learning to call coyotes

heineken8119

I just got my father in laws calls for predators and am really wanting to learn of to call in coyotes. Wish he could show me his techniques but passed away last summer. I was wondering if anyone knows a good book or video i could use to help me out to practice different techniques and become more successful with them.

I like the johnny stewart, operation predator videos pretty well. They are not really "instructional" but you can emulate what you see and they do have tips on how to use their calls at the end.

Basicly for rabbit calls just male a "waaah" sound into it like a crying baby in shorter spurts cause rabbits have small lungs. If birds of prey respond, your sound is ok. The hard part is usually being undetected, making the approach and getting a visual on the wiley suckers. They have responded to calling I thought was hopeless, when the rest of the puzzle was right.

Blowing on the call and making a prey distress sound is actually the easiest part of the whole ordeal.

Believe it or not, if you're calling in undisturbed "fresh" areas (where the yotes haven't heard every Tom, Dick and Harrys' rendition of wascally wabbit in pain); then the sound makes little difference.......If you blow it they will come.

Being successful is alot more about our approach to the set, setting up in a place we can see them coming, being mindful of wind direction and how our scent is being distributed, being mindful of where the coyotes probably are and where they will likely come from, keeping our movement to a minimum, our un-natural noises quiet and our outlines broken by cover. Additionally; how we handle the approaching coyote/coyotes and finally, making our shots count.

Remember, every coyote that gets away alive (especially if missed or wounded) will be educated and may not respond to that type of sound again for quite some time. I've even seen the adult coyotes teach their pups not to respond to a particular sound. Anyone who calls coyotes will educate some, but the idea is to keep that number down to the absolute bare minimum. Most of us don't have unlimited acres of virgin places to call these days, and all the newbies (no offense meant) have managed to educate a boatload of coyotes for us.

Best of luck.

+1 on Bruce, Set up is the most important factor in coyote hunting.

Also I would suggest a good decoy like the Mojo. Coyote hone in on the call and if your the caller they are focused on YOU! So watch your movement. Years ago I bought a Foxpro 16B, that helped increase my coyote kills because it allowed me to get away with more movement in open country. The decoy was the next big +. Hawks will often focus in on these as well which can bring a coyote in and seal the deal.

Jon

I'd suggest spending the 12 or so dollars on Randy Andersons Mastering the art video. Its a 2 hr video on the ins and outs of calling as well as how to set up. You can buy em direct from Primos online @ primos.com......money well spent

Frank

All very good advice. I'll second Randy Anderson's Mastering the Art video as a good starting place. You'll learn something from any of the videos out there but RA's is probably the best for sounds particularly. Tony Tebbe's "So you want to be a predator caller" video is not the greatest production but there is a lot of good info in it.

Primos Mastering the Art DVD only

Tony's DVD isn't catalogued yet but it's available from NOS also for $24.95 + S/H. PM me if you're intersted.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.