nation Illinois the coyotes have not been pressured much they have a taste for small dogs and cats

In 1987 I was up on the mountain , doing a coyote complaint , and had been calling for 20 min. when a coyote came down from my left hand side off of a ridge with his nose in the air . He was within 150 yards of me and didn't show any signs of knowing that the call was even playing , at that time I had a Johnny Stewart MS 512 cassette tape call , the latest and greatest of the day . Any way he didn't pay any attention to the call he just wandered around for awhile then laid down in a willow patch curled up and was getting ready for a nap when I shot him not sure if he was the only deaf coyote I've met or if he just didn't care what the sound was but he ended up not caring about anything .

Sounds like the dumb ones are all dead. Might need to expand your calling area and let that one rest until spring pups are out learning to hunt.
Yeah no kidding after reading the stories somethings obviously up with the ones I'm after. Except for a few rare instances it would seem whatever call I use drives them away instead of closer here. I tried to hand call last night moving 500 to 1000 m between stands being very careful with cover for several hours. Once again I heard them but they didn't care about what I had to offer.

How do you find the ones that are less pressured and haven't been called to death? Just drive further out in the desert than everyone else?

Agree with a lot of you guys out there. This time of year they are not searching for a massive meal all the time. If you really watch them, in the evenings they are even out playing and just slowly working fields. Electronic calls this time of year are totally unnecessary actually. Get a good hand call and just keep it quiet. During the fall and winter months I use a little more lung but with the dry air, a little louder is all you need these guys will hear and smell a cottontail fart a mile away.

Simple guidelines I follow:
-Stay low and quiet
-Mix up you calls don't be afraid to use a the uncommon ones
-Know you and you weapons capabilities.
-Limit your misses as all you are doing is educating them
-Have Fun

I don't put my call box but 50 feet from me. Brings them in that much closer. Set up a good hide, stay still. Rabbit in distress, wait 5 minutes, rabbit in distress, rinse repeat. If they won't come close, shoot em' far. Hold left edge and send it ;)
While living in Florida, I bought a similar call, installed batteries, turned it on the Cottontail Distress to see if it worked there in my front yard. I look up, and TWO coy-dogs were running right at me! Ran in, grabbed a Model 7 in .223, and slayed the female as they hightailed it across the neighbors empty lot!!!

I haven't had enough experience or know enough to teach anyone anything about coyote hunting .

So I should have multiple hand calls too? What kinds do you recommend carrying?

also how the hell do you keep hand calls quieter? It seems like it's either full blast or it sounds like garbage

Yes. I usually call for about a minute then stop and wait and glass. this one in particular only stood up and took a few steps the second I change calls and started again. But then she stopped and laid back down
Hi I shoot foxes in Wales but it's the same principle, first of all dont start calling imediatelly when you arive at your calling spot,start with something quiet like a little mouse call just for no more than 20 sec, then no calling for around 3-5 min to give the coyoties a chance to come in, I have seen foxes come in from over 500y with just a mouth mouse call. Do you have a coyote bitch on heat call on your fox pro? the vixen on heat can work all year round but does work better during the mating season, above all Don't tallk ,smoke no aftershave etc dont refuel your car on the way to your hunt, have plenty of patience and enjoy;)

Coyote hunting has become the lastest greatest fad....45yrs ago you could literally call them from the cab of the pickup...that rabbit sound only meant one thing to them back then.
Today it usually means "humans nearby....better double check down wind, up wind and sneak in or wait till I see some other dog goes in first"
...I've had a lot of success years ago....BUT it always was after a well planned approach and modest hike to the stand, good camo...and sitting still in the shade..mouth calls, howlers and squeekers..too much exposure setting up an electric call.

Last edited:
Coyote hunting has become the lastest greatest fad....45yrs ago you could literally call them from the cab of the pickup...that rabbit sound only meant one thing to them back then.
Today it usually means "humans nearby....better double check down wind, up wind and sneak in or wait till I see some other dog go in first"
...I've had a lot of success years ago....BUT it always was after a well planned approach and modest hike to the stand, good camo...and sitting still in the shade..mouth calls, howlers and squeekers..too much exposure setting up an electric call.

Agreed used to go with Gramps with a siren on the cab of pickup and shoot out the window lol. I really enjoy the actual hunting of them and the challenge now though.