Coyote rifle build suggestions

FMJ for 0 pelt damage except for entry and maybe exit wounds. I've killed lots of yotes with fmj's (mainly head shots). Shooting from a helo is the only time I didn't always get head shots. Out to 1k I'd go with a 26cal minimum short action. Less drift and drop than calibers smaller and good bc's to boot!

I run a clip on thermal and have both optics for one rifle. It does work but it's not cheap. I have friend who kills 500 plus yotes a year using a 20 practical. He's a night hunter, long range shooter, and excellent caller.
That's going to be next next AR15 built, 20 Practical. My hope is to zero it for coyotes within 300 yards I'll aim dead on. After that I'll use drops out to 500 yards. Beyond that I'll use my 260 AI.

That's going to be next next AR15 built, 20 Practical. My hope is to zero it for coyotes within 300 yards I'll aim dead on. After that I'll use drops out to 500 yards. Beyond that I'll use my 260 AI.
Sounds perfect. My 20" 204 runs a 39 graim at 3780. 200 zero is a Point Blank to 300, -4 inch's. So hold top of back on the flats and send it. Angles, aim dead on. 400 is 3.0 moa, 500 is 5.1 moa. Still cruising 2171 fps. I've killed a lot of yotes at those ranges and it's hard to beat.

Thanks for all the input guys. I pulled the trigger on an 18" carbon 22 Creed AR10 barrel from BSF. With all the love for 22-250, seems like a good option for performance, and the quick follow ups from a semi.

I have an old lot of 73gr AMAX bullets I plan to try loading first.

hunted 1/2 my life with bolt guns , the next 1/2 with both AR platforms and bolts .
For coyotes and hogs , AR all the way if your baiting hogs or calling yotes , many times there will be multiple targets . 6mm arc would be my choice from the cals u listed.
i personally use the 6.5 grendel as i have many 6.5 cals and a shelf full of that cal bullets to hand load for.
i run a 95 gr Vmax and coyotes just plain dont get back up from a hit .
223 they can spin and run and shake off the hit needing fast follow ups. Shot placement is key to anchor them with 223 head ,neck , hi shoulder works perfect.
if your saving pelts then smaller, light , varmit bullets are key .
for me im saving my livestock and could care less about a pelt thats worth $6-$8
If your just shooting when you see them hunting around your property , then a bolt gun is a little cheaper .
A custom built accurate AR will set you back a few bucks but very worth it if your shooting ranges are extended. Coyote have alot of hair which makes then look bigger than they are .
im not gonna suggest hunting at night as the budget to do so will scare the most understanding wife into a rabid encounter !!

you have been warned ,

PS
thermal , NV , caller, and other gear for night hunting cost is expensive
and SO WORTH IT !
I'm with dug...no pelt collector here.

I had the same problem with spin and run off on occasion with 223 and switched to AR in 6.5 Grendel.
I Mexican Match most of my yote rounds by pulling cheap (back when I bulk bought) 100 grain Wolf Classic and seating Speer 90 grain TNT or Nosler 90 grain Varmegeddon. That way I don't worry about lost brass. They shoot very well in my AR Performance barrels and will drop them in their tracks!

For short range work, I like the AR in 204 or 223. I prefer the 204 in a semi auto platform but every time I go, I wish I packed a 6mm. I started hunting coyotes with a 243 and prefer the 6mm options over smaller calibers. Especially if pelts aren't a consideration. Get a good scope with lots of field of view.

This is my first post but predator hunting is some thing I've been doing for many years. I personally use a Ruger American Ranch 16 inch barrel 556/223. I also sometimes use my cz17 hornet. Majority of my kills have been 40 yards or less.

I personally probably won't ever build a coyote gun and will only use over the counter rifles. My predator guns are down and dirt gun which I don't care if they get scratched and the areas I hunt that would be something very likely. My nice rifles are designed for larger game.

But the people I know that have in the past have built off of a Kelby action in either a 22-250 or 243ai.

Other options which I feel would be better for today is 6mm, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creedmoor.

When it comes for scopes I primarily use a 2.5-10 power scope and it usually never leaves the 2.5. Unless I am pretty certain I have a good shot
On a predator for long range I potentially will pass on it so I don't educate. We have way too many coyotes and predators that have been educated because people are just talking long range shots without a realist ability to even kill it.

Just my .02 cents

Sounds perfect. My 20" 204 runs a 39 graim at 3780. 200 zero is a Point Blank to 300, -4 inch's. So hold top of back on the flats and send it. Angles, aim dead on. 400 is 3.0 moa, 500 is 5.1 moa. Still cruising 2171 fps. I've killed a lot of yotes at those ranges and it's hard to beat.
That's awesome. I'm hoping my handload will be a 40 gr vmax going 3650 fps. With a 260 yard zero I should be +/- 2.0 inches out to 300 yards. The Nikon Buckmaster mildot 4-14x is wierd. It's reticle only subtends on 12X. I calculate it's 15% off at 14X. So it should work on 14X the first mildot will be my 400 yard marker, the second dot is 500 yards, and the third could be 600 yards. But if it works out to 500 yards that'll be great, help increase my kills on those yote I drive up on or call in.

I have a 20 practical built on a Sako L461 action 22" Lilja barrel. The gun is great. The cartridge is awesome. I wanted cheap ammo in a 20 cal. The 204 Ruger didn't apply for the cheap part. So I shoot 34gr varmint extremes with 26gr H335, gives me around 3900fps if I remember correctly. The gun is accurate as heck and just fun. 223 brass is easy to get and I have 5 gallon buckets of it. I used to buy 500 bullets for $50. They now seem to be $70 per 500 still affordable to slam yote and pdogs

6 saum with 80 grain hammer bullet 3880 fps, 285 yard zero allows hold on coyote to 400 yards, works great at night with thermal and during the day, used only for coyote hunting barrel should last quite a few calling seasons, another perk is even going as fast as it does the hammer bullets dont wreck fur, just bang flop.